Posted at 10:29 AM ET, 08/31/2010

My endorsement: A mayor who can unite the city

By washingtonpost.com editors

By Cherita Whiting
Ward 4

I endorse D.C. Council Chairman Vincent C. Gray for D.C. mayor. There is no one else who can heal this city at this moment, when we all are in need of healing.

Gray is a man of the people. He will listen to us, take care of us and include all of us. My city is hurting, and we cannot take another four years of this mess.

Mayor Adrian Fenty has disrespected this city. People have been terminated without cause. People have lost their jobs and their homes, and then there are the contracts that have been given out to his friends — with my tax dollars.

Disrespect is not part of the job as mayor. Bringing the city together is. Fenty has failed.

The writer is chairman of the Ward 4 Education Council and a former chairman of Advisory Neighborhood Commission 4B.

To participate in "My endorsement," make the case for your candidate in the D.C. mayor's race in 200 words or fewer, and e-mail it to letters@washpost.com with “My Endorsement” in the subject line. Please include your ward number, a day and evening phone number (not for publication) and a note describing any connection you have to any of the candidates, their campaigns or D.C. politics in general.

By washingtonpost.com editors  | August 31, 2010; 10:29 AM ET
Categories:  D.C., D.C. politics, HotTopic, My Endorsement
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: It's 1-1 for Cuccinelli
Next: Va. schools: Band-aids on the Titanic

Comments

Thanks for your post, Ms. Whiting. It fairly -- and that's a keyword here -- sums up four years under Adrian Fenty. "Under" is another keyword. We, THE PEOPLE, have been under his peckish thumb, subjects to his errant ways and penalized mightily by his sidekicks. The Gray victory parade starts at Georgia and Missouri on Sept. 15.

Posted by: dc925dc | August 31, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Why do you need a mayor to "take care of you?"

Posted by: Daffodil123 | August 31, 2010 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Ms. Whiting, thousands of Ward 4 voters/residents and in other Wards share your views. King Fenty has divided the District by race and class and we cannot take another 4 years under the Fenty dictatorship. I would like to see King Fenty banished from his kingdom (Wilson Building). Once he's a private citizen, he will have the time to ride his bike and jog on his time, not the District Government's time. Hopefully, New York City Rev. Floyd "FLAKE" and Mayor Bloomberg will have job offers for King Fenty, Ron Moten, Ron Austin, Gabe Klein, Peter Nickles, Neil Albert, Michelle Rhee, Janice Quintana, and Valerie Santos. Good riddance to them all.

If I could go back into time with the knowledge I have about Adrian M. Fenty, I would have never supported his grassroots campaign against fomer Ward 4 D.C. Councilmember Charlene Drew-Jarvis.

Native Washingtonian
Ward 4 D.C. Voter

Posted by: Ward4DC | August 31, 2010 6:37 PM | Report abuse

I never said a mayor needs to take care of me...but he/she does need to take care of MY CITY! That's the trust we put into him.

Posted by: cherita_whiting@yahoo.com | September 1, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Gray is still working on a platform and is no leader in this city. After he talks to everyone and makes them feel good, what do you think he will actually do or accomplish. The answer is nothing. If you vote out the Type A action figure who has accomplished so many improved services in this city, you deserve the do nothing smiley man who only talks. You may not like Fenty's style but the whole city admits he has improvements and results to his credit. We need Fenty for four more years and I think he will be more open to listening to eveyone's complaints.

Posted by: voter20 | September 2, 2010 7:22 AM | Report abuse