Morning-After Thanksgiving Eats

Good Thanksgiving morning-after to you. Are you staring aimlessly at your coffee like I am, going at a decidedly slower pace than usual? (I decided against getting up at four a.m. and joining the throngs of frenzied Black Friday shoppers at Target.)

Once I'm out of my morning coma (all that cooking will knock the wind out of you), I'll take stock of the contents of the fridge, assessing the state of the leftovers. We were a small albeit merry group of three yesterday (including Father-in-Law Appetite), collaborating on a menu that included brined roast turkey, stuffing, gravy, cranberry sauce, curried mashed sweet potatoes and wilted tatsoi with a hot mustardy vinaigrette. For dessert, we got in the car with our upside down pumpkin-cranberry-pecan cake and joined forces with friends to sample six different sweet offerings. What a sugar high!

There's been talk about making "dressing sandwiches", but I got my eye on an ad hoc pot pie, or maybe a pot of impromptu chili, using shredded turkey to fill in the missing gaps. For lunch tomorrow, before the father-in-law departs, perhaps I'll whip up a batch of Vietnamese-style turkey salad, a refreshing multi-flavored wonder from Nigella Lawson that brings my palate back into balance.

So, what do you do with your Thanksgiving leftovers? Anyone making soup today? I'm game to hear what you've got cooking over the weekend. Hmmm... I think I hear someone serving leftover pie for breakfast downstairs...

By Kim ODonnel |  November 23, 2007; 9:27 AM ET Thanksgiving
Previous: Thanksgiving Table for One | Next: Leftover Pumpkin Gets a Breakfast-y Makeover

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

The tradition at our house for the day after comes from my mother-in-law:

Turkey Spaghetti
2 to 3 C chopped cooked turkey
8 oz spaghetti, cooked and drained
3 slices bacon, fried til crisp--then crumble

1 C diced onion browned in 1 T bacon grease
Add 1 C diced celery and 1 C chopped mushrooms to onion
Add bacon pieces, 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes, 1 8 oz can tomato sauce, 1/2 C chopped black olives and turkey
Add 2 cups chicken broth, 1 t oregano, 1 t basil, salt and pepper and simmer 10 minutes
Add spaghetti and simmer another 5 minutes.

Keeps well in fridge.

Posted by: rmh | November 23, 2007 11:40 AM

Yes, pie for breakfast! That is my own personal tradition! My family lives mostly within 30 minutes of me, so I always come home on Thanksgiving night with tons of leftovers. The first thing I go for the next morning is the apple cobbler. And, sometimes a side of mac and cheese like this morning!

Posted by: Sweetie | November 23, 2007 11:46 AM

I've worked up a pretty good turkey quiche. I substitute sour cream for milk and use a smoked cheese (either gouda or cheddar), add a little chopped red pepper and mushrooms and some turkey seasonings. It's become traditional about 3 days after the holiday.

Posted by: mike | November 23, 2007 11:56 AM

Pot pie is where it's at.

Posted by: Pro Baker | November 23, 2007 1:02 PM

Toasted turkey sandwich with cranberry sauce, mayo, and good ol' Frenchie's yellow mustard. I have been thinking about it all day, unfortuntally we did not come home with any leftovers.. so I'm thinking at some point this weekend I'm making a turkey breast and cranberry sauce to satisfy my leftover tradition! MM!

Posted by: Lynds | November 23, 2007 1:41 PM

I am working today (hospitals never close) but I will be making turkey soup tonight, followed by a barley turkey risotto tomorrow (recipe in NYT). The stuffing is long gone, so I may make another batch. Best of all is the wonderful smell lingering in the house of turkey and the fixings, melding with the soup this evening. Its heaven.

Posted by: babsy | November 23, 2007 2:03 PM

Our Cousin hosted Thasnksgiving. She is a great cook, but has had her husband in the hospital recently and was tired. She insisted on doing the meal. She bought a brining kit from WS(the national cookware store). The instructions said nothing about how to select a bird, so she bought a 19#frozen from the grocery-guess what?Pree moistened(brined).Not seeing this she brinerd it using the kit for 24 hours, rinsed it, then stuffed it baked it.Used drippings for gravy-Salt,salt,salt. Poor labeling by a company like WS if you ask me.

Posted by: Paul in MI | November 24, 2007 8:28 PM

Hey there, Kim! I moved up to Maryland from Atlanta last year, and one thing I miss is your Kitchen Witch column. I still scour the CL website for old recipes, like your squash soup and your caramels. I'm glad to see that you blog up here.

Posted by: Rachael | November 25, 2007 9:25 AM

Hey!

What happened to my cool and contemporary recipe for leftover turkey that I posted and showed up on the WP site until Saturday or so?

Turkey burritos and green chile turkey stew! ~ you can't get better than that.

They were good, actually delicious. I guess, however, you'll have to wait until next year...

/John

Posted by: John | November 26, 2007 12:18 PM

John, there were some technical problems with the blogs over the weekend, so it looks like your recipe got lost in the sauce. Please re-post -- would love to have it included.

Posted by: Kim O'Donnel | November 26, 2007 12:21 PM