Posted at 5:44 PM ET, 11/25/2010

No manners on Metro

By Jack Purdy, Baltimore

After 10 years of riding Metro to Union Station to catch the MARC train, I thought I had seen every form of self-centered, rude behavior. But on Monday I found out I was wrong.

About 4:10 p.m., I was jammed on the short escalator that carries people up to the hallway to the MARC and Amtrak trains. A man flipped up the cover on the emergency stop button on the down escalator, pressed it and brought the escalator, which was carrying people, to a sudden halt. He then bounded up the stopped escalator. I yelled after him, "Did you just press the emergency stop button?" He replied: "You bet."

I wish I had yelled, "Stop, thief, that man in the raincoat just stole my wallet," if only to make sure he missed his train. It would have been worth missing mine just to hear his explanation to a transit cop.

By Jack Purdy, Baltimore  | November 25, 2010; 5:44 PM ET
Categories:  D.C., Metro, transportation
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: How to keep guns out of criminals' hands
Next: Hunting won't solve the deer problem

Comments

Mr. Purdy - I am also a Baltimore commuter, although I was at Union Station a little later that Monday, so missed this incident you describe. But I wonder - why did no one on the stopped "down" elevator strong-arm this guy while he raced up? Was everybody so stunned? I only hope somebody recognizes him if he tries to go through Union Station metro again. Where are the security cameras!

Posted by: sevenstones1000 | November 26, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

This guy might have committed a crime. You can't pull a fire alarm for no legitimate reason. How is this guy's action any different.

Posted by: Frazil | November 26, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Really, about the only thing anyone can do in that situation is send them on their way with a nice hearty "A**H--E!" yelled after them.

Posted by: drewdane | November 26, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Frazil got it right. Those "emergency stop" buttons are for just that -- emergencies -- not the convenience of self-centered morons. What he did could be considered reckless endangerment, and he should have been arrested and charged with one count of reckless endangerment for every individual who was on that escalator. Maybe he wouldn't get convicted, but at least he would have missed his train (and a few others) while he was "downtown" getting booked, and he could then try to convince a judge that his actions did not actually constitute reckless endangerment, but were merely selfish and stupid.

Posted by: alert4jsw | November 27, 2010 1:44 AM | Report abuse

he should have been impaled 'accidentally' on a sharp object like an umbrella

Posted by: OldSalt8 | November 27, 2010 8:01 PM | Report abuse