Mixing Drinks (and Cooking) From Your iPod

How would you like your digital, downloadable margarita -- straight up or on the rocks?

That's the gist of a cocktail recipe book now accessible on your iPod. Originally published as a 128-page hard-cover book in 2006, "101 Margaritas," by drink minx Kim Haasarud, is the latest addition to Raybooks, a line of digital, iPod-able books offered by Durham, N.C.-based Modality, Inc.

A photo from the iPod version of "101 Margaritas." (Kim O'Donnel)

It brings a whole new meaning to iPod mixology, n'est-ce pas? I've just downloaded Haasarud's book to get a sense of the look, feel and functionality, and I must say, the interface is impressive. It's readable, clear and easy to navigate and includes all the photos from the original book. Pricewise, a Raybook is a tad more than buying the two-year-old print version via amazon.com, where it's presently listed as $10.85, but then you've got to pay for shipping. The Raybook version is $15.99, but throughout the month of May, all titles are 20 percent off (using coupon code "SPRING08"), which brings the price down to $12.79.

Presently, there are just four food and drink titles up for grabs, but I just got word that several cookbooks are joining the Raybook ranks by the end of the month, including "How to Grill" by Steven Raichlen, just in time for Memorial Day weekend.

So what do you think? Can you envision using your iPod to cook supper or mix drinks? Is this too cool for school or a lot of digital hot air? Weigh in if you so choose.

By Kim ODonnel |  May 1, 2008; 11:00 AM ET Food on the Web , Liquid Diet
Previous: Kim's Six Go-To Kitchen Favorites | Next: Derby Day Beer Cheese

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

I have seen this product first hand I have to say...it's amazing. Imagine walking up to a bartender, handing them your ipod and saying "make me this, please"! One of the coolest ideas out on ipods. Also, whoever designed the graphics for this product is amazing! That person must really have some skills.

Posted by: User from Raleigh | May 1, 2008 12:51 PM

No, I don't really get this. Why would you need drink/cooking recipes on the go? When you're cooking/mixing drinks aren't you in your own kitchen? Where your cook books are handy? And wouldn't it be more cumbersome to try to get a recipe off your iPod vs out of a book? Doesn't make sense to me. And I'm a young, tech savvy, intrepid cook.

Posted by: U street girl | May 1, 2008 12:55 PM

These are great for carrying around recipes for when you're out and thinking ahead about what to eat or drink later. Nothing worse than forgetting an ingredient or standing in the store and not knowing what you're going to cook or drink that night. Makes a lot of sense to me.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 1, 2008 1:00 PM

I love to use my iTouch to pull up recipes from my email account while cooking. It's all the more easy if you use an email account that allows tagging/labeling your emails. With that you can just email yourself a recipe, tag it with your own categories such as "appetizers," "soup," etc and then search then stand in the kitchen skimming your "online cookbook" for inspiration. Piece of cake!

Posted by: Anonymous | May 1, 2008 1:24 PM

Ah, yes, for food shopping it would be helpful, wasn't really thinking about it in that way.

Posted by: U street girl | May 1, 2008 1:51 PM

i actually cheated the other night while teaching someone how to cook something, by using a recipe I had on my Blackberry! I'd never let them know! But I had to since it was a new recipe to me... but it worked so I'm not complaining and will probably use i again!

Bren

flanboyanteats.com

Posted by: FlaNBoyant Eats | May 1, 2008 7:15 PM

Ipod or computer--regardless, even with many cookbooks it's often easiest and most fruitful to simply google whatever I'm thinking of preparing with the word "recipe" appended. This allows me to examine a number of recipes and create an amalgam recipe with those ingredients, techniques and processes I like best.

Posted by: Dave | May 4, 2008 8:12 AM