Sunday Night Food Fight

This Sunday is April Fool's Day, and I can think of no better reason to start a food fight -- or at the very least, watch one.

After a day of foolin', pranksters can head over to Jaleo Crystal City Sunday night for the really big show on the really big screen.

If you haven't already heard, the commotion in question is Iron Chef America, the Food Network series which brings celebrity chefs into the Kitchen Stadium to duke it out.

In Sunday night's episode, Iron Chef Bobby Flay goes to battle with D.C.'s own Jose Andres, Jaleo maestro chef and a culinary rock star in his own right.

Fight night kicks off at 8 p.m, with complimentary samples of paella and Spanish jamon. Admission is free, but reservations are required (703/ 413 8181). As this piece was being written, all tables had been claimed, but SRO space remains. By nine o'clock, when the battle begins, I'm thinking most spectators will be standing and shouting in excitement, so come on over anyway.

The kitchen hopes you'll drink and eat from the tapas menu, as a percentage of sales will go to DC Central Kitchen, a local nonprofit that provides meals and culinary job training.

So what do you think? Does our man Jose have the goods to take the prize? See you at the bar to take bets on whose knife is sharper...

Join me today at 1 ET for What's Cooking Vegetarian, my monthly confab on all things meatless.

By Kim ODonnel |  March 29, 2007; 10:52 AM ET Food Media
Previous: Glam Lamb | Next: Weekend Macarooning

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Jose better kick Mr. cover-it-with-spices Bobby Flay, who is, in my opinion, the lowest of all TV chefs, ever. Not only is Jose the hometown favorite, I always, ALWAYS root against Flay because he's a giant..well...it would be impolite to type. (Remember when Flay "beat" Sakai in season 1? Surely fixed fight. Sakai had _never_ lost a fish battle.)

Posted by: Rita | March 29, 2007 1:00 PM

Re: the lemon orzo salad in the vegetarian chat--

I made a great orzo salad from The Summer House Cookbook by Debra Ponzek. It had toasted pistachios, sliced dried apricots, and a to-die-for dressing made with ginger oil and lemon. I prepared all of the components the day before (including boiling the orzo), and tossed them together the next morning for a late lunch. That was the perfect amount of time for the flavors to combine without any textures suffering. I also removed the combined salad from the fridge about 45 minutes before serving to take the chill off.

Posted by: Marian | March 29, 2007 2:29 PM

the secret ingredient on Sunday (per my newsletter from the CIA) is 'goat'. clearly plays to Chef Andres strengths.

Posted by: eidebc | March 29, 2007 5:49 PM

Kim, WaPo changed their homepage format. Where are the chat links??

Posted by: Chatty | March 30, 2007 8:19 AM

I really love "Iron Chef America." However I liked it much better when the "chairman" picked the Iron Chefs. As it stands now, we see a lot of Bobby and Mario, and precious little of the wonderful Morimoto and Cora. I like all four Iron Chefs, but two are being seriously underutilized.

Posted by: Judi Hershel | March 30, 2007 9:54 AM