Posted at 1:00 PM ET, 08/31/2010

My endorsement: Too much progress to turn back

By washingtonpost.com editors

By Wendy Sefsaf
Ward 3

As I drive around my community these days, I am struck by the development that has gone up in just the past few years. In Northwest, we have a new Safeway, the newly renovated Deal Middle School, Fillmore Arts Center/Hardy Middle School and Stoddert Elementary.

We also have the Tenley-Friendship and Georgetown libraries nearly complete, and I see construction beginning at Janney Elementary and Wilson High. I see schools with teachers who are being held to tougher standards, which means that our kids are, too. Our kids also have a new recreation center at Stoddert and a pool at Wilson to enjoy.

Have I read stories about our mayor that have made me wince? Sure I have. However, I’m not willing to walk away from all the progress that has been made. Our city needs to continue on this trajectory, and that is why I am voting for Adrian Fenty.

To participate in "My endorsement," make the case for your candidate in the D.C. mayor's race in 200 words or fewer, and e-mail it to letters@washpost.com with “My Endorsement” in the subject line. Please include your ward number, a day and evening phone number (not for publication) and a note describing any connection you have to any of the candidates, their campaigns or D.C. politics in general.

By washingtonpost.com editors  | August 31, 2010; 1:00 PM ET
Categories:  D.C., D.C. politics, HotTopic, Local blog network
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Northrop Grumman and the myth of privatization
Next: Fix the 'creativity gap' and achievement will follow

Comments

Thats ward 3..,What about everyone else????? Thats the problem....your community...Now if everyone lived in Georgetown then he would be a great mayor!!!!!

Posted by: ms88dcps | August 31, 2010 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ms88dcps | August 31, 2010 10:41 PM | Report abuse

Oh coarse Miss Wendy is an upper class white woman and opportunities has always been at her door base on her skin color and being of the white race. Selfish whites like Miss Wendy only cares about the mostly white upper class Ward 3 in D.C. Miss Wendy couldn't careless about people of color not born with a silver spoon in their mouth. King Fenty has divided this city by race and class and he treats whites differently. Do Fenty not understand the struggles of what it's like to be black in America? I guess not because he refuses to discuss race or racism.

Posted by: Ward4DC | August 31, 2010 11:27 PM | Report abuse

Well Ms. Wendy you need to drive OUT of ward 3 and come over to my ward which is the same as the mayor's ward 4 and listen to the gun shots, hear your neighbor talk about being robbed while at the bus stop, or talk to another parent whose child was jumped in the hallway while at school doing the right thing...see EVERYTHING doesn't make the news.

So while you are driving pass some of those building that were built illegally with our tax dollars you now have something to think about which is just a small part of what those of us who do not live in ward 3 which gets catered to (no fault of your own) and the rest of the city fends for theirself!

Posted by: cherita_whiting@yahoo.com | September 1, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse