Popsicle Party

This week, I have been experimenting with a new kitchen toy that I am confident will keep on giving throughout the summer. While in New York last weekend, I picked up some popsicle molds (made by Cuisipro, $15), taking me back to the 1970s and my days of slurping on red-white-and-white ice domes at the local pool.

Wouldn't it be fun, I thought, to do more of a Froz-Fruit thing and actually make this things somewhat nutritious?

popsicles
Homemade mango-lime and cherry-blueberry popsicles. (Kim O'Donnel)

The process is as simple as pureeing your favorite fruit and zipping it up with honey, lime, ginger, whatever you fancy. I made two versions -- mango/lime/cayenne and cherry-blueberry -- because that's what I had on hand. Details to come, plus picture, Girl Scout's honor.

However, this afternoon at 2:20, I'll be sharing my inaugural popsicles with my on-air pal Sam Litzinger (1500 AM, 107.7 FM, www.washingtonpostradio.com). Join the banter and listen to us slurp!

By Kim ODonnel |  June 30, 2006; 1:19 PM ET Frozen Treats
Previous: The United States of 'Cue | Next: Fourth of July Checklist

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Two things: Check out Laura Rebecca'skitchen on popsicles. And there -- or at my site, Cooking with Ideas -- check out an alternative 4th of July idea.

Posted by: Bibliochef | June 30, 2006 10:43 PM

BiblioChef: Please post links to these sites! Would love to see what you're up to. Cheers.

Posted by: Kim O'Donnel | July 1, 2006 12:06 PM

Also, don't forget plenty of fresh sliced, chilled, slices of fruit - watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew, pineapple, you get the idea. They'll help keep you cool, and their juices will help keep you hydrated.

PS... spritz watermelon slices with a little lemon juice for a zinger!

Posted by: Jennifer K | July 3, 2006 2:03 PM

I would like to know where you get the popsicle molds and I would like to have the recipe. I think my little grandson would enjoy it. I just read this tonight so I did not know anything about the radio show this afternoon.

Margaret Barnhill

Posted by: Margaret Barnhill | July 17, 2006 11:57 PM

Margaret, I will post popsicle details today. I guess I'm losing my memory. These molds are made by Cuisipro and I've seen them online at www.cooking.com.

Posted by: Kim O'Donnel | July 18, 2006 8:24 AM