Posted at 7:18 PM ET, 12/ 7/2010

At GWU, coed dorms will fail the morality test

By Abbey Meltzer, Rockville

In the Dec. 4 front-page article “At GWU, coed quarters becoming option for all,” Jenna Johnson and Daniel de Vise reported that next fall, George Washington University will allow students from the opposite sex to room with one another in university housing facilities.

Having lived in all-female dorms that men could not enter, much less live in, I find this policy ridiculous. Where are the morals?

By implementing gender-neutral housing, GWU is endorsing cohabitation among couples — something studies have shown may increase the likelihood that a subsequent marriage will result in divorce.

While cohabitation is common these days, schools should not promote such behavior, especially to incoming freshmen.

Students are given the opportunity to make plenty of choices while attending a university. Choosing to live with someone from the opposite gender should not be one of them.

By Abbey Meltzer, Rockville  | December 7, 2010; 7:18 PM ET
Categories:  D.C., HotTopic
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Good planning, bad architecture
Next: Toll mania in Hampton Roads?

Comments

Ah, the old "you do what I say" mentality! Everyone must live by your rules, your morals, your standards! Perhaps incoming GWU students should be treated as the adults they are, and be allowed to determine their own living arrangements! Butt out!

Posted by: Ken430TX | December 7, 2010 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Earth to Abby Meltzer: as a long time former administrator at GW, it was common 20 or more years ago for two same sex couples to sign up for adjoining rooms and then one guy and one gal would switch beds. Since no modern University performs bedchecks, GW's new policy just recognizes patterns that have been in existence for decades. MYOB.

Posted by: commonsense101 | December 8, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Are they forcing opposite sex couples to share a dorm room by assigning them like that? No? Then they are not promoting diddly-squat. You sound like you are upset that they have co-ed dorms anyway. Personally I was in co-ed dorms back in the 70's. If the kids are going to get together then they will do so no matter what type of dorm they live in. If it personally upsets you that much ensure your children go to the few remaining single sex universities in the country so they can live in same-sex only dorms. Your money therefore your choice. Don`t impose your morality on my kids. BTW.... my son shares an apartment with a guy and a gal. None of them are "shacking up" with each other.

Posted by: KarenLS | December 8, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

The holier-than-thou crowd is heard from.

Posted by: jckdoors | December 8, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Liberal people always say don't pose your morality on me.
I'm a conservative and I say to the immoral liberal people don't pose your immorality on me. It is offensive.
Immoral people use people, have abortions, lie and cheat.
Who would the majority of people rather be around? Immoral people or people with morals?

Posted by: stopmakingexcuses | December 8, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Liberal people always say don't pose your morality on me.
Immoral people use people, have abortions, lie and cheat.

Posted by: stopmakingexcuses | December 8, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

I lived in Thurston Hall the year it became co-ed on the first 6 floors, having been all women before. When I checked into my room on the 8th floor as I was a freshman and got assigned to the all girls floor unfortunately, the wall next to my bed said, "Dave--you made the meanest bed in Thurston Hall." Obviously, guys were living there before....I moved to Mitchell Hall and there were many couples co-habitating in singles, many of whom are still married. We lived like a family and still have relationships with each other. It was a healthy form of reality. What was more astonishing in those days was that I, and some of my other classmates, had pets in the dorm...My cat, Eugene, lived on the 2nd and 4th floors of Mitchell Hall for 2.5 years! We need to worry about more important things in this country than keeping boys and girls apart. Those who want to live separately, have the opportunity to do so. Let's worry more about our failing educational status relative to our Asian and European counterparts!

Posted by: SuellenLudwigCrano | December 8, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

To stopmakingexcuses: "Immoral people use people, have abortions, lie and cheat."

True.

But do you honestly think that people of your ilk don't do the same things? Seriously?

What a crock.

Posted by: MVman | December 8, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Funniest Letter to the Editor ever. Do people like this really exist? It's 2010, not 1950...go crawl back into your cave please.

Posted by: anarcho-liberal-tarian | December 8, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Dear, but don't you realize by sanctioning same-sex dorm rooms you are condoning far worse perversions than mere heterosexual normativity among the unchurched?

And you do know, of course, how many of our young people are gay compared to our country's founders? Surely you don't intend facilitating THEIR cohabitation. (Gay students among themselves, I mean; not gay students and dead white guys.)

You've kinda put yourself betwixt an ethical Scylla and Charybdis, haven't you? Oh well.

Posted by: laboo | December 9, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Get over it; these are adults who can make their own decisions.

Posted by: IamC0lin | December 9, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse