Posted at 1:14 PM ET, 08/21/2009

Food for Thought at Tastee Diner

By Washington Post Editors

Tastee Diner released this grainy surveillance video after a recent controversy involving two lesbians, who were reportedly asked by a manager to leave the restaurant for expressing affection.

The couple, Aiyi-nah Ford and Torian Brown, said they were simply holding each other on Aug. 12 when a Tastee Diner manager requested they get out. They believe a straight couple would not have been treated the same way.

"Their exact words were, 'This is a family establishment, and people are trying to eat,' as though interaction between Torian and I was something to the effect of 'Fear Factor,' if you've ever watched that show," Ford told Channel 4.

Tastee Diner managers believe the cuddling went over the line, and they posted the surveillance video of the allegedly offensive behavior on YouTube Thursday to bolster their position. They left this message with the footage:

We believe inappropriate behavior is what was going on here and that the discrimination allegations are false. In this video, the couple was sitting right inside the restaurant front door pressed up against each other and during their interaction, one was burying her face in the other's breasts. They were asked to tone it down but responded angrily so they were asked to leave. Nothing more - any couple regardless of gender or sexual orienation would have been asked to leave Tastee Diner in the same situation.

So, which is it? Discrimination or inappropriate behavior? Roll the tape, vote in our poll and explain your reasoning in the comments below.

By Washington Post Editors  | August 21, 2009; 1:14 PM ET
Tags:  discrimination, lgbt, silver spring, tastee diner
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Boxed In by Fairfax Schools' 'Race Survey Form'
Next: My Health-Care Story: Refuse a Test, Pay a Price

Comments

Why hasn't the Post had an article about this incident?

Posted by: subwayguy | August 21, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

"Why hasn't the Post had an article about this incident?"
****************************************
What did you just read? Good grief! You want front page treatment for a non-story like that?

Posted by: st50taw | August 21, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

I'm in total shock that anyone in their sane mind could vote that conduct as inappropriate. My god. Resting hands on shoulders, standing between legs of seated person, resting head on chest/shoulder for moments - this is the most ordinary couple behavior I have seen and it should be encouraged! Tastee Diner is disgracing themselves with their horrendous response to this situation and their overall attitude. I find it alarming, disturbing, and pretty depressing. I didn't think a business could be so ignorant. If this is inappropriate, I guess all PDA is. Give me a break, the manager stalked them because they are gay and/or black, period. The conduct wasn't even borderline inappropriate. You see it every day at airports, parks, pools, beaches, etc. It's nice, especially in this icky world. We've seen Barack Obama and Michelle Obama do the very same and have celebrated it! This world is so backward.

Posted by: bmorebent | August 21, 2009 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Offensive????

Hell, its the bald guy who would turn me off of my Tastee Foodee. He exhibited 100% offensive body language. He should be removed, forcibly if necessary, by the health inspector.

Posted by: Dennis12 | August 21, 2009 5:46 PM | Report abuse

I would have lost my lunch. Tastee Diner has my vote. I don't need to be so demonstrative with my husband to prove a point.

Beside, they are really, really unattractive lesbians.

Posted by: Cornell1984 | August 21, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Here's a little follow-up, if you're interested:

Posted by: bobsewell | August 21, 2009 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Check out videos on the net and you can find pictures of women flashing their breasts in family restaurants. I've seen women groping mens' genitals through jeans at bus stops in cities. Shouldn't a public street be family friendly too?

Compared to plenty of other stuff I've seen at "family friendly" places, this is tame.

Posted by: alysheba_3 | August 21, 2009 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Christ all mighty.

If the Tastee Diner, give these two lesbians anymore latitude.

These two shrub scouts, would have started chowing each others pantie pies, instead of the apple pie from the cooler.

Posted by: dashriprock | August 21, 2009 6:25 PM | Report abuse

fookin rednecks run the tastee, always have...

Posted by: natty-bumppo | August 21, 2009 6:35 PM | Report abuse

they were doing it on purpose to get a reaction, or lawsuit.

Posted by: loudountaxrevolt | August 21, 2009 6:52 PM | Report abuse

The video is too grainy to say but it just seems the one lady was holding the other in her arms. I didn't see anyone's head going down the other's bosom. As long as there wasn't anything going on that was below the neck or steamy, they should've just let them alone. If I was waiting on them, I'd probably ask them if they needed anything, given them their bill and let them go.

Posted by: jodair2 | August 21, 2009 7:49 PM | Report abuse

I never object to carpet munching.

Posted by: Bitter_Bill | August 21, 2009 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Aiyi-nah and Torian: Forget the Tastee Diner. You ought to try the Savory Cafe in Takoma Park instead. The food is way better and nobody will hassle you about being gay.

Posted by: pjkiger1 | August 21, 2009 8:29 PM | Report abuse

If this was a man and woman, NOTHING EVER would be said,

Posted by: onesugar1 | August 21, 2009 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Everything is not about discrimination!

And as a minority saying it is discrimination when other issues could be the cause lessen the gravitas of real clear cut cases of discrimination.

I have been uncomfortable seeing straigth couples get a little to frisky in public--sitting on each other..I think is too much.

If someone grabs someone crotch--that should be in place where someone has an expectation of privacy.

They should lose the case.

Posted by: 411Tibby | August 21, 2009 9:38 PM | Report abuse

OK,,,I'd like/ lick to order, the yeast feast for two please!!

Posted by: dashriprock | August 22, 2009 2:04 AM | Report abuse

Was she motorboating those mammaries? Hard to tell. If not, seems like over-reaction.

Posted by: RealityCheckerInEffect | August 22, 2009 8:56 AM | Report abuse

if i were trying to eat there, i wouldnt have cread straight gay, gender, whatever. i think more than a head on the shoulder, quick kiss, etc should be done in your own place. there is NO need for excessive pda like that (yes. get a table with two chairs.)
i think that if they did ask them t knock it off first and got angry remarks they have every right. if they didnt ask them to stop it first, then they should have. but in a private establishment, with that much pds (you mean to tel me a guy burrowing his head into his gf's breasts wouldnt bother you either?!?!?!) they had every right to make them leave. that went on for WAY too long before they were asked anyway for it to be on the grounds of discrimination. come on now.

Posted by: greeem01 | August 22, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

poor, ugly, fat, stupid lesbians please get a room. you are violating my "pursuit of happiness". why do you do this in public? ugh

Posted by: charlietuna666 | August 22, 2009 8:15 PM | Report abuse

A heterosexual couple doing the same thing would not have been asked to leave, they may not have even been asked to stop.

There needs to be less hate for the sake of hate in the world. Life is hard enough as it is, at least there are two people in the world who can get along!

Posted by: k-wilborn | August 23, 2009 7:40 AM | Report abuse

This appears to me to be not about two lesbians being kicked out of a diner, but two people that needed to get a room. Straight or gay no one wants to see you making out in public, especially while they are eating.

Posted by: metroman76 | August 23, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Clearly inappropriate. who wants to watch that when they're trying to keep diner food down....

Posted by: vinnie777 | August 24, 2009 10:49 PM | Report abuse