The Veggie Blogosphere

It's that time of the month, which means you, me and other assorted veg-heads gather together 'round the online countertop today at 1 ET and talk about meat-free cooking, eating and shopping.

The idea to offer a vegetarian-only chat spawned six years ago as an experiment, but it immediately became clear that there was a hunger for this kind of information and conversation. But what about the other days of the month? How do vegetarians and vegans learn to be better cooks in our online universe?

Six years ago, the pickings were slim. Now, the Web is more veg-friendly than ever, particularly with the explosion of food blogs in the past few years.

To wit, if you go to blog search engine technorati.com and search for "vegetarian cooking" in its blog directory, you get a search return of 223 blog destinations. So, with such an overgrown garden, how does one pluck the weeds and get to the good stuff?

Your guess is as good as mine. The blogosphere is constantly expanding and evolving, which means search engines are still rudimentary and disorganized, and those time-consuming librarian duties fall on your shoulders.

Below, a handful of veggie-centric Web destinations worth a tour. And by all means, chime in, disagree or share your favorite places to get schooled on vegetarian and vegan cooking.
Albion Cooks, is a meatless chronicle penned by a Brit living in the Bay area. The posts are heavy on the food, light on the personal life notes, which allows for cutting right to the recipe chase.

Vegan Improv is the journal of a vegan in Ottawa, Canada. There are no recipes, just lists of ingredients and photos of his fusion kitchen creations, which include "blackened tofu salad on chocolate chipotle cornbread; kalamata and jalapeno tapenade; artichoke, pepita and carrot salad."

The Great Big Vegetable Challenge is one London mother's attempt to get her "vegetable-phobic" seven-year-old son, Freddie, to change his attitude. She's chronicling their efforts through an A to Z tour of the veggie world, and as of Monday, they've tackled "C is for Chard and Basil Fritters." Complete with Freddie's ratings.

Curiosity Killed the Cook is a smorgasbord of meat-free adventures, the most compelling of which is "Around the World in 243 Recipes," this St. Louis, Mo.-based blogger's virtual tour of the globe. The most recent entry, dated April 19, includes a recipe for "Comoronian Rice Pudding With Pineapple," from the east African islands of Comoros. Pretty cool.

Vanessicipes is a cleverly named journal written by "Vanessa," who lives in Brooklyn and works at MOMA. She also appears to be a prolific cook with an eye for the unusual; some of the most recent posts include recipes such as "Seitan Marbella" and "Spring Sheperd's Pie With Tempeh." Vanessa gets points for contextually linking to recipes from other blogs that she thinks are relevant or complementary.

Slashfood, a member of the huge Weblogs, Inc. family that is now owned by AOL, scours the Web and news feeds for the latest headlines on anything related to food. It offers a robust offering of posts on vegetables and vegetarian cooking that runs the gamut, from recipes to Rachael Ray homages. If you like omnibus content on a given topic, this could be an interesting stop.

Although not a blog, the Vegetarian and Vegan section of the BBC site is a respectable Web destination, nonetheless, with lots of useful background and tips, particularly for those just dipping their toes into meat-free waters. This might be the first news site to devote an entire content area to vegetarian and vegan cooking. A big high-five to those Brits.

By Kim ODonnel |  April 26, 2007; 10:40 AM ET Food on the Web , Vegetarian/Vegan
Previous: The Crunch of Spring | Next: Let's Go to the Fish Fry

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

What a great list. I don't know some of them and am eager to read more. Here's a list of my favorite go to's:

www.fatfreevegan.com - Susan's incredible blog and online recipe colection. Her photography is amazing! She has recipe search features both for the recipes featured on her blog and the ones others submit.

veganlunchbox.blogspot.com - Jennifer's lunch boxes for her vegan son. She only posts once a week now, but her first two years are well documented and there is an associated blog with only the recipes called shmooedfood.blogspot.com

Notes from the Vegan Feast Kitchen http://veganfeastkitchen.blogspot.com/ - Vegan cookbook author Bryanna Clark Grogan's blog. A lot of recipes are Weight Watchers Core plan friendly.

Elizabeth's Vegetarian Kitchen http://elizabethsvegetariankitchen.blogspot.com/ - An orthodox family with interesting anecdotes on religious life as well as great recipes.

You've already highlighted www.101cookbooks.com but it's worth mentioning again. Beautiful photogrpahy and great nutritious recipes.

There are so many more... I'm looking forward to seeeing others go to lists of blogs.

Posted by: Jen in Falls Church | April 26, 2007 12:16 PM

If you like Indian (some may be not vegan or vegetarian), check out this list:

For daily dinner inspiration, I usually go here:

Posted by: Vegan & Lovin' It | April 26, 2007 12:50 PM

Kim,

That's for the link to the Great Big Vegetable Challenge, I love it!

I like the Fat Free Vegan and Vegan Lunch Box, too. To that I'll add http://veganyumyum.com It has very pretty pictures and some great tutorials on things like how to cut up a mango.

Posted by: Molly | April 26, 2007 1:40 PM

A mostly vegetarian blog I love is http://cucinanicolina.blogspot.com. Veggie/vegan recipes and stories but missing a recipe search feature, unfortunately. Also 101.cookbooks is so great, and the photos so wonderful!

Posted by: Veggie Luv | April 26, 2007 1:49 PM

The best recipe site is www.vegweb.com

As for people who live in the area, go to www.vegdc.com

Posted by: NoVA | April 26, 2007 4:23 PM

I just went vegan after being veg for 16 years. My favorite sites are:

http://www.theppk.com/ Good tips and great substitiution hints. Also, non-traditonal recipes, as this is for the Post-Punk Kitchen. I have both of her cookbooks and they are fantastic.

http://www.veganyumyum.com/ The pictures are INCREDIBLE and so far all the recipes I've made are simple and tasty.

Posted by: Jenifer | April 26, 2007 4:36 PM

Recipes and packaging ideas for vegan lunches

Posted by: R.H. | April 26, 2007 8:56 PM

My favorite is Vanessicipes! Vanessa is so witty - I just love to read the recipes! The pics are great!

Posted by: Jamie | April 26, 2007 10:20 PM

Vanesscipes is a delight to read. The pictures are beautiful and the recipes are GREAT!

Posted by: Pat | April 26, 2007 11:01 PM

You can find a wide selection of blog (and podcast) links that I have personally vetted at http://ananimalfriendlylife.com. Pretty much all of 'em post on a regular basis, as do I. Check it out!

Thanks for the cool article on the veg blogosphere...

Posted by: Eric Prescott | April 27, 2007 2:52 AM

Cool entry. Good idea.

I have a rather thorough, personally-vetted Links menu at my website, http://ananimalfriendlylife.com, so you may want to check that out. It includes frequently updated veg and veg cooking blogs, as well as podcasts.

Posted by: Eric Prescott | April 27, 2007 3:18 AM

There's more to vegan cooking than just hummus and tofu.

Check out my blog, too. I'm currently hosting a recipe contest called Vegans Gone Wild:

At the very least, it's a valid excuse to make a yummy dessert for yourself.

Posted by: Urban Vegan | April 27, 2007 3:15 PM

Just catching up on today's chat. In it, someone says, "The vegetable broths I've purchased all taste fine in soup, but I don't know about using them in risotto -- they tasted too green and earthy." May I recommend Better Than Boullion (sp?)'s mushroom base? I found it at Safeway a couple years ago and fell in love. It has a deep strong taste that stands up well to just about everything I've thrown at it (think beef broth for vegetarians).

The last time I needed more, I ended up ordering it over the web, as none of my local stores carry it anymore , but I've fallen in love with it all over again. In the past couple weeks, have used it in a mushroom stroganoff, a sauteed mushrooom dish, vegetarian chili and a potato salad, all of which have been really really good.

Posted by: JC | April 27, 2007 3:23 PM

While I not a fat free eater or vegan full-time, I really love http://www.fatfreevegan.com/. The food always tastes fantastic without fat and dairy. Vegetarians are savvy spice users!

Posted by: Kay | April 27, 2007 4:52 PM

This is a great list!! I think Vanesscipes is particularly beautiful - great photos and very interesting vegetarian recipes. But maybe I'm just a sucker for it because I also live in NYC and love her snarky urban style.

Posted by: Samantha | May 2, 2007 11:02 PM