Posted at 5:52 PM ET, 12/18/2009

Step back, doors closing -- sucker!

By washingtonpost.com editors

By Nicolas Wical
Falls Church

Normally, I am not one to complain about Metro service. I’m used to the crowds and the jostling. It comes with working in the District. But a recent morning’s trip was by far the rudest I’ve ever encountered.

The morning train was crowded as usual; however, the Metro operator decided to offload the train, allegedly because of a problem with the doors. Understandable and reasonable — if it had been true. But once a number of people had exited the train, she shut the doors and told those who were still on board that they were lucky and could stay. She then left to resume her normal route while the rest of us stood on an already-crowded platform. Forty-five minutes later, I managed to get on another train.

I understand crowding and doors that won’t shut. I certainly understand that there are times when trains must be off-loaded. But if you have to do so, out of fairness, shouldn’t everyone have to get off?

You, Ms. Metro Operator, added a great deal of stress to your passengers lives at an already busy time of year.

By washingtonpost.com editors  | December 18, 2009; 5:52 PM ET
Categories:  HotTopic, Metro, Virginia
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Betting where you bank?
Next: A 'pure' GOP? Not if it wants to win in D.C.

Comments

Metro doesn't give a darn. They don't care. Take it or leave it is their motto. Don't like it? Get back in your car or on your bicycle.

If you say "we regret the incovenience" over & over & over again, what does it mean? You might as well just put it on a loop. If you REALLY regretted it, you would see to it that the problem/delay didn't happen every other day.

METRO - IT'S ALWAYS SOMETHING!

Posted by: uncivil | December 18, 2009 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Train operator should be fired for doing that, period.

Posted by: WashingtonDame | December 19, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

You should report that incident, if you haven't already. Time of train, where you were offloaded, Red, Blue, whatever line, and what the operator said. Metro should be able to i.d. the driver. That should NEVER have happened, and unprofessional workers like that need to be disciplined.

Posted by: dvotion | December 19, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Coming from rural Ohio 20 years ago it's sad to see the condition of metro. I can take the crowds and occasional delay but I must say....Metro somehow has hired the RUDEST employees I have seen anywhere. Day after day I see them talk to people like dogs, dismiss people, close bus and metro doors on people, myself being on the receiving end many times and yet I have always been in Metros corner. Why not adopt NYC's idea, let automated already prerecorded voices inform you of delays etc. It's apparent noone had trained Metro employees to talk to anyone. I'm truly sick of it. If you're disgruntled take a few weeks off. Metro employees listen up... You work in a job
where questions are 90% of your job. I'm tired of your bad behavior.
Some unemployed NICE person somewhere needs a job. Some nice
person somewhere cares that I get to my destination.

Posted by: Nightingale2 | December 20, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

be spoken to properly? please, dian fossey has a better chance.

Posted by: proudgaycuban | December 20, 2009 5:25 PM | Report abuse