Posted at 9:17 AM ET, 06/30/2010

What's wrong with quoting AAA?

By washingtonpost.com editors

I spent a lot of time thinking about what exactly bothered me so much about Ashley Halsey's Saturday article on New York Avenue speed cameras, AAA's response and Cornell Professor Isaac Kramnick.

After all, on the merits, I agree with AAA. Speed cameras are an important tool to ensure road safety by making drivers slow down when there are pedestrians and cyclists, or when drivers would injure themselves. When placed in an area that's more a freeway, it seems that revenue has trumped safety. Do that too much, and people start pushing for laws against speed cameras. Then they can't make the roads safer.

So what's so frustrating? In an e-mail, Ashley Hasley suggested I clarify why we object so much to AAA getting quoted in the Post. Aren't they exactly what they seem, a driving advocacy organization? Aren't all their positions totally consistent with that?

[Continue reading David Alpert's post on Greater Greater Washington.]

David Alpert is founder and editor of Greater Greater Washington. The Local Blog Network is a group of bloggers from around the D.C. region who have agreed to make regular contributions to All Opinions Are Local.

By washingtonpost.com editors  | June 30, 2010; 9:17 AM ET
Categories:  D.C., HotTopic, Local blog network, traffic, transportation
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A vote for retrocession
Next: Was it worth the wait?

Comments

I'm not a big fan of throwing more money at roads just cuz', but we do need to hear from all the key players. AAA articulates the voice of the driving public pretty well, whether or not you agree with it.
Go Ashley (nice piece, BTW).

Posted by: krickey7 | June 30, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Although I don't love speed cameras on the freeways either, that is really where some of your worst accidents happen because of the extreme speeds people are going.

In regards to speed cameras in residential areas and in the District, I am ALL for them. With the streets already cramped with cars, pedestrians, delivery trucks, etc...people need to obey the speed limits.

Posted by: wilson78 | June 30, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

I think they're pretty good in both pedestrian and freeway areas. In slower zones they definitely help people ease off a little and protect any unwary pedestrians, but I think on highways they also keep the speed down, turning what could be a deadly accident into just a pretty bad one.

Posted by: whysocereal | June 30, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

I absolutely think that having cameras in areas with high volume of pedestrians, bicyclists, etc. is very smart. It is amazing the lack of attention some drivers have developed.

Posted by: YoDave | July 2, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse