Posted at 6:00 PM ET, 09/13/2010

Fenty vs. Gray: My urbanist choice

By Dan Malouff

Four years ago I was worried about Adrian Fenty. I feared that he lacked vision and would cave to parochial concerns. I feared he would be a NIMBY mayor.

I’m glad to say I was wrong. With the streetcar project making strong progress and bike lanes all over the city, I’ve become a Fenty fan. He hasn’t been perfect, but his overall record shows clearly that he supports urbanist goals. I am completely comfortable giving him another term to accomplish even more.

Then there’s his opponent, Vince Gray. Greater Greater Washington has put up a spirited defense of Gray, which I’d like very much to believe is accurate. And maybe it is. Maybe Vince Gray has learned his lesson on streetcars, and maybe some of his statements about bike and bus lanes were out of context.

I just don’t know. I hope so, but I don’t know.

[Continue reading this post at beyonddc.com.]

Dan Malouff is an Arlington County transportation planner who blogs independently at BeyondDC.com. The Local Blog Network is a group of bloggers from around the D.C. region who have agreed to make regular contributions to All Opinions Are Local.

By Dan Malouff  | September 13, 2010; 6:00 PM ET
Categories:  D.C., D.C. politics, Fenty, HotTopic, Local blog network, Mayor Fenty, traffic, transportation
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Fenty defends his 'tough decisions'
Next: Virginia's elderly prisoners: Set them free

Comments

But what does urbanism have to do with sprituality?

Posted by: starclimber9 | September 13, 2010 6:39 PM | Report abuse

Too bad it's going to be a wasted vote. There are more important things going on in this city besides bike lanes (which are not being used) and street cars.

I am assuming, but I bet you a not a native Washingtonian. I was born and raised here. I remember the street cars. These street cars are going to be nothing like the ones that were here when I was a child. They are not going anywhere.

Posted by: samvped205 | September 13, 2010 7:14 PM | Report abuse

I agree that the streetcar lines seem to be a bit of a vanity project. People lose their jobs when they appear to lose sight of the bigger concerns of people in favor of fringe issues. Fenty forgot that.

Posted by: krickey7 | September 14, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

If by "urbanist" you mean bike lanes and upscale places to eat and drink then I guess you would want to vote for Fenty. As someone else mentioned there are much bigger issues in play than "urbanist" issues.

Posted by: Aerowaz | September 14, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Aerowaz | September 14, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

d.c. urbanist = white snobbish, often racist elitists democrat male (gay or straight).

Posted by: concernedaboutdc | September 14, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Thank you samvped205!!

Same here born and raised and have never been to jail but yes I have been robbed and had my car stolen...Street cars with this crime that is going on..getting knocked across the head on the street cars..Most of this people are not from DC and most have $$$$ and will not do anything to feed the poor yet alone by them a bike...get over it and get ready to pack your bags Fenty is gone and no one else will be getting $10 MIL of my tax dollars!!!

Posted by: shadon1 | September 14, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse