Holiday A-Z, Part 2

Yesterday, I sang to you my ABCs, holiday style. We got through the first half of the alphabet; today, I tackle the rest and some of the peskier letters. (Go on; you try and come up with a food association that begins with an "X."). Now, let's recite...

N Nuts that are sugar and spice and everything nice, navels of the orange variety, nutmeg from Grenada

O Oysters overnighted from Washington's Olympic peninsula, olive oil

P Penzey's spice gift boxes, pomegranate, pate

Q Quince, and now I'm stuck. (All of a sudden, this feels like a Scrabble game.)

R Rosemary plant, rugelach, recipe organizing binders

S Salt of a coarse variety, Silpat baking mat, Sufganiyot

T Tangerines, tea service and sandwiches in the afternoon, tawny port

U Upside down cake, Ugli fruit

V Vegetarian cooking class with Fairfax, Va.- based instructor Mimi Clark, a bottle of really good vanilla extract

W A real wok that you learn to season, waffle iron, wassail

X Xanthan gum -- very unsexy, but a magic ingredient for gluten-free bakers

Y Yule log, aka buche de Noel, yoga in between meals and party invitations, yearly review of new foods to love and those to throw out with the recycling

Z Zester, (red) Zinfandel

And now it's your turn; please add your personal word in the comments area below!

FYI: I'll be catching up on sleep and my tan for a few days, so I can be refreshed and back in action for you Monday, Dec. 18. Type to you then.

By Kim ODonnel |  December 13, 2006; 9:47 AM ET Holiday Treats
Previous: Holiday Food Alphabet | Next: Do the Yule Log Roll

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Q-for Quail, quarts of homemade sauce

Posted by: LisaLuvsCooking | December 13, 2006 10:36 AM

Also, don't forget-Quick Breads filled with nuts or berries or chocolate

Posted by: LisaLuvsCooking | December 13, 2006 10:37 AM

Q -- quaff large amounts of egg nog or wassail;
quahogs -- clam chowder;
queasy -- holiday tummy viruses always show up about this time of year;
quiche -- standard fare for holiday weekend brunch;
quick breads -- cranberry-orange bread or date nut breads for holiday brunch.

Can't think of a thing with X except the abbreviation Xmas for the holiday. The X stands for the Greek word 'chi' which is the first part of the Greek form of Christ or Christos. The symbol X has been used as an abbreviation for Christ since early Christian times.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 13, 2006 11:26 AM

Oh - I am glad you know about Penzey's - I am from MN and I go there all of the time when I am home and I tell people here about their great stuff - no one knows about them!

I emailed them asking when they are opening a store here and they sent a note back saying that they are getting ready to open one in Alexandria, I believe!!! I can't wait!

Posted by: penzey crazy | December 13, 2006 11:39 AM

This was great, Kim - must've been a ton of work! Thanks for everything you do...

Posted by: Reine de Saba | December 13, 2006 1:49 PM

Gosh Kim,
This isn't a comment on the blog per se, it's to say how hard it is to find your blog!!! Unless it's featured on the main page the only way to get to it is to find one of your columns and then get the link from there. You're not on the Post blogs page:

Why not? You tell them I said to put you there! : )

Thanks

Posted by: anonymous | December 13, 2006 6:38 PM

Hey Anon, thanks for your note. I will send your note to people who need to know, but I can vouch that your can find a link to my blog on the pull-down menu on homepage (left-hand side where it says "Today's Editorials, Opinions, Columns") when there is no no new update to promote. Cheers.

Posted by: Kim O'Donnel | December 14, 2006 10:34 AM

Rosemary: I saw some clipped to the shape of a Christmas tree! Cute.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 14, 2006 2:05 PM

I got a rosemary christmas tree and am quite excited. I figure once I am done looking I can eat it and maybe plant it. Need to ask my friend if that will work or if I have a big indoor plant.

Posted by: secretfun | December 18, 2006 10:21 PM

Yes, Penzeys will soon have a store in Alexandria as well as Rockville. W00t! Oh, soooo very dangerous. Muahahahahaha!!

...writing this while (purely coincidentally) sipping a mug of their "hint o'mint" hot chocolate... right after discarding my old garlic powder, chili powder, ginger, and basil after smelling the heavenly new stuff that just arrived. Funny, the old stuff still smells and tastes just fine, but wow, the new stuff is still an order of magnitude brighter and more present. Love it!

Posted by: penzeys rockville too | December 20, 2006 8:02 PM