Posted at 7:13 PM ET, 10/18/2010

A G Street parking-ticket mystery

By washingtonpost.com editors

By William Steiner
Potomac

A running theme in recent letters about parking tickets in the District was that the Department of Motor Vehicles is enforcing laws aggressively.

In my case, I think the department went beyond aggressive. I received a notice of an unsatisfied parking ticket for failing to answer within 30 days of date of issuance. The notice showed a doubled fine of $50. The ticket was issued on July 2 at 7:52 a.m. for parking at an expired meter in the 400 block of G Street NW.

The only problem was that my car never was in the District on that date — it was parked in my driveway. It is not possible that it could have been ticketed, so there is no way I could have answered the ticket.

As an aside, my car has been in Washington only one day during past three or four years. That day was July 1, the day before the ticket was written.

By washingtonpost.com editors  | October 18, 2010; 7:13 PM ET
Categories:  D.C., DMV, HotTopic, traffic
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Three who personify civility
Next: Connolly and Fimian: The art of ads hominem

Comments

Ok. Were you at the 400 block of G st. nw on July 1 at 7:52 AM? If so, maybe they put the wrong date on the ticket? Seems a little too coincidental that the one time you received a ticket in three years, just happened to be on the day after you parked there...

Posted by: jjtwo | October 19, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

You will, of course, have to contest in person. Even then you may not win. The last time I was in court in DC fighting a ticket, a gentleman there told an almost-identical story and was denied.

Posted by: krickey7 | October 19, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

I agree with the first poster--the ticket was for July 1 and had the wrong date on it. Seriously, how hard is that to figure out.

Posted by: Wallenstein | October 19, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

if you can prove that the date on the ticket is wrong (and I don't know how you can prove that you weren't in D.C. on July 2nd), then you could argue that the ticket is factually wrong and should be voided. Not saying that you would be successful, but worth a try.

According to DC DMV these are the only defenses for denying a violation:

* You were not the owner or lessee of the vehicle on the date that the ticket was issued.
* The vehicle or vehicle tags were stolen on or before the date the ticket was issued.
* The relevant meter was broken through no fault of your own
* The relevant sign was missing or obscured
* The stipulated facts on the ticket are inconsistent or do not support the violation.
* The vehicle experienced sudden mechanical failure
* The driver or passenger of the vehicle required immediate medical attention (proof of medical attention required)

The "stipulated facts" defense seems appropriate in this situation.

Good Luck!