Posted at 2:48 PM ET, 07/16/2010

All my fears about Gray, summed up

By Dan Malouff

On Monday The Post ran a story about mayoral politics and Ward 4, in which residents of the city's northernmost division opined about their community's shift from a Mayor Adrian Fenty stronghold to political battleground.

The story featured an interview with Brightwood resident Betty Byrd who said "I'm all for Vince Gray. I've been here for what, 40 years? Never in my life have I seen things in D.C. all turned around."

Hold on a minute. Maybe I misunderstand, but is it supposed to be a bad thing that District government is turned around compared to the past 40 years? Are we supposed to be upset that the political machine that gave us Marion Barry is being torn down? If elected, is Vincent Gray going to return that dysfunctional power structure to glory?

Yikes.

If all that is true, if that's why people are voting for Gray, I really cannot think of a better reason to vote for Fenty.

Dan Malouff is an Arlington County transportation planner who blogs independently at BeyondDC.com. The Local Blog Network is a group of bloggers from around the D.C. region who have agreed to make regular contributions to All Opinions Are Local.

By Dan Malouff  | July 16, 2010; 2:48 PM ET
Categories:  D.C., D.C. politics, Fenty, HotTopic, Local blog network, Mayor Fenty
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: D.C. Council's due diligence on water safety
Next: VDOT, stalled in the middle of traffic

Comments

Racists

Posted by: jiji1 | July 16, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

What do you think about these recent results from one of DC's agencies: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdKT5yh3Qu0

Posted by: jobforce | July 16, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

The only people telling you that are Fenty and Fenty campaign workers to include Ron Moten and Peter Nickles. Question: Can Ron Moten, the mayor's loudest supporter, vote? Can Peter Nickles, who lives in Virginia, vote?

If you really believe that the government under Fenty with mounds of scandals, high unemployment, poor city services, failed and costly SYEP and now to add falling test scores will move us forward and not render the taxpayers harm, then I have a house that sits right on a fault line to sell you.

Posted by: candycane1 | July 17, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Stereotyping DC serves no one.

Posted by: 1citizen | July 18, 2010 1:09 AM | Report abuse