Posted at 10:44 PM ET, 10/31/2010

Let's restore Montgomery's promise

By washingtonpost.com editors

By Doug Rosenfeld
Potomac

Contrary to what you may have read in The Post, there is an alternative to the status quo in the race for Montgomery County executive. I am running, and this is why.

I chose to raise my family in the county because I believed it was a place of great promise: a county of safe neighborhoods shielded from overdevelopment, supported by top-tier schools and a strong employment base. I sense that promise slipping away.

Many communities have formed neighborhood watch groups or hired private security services, yet they still do not feel as safe as they once did.

Residents in areas near the planned "Science City" in North Potomac or White Flint face high-density development that will dwarf their neighborhoods and bring traffic to a standstill.

Our schools' instructional budget has been funded below the minimum level required by state law for two straight years. And Fairfax has handily bested us in attracting new jobs.

We must commit ourselves to public safety. If voters reject ambulance fees, any budget adjustments I propose will not affect our first responders.

Progress can occur without overwhelming existing communities. What happened to moderation?

When it comes to schools, our children come first. We can no longer afford to spend one of every three education dollars on administrative overhead.

Finally, we must grow our corporate tax base. The first step is to bring professional leadership to our county's Office of Economic Development. Fairfax knows how to lure top-flight industry. We must follow its lead.

Together we can restore Montgomery's promise. I ask for your vote Tuesday.

The writer is the Republican candidate for county executive in Montgomery County.

By washingtonpost.com editors  | October 31, 2010; 10:44 PM ET
Categories:  HotTopic, Maryland, Montgomery County
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Solar D.C.'s newest power couple
Next: Underwhelmed by the rally

Comments

"We must preserve open space and make sure necessary infrastructure is in place before we build."

I assume that by making "sure necessary infrastructure is in place", Mr. Rosenfeld means building roads. How, exactly, does building more roads preserve open space?

Posted by: alewis4 | November 1, 2010 2:09 AM | Report abuse

I believe what Doug Rosenfeld is referring to by "infrastructure" are such items as schools, bus routes, community centers, etc. The list goes on. Roads are just one peice of the puzzle. I think that perhaps he is more concerned about the fact that many of our public schools have trailers parked outside them which our children are being taught in.

Posted by: OlneyMan | November 1, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

I'm even shocked that the Washington Post would even allow ANY #GOP to have their name printed in their newspaper articles at all.

This publication is clearly not an "equal opportunity" journal. LOL! One of the "other" reasons why I stopped purchasing it. So..how's business, guys?

Posted by: CountytaxpayingCHNII | November 2, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Countytaxpaying; That's enough of the Post bashing. The Post is so very much more accessable to all political thought than any other paper in the area. Just look at the Op/Ed page. The W. Times wouldn't dream of allowing non-conservative information or writers.

Posted by: jckdoors | November 4, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse