Posted at 4:05 PM ET, 05/17/2010

Do you like D.C.?

By Washington Post editors
LOCAL BLOG NETWORK

Washington is a transient city, with a bad reputation. Everybody is from somewhere else, and thinks their hometown is better. Politicians run entire campaigns on how they're not creatures of the Beltway. Nobody really likes D.C.

Or do they?

I for one, think D.C. is a great town. Our architecture is top notch, our neighborhoods are lively, our Metro (problems though it may have) is world-class. There aren't many cities in America that can make those claims.

Apologies to the likes of Indianapolis and Tulsa, but D.C. blows most American cities out of the water. Maybe Washington can't quite measure up to New York or Paris, but how many cities can? By any reasonable standard, I say this is a great town.

What do you say?

Dan Malouff blogs at BeyondDC.com . The Local Blog Network is a group of bloggers from around the D.C. region who have agreed to make regular contributions to All Opinions Are Local.

By Washington Post editors  | May 17, 2010; 4:05 PM ET
Categories:  D.C., HotTopic, Local blog network
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: NextBus accuracy slips, "ghost buses" explained
Next: Growth does NOT cause congestion

Comments

hear hear! I've lived here for four years and for a very long time, I was a transient that hated this place as much as the next guy. Then, one night late last summer, I found myself biking across the national mall on 7th street, coming from a night class and going to a art gallery opening. On my way, I spotted two friends who were going to play night frisbee in Logan Circle. I decided to join them. Then, it hit me: I am home.

This is a great town. It's got lots of problems, and at times I can't help but feel like it has all the trappings of a great American city except a soul. But when all is said and done, this is one of the few places where you can build a solid community around you and not feel like you are doing so in a small town. I love how international it is, and how those who do live here (and consider themselves to be DC residents) defend it and work to improve it. I like how things are changing very rapidly. I want to be a part of it. I want to invest in DC. This is a city with a very bright future.

Posted by: supersmax | May 17, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

It is a great city, but what makes it less (in some intangible way) is the fact that it feels rootless. If you live in NW or other gentrified parts of town, hardly anyone is from here, and even the career DC types talk of leaving upon retirement. It doesn't have that generations have lived here feel, and you can tell by the way people treat each other on the street--passive indifference. I love DC, but I miss that element that makes a place a community.

Posted by: caroleg | May 18, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Depends on where you live in DC, if you live in the murder zones its rather hellish and I for one cannot wait to get out. The nice parts of town are indeed quite nice.

Posted by: mendelsonmustgo | May 18, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Malouff's love for DC is based on his pedantic view of architecture. The reason I avoid DC is their small roads, and all the shootings I hear of. Malouff has only looked at what he has chosen to and make a generalized statement.

Posted by: flaxseedsrgood | May 18, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

what small roads? you mean no highways cutting through the city?

Posted by: yrb1 | May 18, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

i think the fact that dc is a transient city is what makes it a great place! yes, it's difficult to establish a sense of community when its residents are constantly in flux. however, this kind of environment also fosters a more open mind set. we've all had different life experiences, differnt cultures, different opinions- what a great place to bring it all together! i've spent my adult life living up and down the east coast. i like that dc does not have the nyc snobbishness of being the "greatest place on earth" and "i cannot leave this island" mentality. if all our residents live and breathes the same city for generations on end, they won't know what else is out there. i tend to avoid these people.

Posted by: coffeeaddict1 | May 18, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

To those who hate DC because of the shootings:

1. What decade are you living in? The crime rate is nothing like it was 29 years ago.

2. Studies have shown that despite the city's relatively higher crime rate, most suburbs are actually more dangerous places to live, because the rate of car accidents is so much higher. Suburbanites are far more likely to be killed in a car crash than urbanites are to be killed by crime.

Posted by: Dan Malouff | May 18, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: whfr | May 19, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

There are lots of people who are not transients in DC. . Its a great city with issues like any big city has. No other city has the National Mall, museums that are free to get into and a zoo too. Who doesn't like to see all the monuments at night? Fireworks for the 4th whether you're watching from Arlington Cemetery, the Mall, or Mount St Albans(great view from there, it's the church next to the National Cathedral). All the ethnic restaraunts, the Taste of DC festival... I could go on and on. Yes there are lots of transients, but there are lots that aren't too. But why would you want to live somewhere completely stagnant? Plus my DC license plates get me out of tickets far away from DC(it's sad and funny when a cop says your plates aren't coming up when he runs them under Maryland).

Posted by: whfr | May 19, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse