Kim in Seattle

Greetings from the Pacific Northwest! The air is cool and a bit autumnal, but the sunsets are as glorious as I remember. It's great to be back in the city I love so dearly and catch up with close friends and do some good eating. I'll be offline for the rest of the week, but promise to share my food-and-drink adventures upon my return home next week. Stay cool, ya hear? And if you've got a Seattle tidbit to share -- a place you suggest or want me to check out -- please share in the comments area below. I'll be checking in periodically.

By Kim ODonnel |  August 27, 2007; 9:15 AM ET
Previous: Karla's Figs | Next: Seattle: So Many Bites, So Little Time

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

The brew pub scene in Seattle is the best (and currently a topic of discussion on the DC-Beer mailing list). If you can go to only one, check out Elysian Brewing Co.

Posted by: Arlington, VA S | August 27, 2007 10:52 AM

I was in Seattle a couple of weeks ago and had delicious dinners at Etta's and Ray's Boathouse. The view at Ray's is as incredible as the food.

Posted by: Patty | August 27, 2007 11:52 AM

- Pike Place Chowder in Pike Place Market. Best chowders I've ever had - smoked salmon, clam, market, and scallop.

- Dragonfish cafe on 8th and Pine

- Uwajimama on 5th is a big Oriental supermarket that has a nice food court. Apparently it's a Seattle staple, but if you've been to the Super H marts around here then the impact is lessened.

- Ivar's on the waterfront - the bar food consists of mostly deep fried clams, oysters, etc., but it's interesting to feed the seagulls french fries and shrimp tails.

The Experience Music Project next to the Space Needle is a great deal as admission is 10 bucks and also includes admission to the Science Fiction museum.

Enjoy the city, it's a great place to just stroll around and take in.

Posted by: AK | August 27, 2007 12:16 PM

Have a Red Mill Burger! They are among the best burgers out there. There are locations near Fremont and in Greenwood.

Posted by: AC | August 27, 2007 12:25 PM

Find a place called Starbucks. They supposedly have great coffee.

Posted by: bw | August 27, 2007 12:52 PM

I second DragonFish. I was just there last night enjoying their happy hour (which is all night long on Mondays): crispy, greaseless fried calamari, spicy curried potatoes, fresh tuna sashimi, oh, and Tom Skerrit two tables down.

Posted by: New Seattlite | August 27, 2007 12:53 PM

For an Eritrean feast, go to Dahlak (2007 S State St), South of town. The veggie dishes are the best.

Posted by: KC | August 27, 2007 1:20 PM

Was just in Seattle - I miss it! The McMannimens pubs are great (the ruby brew is very good). Six Arms downtown and there is one in Fremont (totally cute town to visit).

Have fun!

Posted by: md | August 27, 2007 2:35 PM

- Lark is a great restaurant for local, seasonal food.
- Baguette Box is also fun for creative sandwiches. You should try their drunken chicken baguette!

Also, if you get a chance, you should pop down to Portland. The Portland Farmer's Market (not to be confused with Saturday Market) is huge and fabulous and we have many fun artisan chocolates, breads, and other yummy treats.

Posted by: Portlander | August 27, 2007 7:36 PM

Have the best pork sandwich in the world at Paseo (a tiny shack, literally) on Fremont Ave just south of 45th St and a burger and fries at Dick's just down 45th in the Wallingford neighborhood.

Posted by: Cascades K | August 27, 2007 8:42 PM

bw, hillarious!

Posted by: slm | August 28, 2007 1:08 PM

Oooooooh, Seattle is a foodie's dream! Try Racha for Thai food, Palace Kitchen... and I am trying to hunt down the name of the Best Chinese Restaurant on Earth.

Posted by: divine ms k | August 28, 2007 2:56 PM

They have an awesome McDonalds.

Posted by: mary k | August 28, 2007 3:05 PM

i EMPHATICALLY second paseo's in fremont, but be warned, there is no sign out front and they are closed sunday and monday. (eat the midnight cuban.)

agua verde - really good fish tacos on the water. they also have a paddle club right below the restaurant where you can rent a kayak and go out on the water. near the u-district.

cafe presse - cheap french food. capitol/first hill on 12th ave

coastal kitchen - geographically seasonal, right now they are in morocco. in capitol hill on 15th.

bleu bistro - wasabi grilled cheese. need i say more? ok i will: funky funky fun! on broadway, in cap hill.

i will stop going on and on now. but seattle is truly a haven of delicious food, which i never truly appreciated until moving to rural pennsylvania for college and realizing that china express and dairy queen were my only options.

Posted by: kdavid | August 28, 2007 6:03 PM

"eat the midnight cuban"....not unless she's been sanitized.

Posted by: dude k | August 28, 2007 9:15 PM

Le Pichet on First by Pike Place has fabulous French bistro fare.

Also, the hum bow at Mee Sum Pastry at Pike Place (by the pig) are the best I've ever had!

Have fun and eat up.

Posted by: Becca | August 29, 2007 11:20 AM

Kim - was in Seattle last week. Had great light meals at Restaurant Zoe and a new wine bar in Cap Hill called Poco. Both worth visits. Dinner at Palace Kitchen was good if slightly uneven. Wanted to hit Lark but ran out of time and also Mario Batali's father's little place, Salumi, where the very long line was out on the street. Have fun!

Posted by: Eater | August 29, 2007 3:14 PM

Thanks to all of you for such great local tidbits and travel tales. I plan to file a short report on Friday, so stay tuned. Right now, I'm out at Snoqualmie Falls, with a magnificent view of the Cascades and the falls just around the corner. Weather is blue sky and sunny, lovely as can be.

Posted by: Kim O'Donnel | August 29, 2007 7:03 PM

ditto on ray's boathouse! so tasty & the view is fab!

the falls at snoqualmie are amazing - i'm so glad you got there! the spa is fantastic at the hotel.

royal cupcake is another place to check out... for the obvious. ranks up there with love cafe.

Posted by: dc | August 30, 2007 9:45 PM

Hope you had some Snoqualmie wine! When I was in Seattle a couple of weeks ago, I tried to find the wine I fell in love with more than a decade ago, but wasn't lucky. But the food in Seattle is really great. We liked our experience at the Pink Door (close to the Pike Place Market) best - the tomato bruschetta was a big, delicious surprise! Breakfast at 5 Spot was wonderful, especially after hiking up from lower Queen Anne. If you have time, take the ferry over to Bainbridge Island and take a stroll around town, have a leasurely lunch at the Harbor Public House (make sure you sit on the terrace with the marina view) and finish up with one of the amazing flavors of icecream at Mora Iced Creamery before heading back to the ferry. We also had dinner at the highly recommended Tilth, but while not exactly a let-down, it was much less exciting than, for example, our own Komi (both chefs were on Food&Wine lists of best new chefs). And for non-food highlights try the Seattle Public Library. Now if we could have something like that in DC!!!

Posted by: Anke | August 30, 2007 10:37 PM

Ugh, stay away from Ray's Boathouse, I was there last Friday and it reminded me of Sequoia's: overpriced food and a too preppy crowd. I half expected to run into Jenna (forgetting that I'm not in DC anymore :) )

Posted by: New Seattlite | August 31, 2007 12:18 PM