Posted at 6:32 PM ET, 02/16/2011

Dead ends for Arlington traffic woes

By Carolyn Clark Miller, Alexandria

Arlington may think it has dodged a bullet. But it is in for a surprise in the fall when the Defense Department project at Mark Center opens and traffic on Interstate-395 halts. Traffic is like water: It will find a way. Drivers will exit at the bottleneck, and Arlington will find gridlock traffic on its major roads. Watch the traffic on Lee Highway, Leesburg and Columbia pikes, Wilson and Washington boulevards, Carlin Springs and Glebe roads, and George Mason Drive, and in the nearby neighborhoods. Those living and working near those roads will feel the brunt of Arlington's decisions.

By Carolyn Clark Miller, Alexandria  | February 16, 2011; 6:32 PM ET
Categories:  Arlington, Va. Politics, Virginia, traffic, transportation
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Bridging Virginia and D.C.
Next: What's O'Malley thinking on Metro's board?

Comments

Ms Miller's commentary is laughable. The northbound traffic on 395 will be tied up south of Arlington, and probably below the mixing bowl. Lee Highway? How about Richie Highway? That's north of town,too. I live off of Lee Highway; we have cross town traffic due to I66, but with the new building 6 miles away I doubt it will be much of an impact, which is true for Wilson and Washington Blvds, and George Mason and Carling Springs are busy during rush hour anyway. Rt 7? Always a plug and not going to change

Overhyped nonsense

Posted by: RogerRamjet2 | February 17, 2011 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Those who choose to live in Southern Alexandria, say the Fort Hunt area, have seeen their commute times increase exponentially in the last four decades. When the Herrity's of land planning refuse to build infrastructure because it causes their developer buddies cash, the result is obviously undeveloped infrastructure, as there is no revenue fairy.

Arlington saw this coming in the late 1960's and after putting down the Three Sisters bridge idea pushed hard for Metro, removal of AB&W (affectionately "Awkward, Backward and Worthless")as the bus line, and vertical housing density rather than horizontal density. It cost money, and it worked. Like little ants, we are proud of what we have accomplished the Arlington Way, ie, shared burdens and shared benefits.

The lazy grasshoppers that refused to tax the developers/users have but to look in the mirror to view the error of their ways. I forgive their hostility and envy, but do not believe it is their right to destroy Arlington for their folly.

Posted by: RogerRamjet2 | February 17, 2011 9:33 AM | Report abuse

@RogerRamjet2,

Can you stop stroking yourself long enough to answer a simple question?

What is your problem with improving an EXISTING road?

I-395 and I-66 have been around for decades. The projects in question don't include expanding either of those highways and certainly do not include building new ones. The plan is to improve traffic flow by SLIGHTLY increasing capacity on already-existing roads. What is your problem with that?

There is NO plan to "pave over" Arlington or change its way of live. So, exactly what is your problem with the projects in question?

You talk about "shared burdens". Looks to me that your pious charity towards your neighbors ends with alleviating traffic congestion.

In case you forgot, those "lazy grasshoppers" you look down on pay a lot of taxes to help support the Metro system that makes "the Arlington way" possible.

We're supposed to be ADULTS here. So spare us the schoolboy trash talk and please provide an intelligent, relevant answer WITHOUT the self-congratulatory nonsense and without the insults.

I'll wait. But I won't hold my breath.

Posted by: ceefer66 | February 17, 2011 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Ooooo ceefer you are right. Whenever I see ALLCAPS I know they are right. Struck a nerve, didn't I?

Your personal attack belies your sensitivity. What part of my comments bothered you other than that I disagree with you? I merely pointed out in my first post that the geographical layout of Arlington prevents us from "fearing" traffic that will never get here due to the Sourthern bottlenecks. Fact.

My other comments are an accurate statement of how this region has developed and why. Arlington already gave up numerous parks and homes to build I66, and 395 will take dozens more homes for any conceived expansion. These are facts.

I am dismissive of the Johhny-come-latelies that have moved here, purchased inexpensive homes in the nether burbs only to find out how bad the traffic usually is. The argument should be why Metro doesn't run to Dumfries, not how much more Arlington can or should be obligated to accept. Your Metro money? Uhhh, if you live in Fairfax, you have Vienna now and Tysons in the near future. Fact.

What is your real beef? Facts. Please try again.

Posted by: RogerRamjet2 | February 17, 2011 10:46 AM | Report abuse

I assume that ceefer66 has implied his consent to my comments. I accept his tacit acknowledgement and wish him well.

Posted by: RogerRamjet2 | February 17, 2011 12:04 PM | Report abuse

ceefer66,

The project in question involved adding a new lane to I-395.

Posted by: Dadrick | February 17, 2011 3:48 PM | Report abuse

ceefer66,

The project in question involved adding a new lane to I-395.
---------------------

Within its EXISTING footprint.

Posted by: ceefer66 | February 17, 2011 9:07 PM | Report abuse

ceefer66,

The project in question involved adding a new lane to I-395.
---------------------

Within its EXISTING footprint.

Posted by: ceefer66 | February 17, 2011 9:08 PM | Report abuse

ceefer66,

The project in question involved adding a new lane to I-395.
---------------------

Within its EXISTING footprint.

Posted by: ceefer66 | February 17, 2011 9:09 PM | Report abuse

@RogerRamjet2,

For a quick moment, I thought we could have an adult exchange without the childish insults.

Silly me.

Posted by: ceefer66 | February 17, 2011 9:11 PM | Report abuse

RogerRamjet2,

Clarification:

Sorry I wasn't able to provide an immediate answer to your comments.

As a matter of fact, I'm not able to spend all day blogging. You see, some of us have jobs and other responsibilities. When you grow up, you'll understand.

BTW, where do you go to school and what grade are you in?

Posted by: ceefer66 | February 17, 2011 9:18 PM | Report abuse