Posted at 11:14 AM ET, 06/28/2010

Deaf ears to summer danger

By Vince Rinehart

By Tanya Spann Roche
Beltsville

A disturbing sight greeted me when I was dropping off my son at day care recently. A little girl was sitting in the sunny back seat of a parked car with all of the windows up. Obviously hot, she was fanning herself with a piece of paper. I rushed over to ask her whether if she could open her door, and she seemed too young to understand. I tried the doors, but they were locked. I called the day-care center for help, and while I was on the phone, a woman strolled out and opened the car. Relieved but still upset, I asked whether if she knew how dangerous (and illegal) it was to lock a child in a car with the windows up on a hot day. She told me to mind my own business and got mad at me for touching her car.

I was stunned. How often do we hear about forgotten children dying in overheated cars? But for a mother to leave her child intentionally without rolling down the windows is just heartbreaking. According to the American College of Emergency Physicians, the temperature in a car parked in the sun can quickly reach 130 degrees inside even if it’s only 80 degrees outside.

I hope that little girl will be okay. How sad to think that I may be more concerned for her safety than her mother is.

By Vince Rinehart  | June 28, 2010; 11:14 AM ET
Categories:  HotTopic, day care, public health, weather
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Corey Stewart wants Virginia to be Arizona
Next: What would McDonnell do with Metro board seats?

Comments

Did you photograph the event? Did you get a license plate? Did you call Family Services?

I agree - this is sad. But it might not have been the mother, it might have been an aunt, babysitter or other care-giver - and the mother might not know!

Next time, photograph, call police and then break the damn window. :)

Posted by: Greent | June 28, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

I second that - call the cops and get the kid out.see if she tells the police to mind their own !

Posted by: lsf07 | June 28, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

A key fact is missing: was the car running with the A/C on?

Posted by: WashingtonDame | June 28, 2010 7:52 PM | Report abuse

Actually WD - if that were the case I would really break the window. Leaving a child in a car with it's engine running? Talk about an invitation to have car and child stolen.

Posted by: Greent | June 29, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

"She told me to mind my own business and got mad at me for touching her car."

Wow, any guesses to which demographic this woman might be a part of? It's pretty obvious.

Posted by: MACCHAMPS04 | June 30, 2010 7:55 PM | Report abuse