Much-Needed Tears From 'Onion' Cooking Video

We interrupt our regular program of paper shuffling and dish-towel drama for this special report from the geniuses at Onion News Network (ONN):

In the throes of single-handedly packing up the contents of Casa Appetite, I haven't laughed in days, and after watching "Chef Adam Scott" demo the omelet that came to him in a dream, I couldn't stop. Man, I needed that (and just had to share the comic relief).

Should I spoil the fun and tell you what my favorite parts are? I think it's when Adam asks "Jim," the apron-donned "Today Now" host to put on his scarf and "get me three pieces of bacon out of the bathroom cabinet" to crumble over the nearly-done omelet. Or is it when Scott says "if you use a fork, Robin Williams is going to come and offer to lend you use his whisk and the two of you will go up to his grandparent's attic and there's millions of doors up there....and it really saves you a lot of time if you use a whisk."

Brilliant!

Here's what I want to know: Anyone out there ever cook in their dreams? Who was there? What did you prepare? Did you use a shoehorn as a cooking utensil? Share the inner workings of your culinary subconscious in the comments area. As for me, I recall a dinner party in a multi-storied house, very open-air, decorative clay pots and I was stirring something dressed in a red sarong -- and my hair was black. Not a shoe horn in the house, though.

Dish up your gastronomic dreams or whatever else is on your mind today at noon ET for What's Cooking.

By Kim ODonnel |  July 28, 2008; 10:36 PM ET Food on the Web , Kitchen Musings
Previous: ELC Guest Bloggers: Jon from D.C. and Sheila from Ore. | Next: Chat Leftovers: Eye of Round Steak Creation, Meatless Farm Market Supper

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

The video was hilarious! Have fun, minus the packing, on your last days in DC/VA. Have a safe trip across America, and we look forward to KO'D Travel Diary.

Posted by: East Coast | July 29, 2008 12:09 PM

I got a stack overflow at line 50 so I won't be surprised if this doesn't post. The funniest part to me was that the landlord's car wouldn't start, apparently because his keys were on the plate. And the toothpaste reference was to glue your teeth back in after the landlord finds his keys. By the way, why isn't it "teethpaste?"

Posted by: Shiloh | July 29, 2008 12:14 PM

This site doesn't appear to have italics. Do you know Tibor Szegy-Legy?

Posted by: Shiloh | July 29, 2008 12:20 PM

"...stirring something dressed in a red sarong" sounds Freudian. Did you have your dream analyzed?

Posted by: Shiloh | July 29, 2008 12:27 PM

I can't remember ever having dreamed about food.

But I am thinking about Garlic Salad for dinner!

Posted by: dbG | July 29, 2008 1:22 PM

Hey Kim! Great video.. thanks!

Getting ready for your trip adventure? Did you remember to pack your Boodle? That's OK because we've gotcher Boodle right here!

Posted by: TBG | July 29, 2008 2:37 PM

Howdy, just came over from the A'blog to take a look around.

I don't dream of cooking but I have harvest dreams-picking the world's tastiest tomato, sweet corn, strawberries etc. I usually have these dreams the night before a marauding critter comes along. Mr. F thinks I should leap out of bed and rush to the garden when I have them as he believes they are predictive. Me, not so much. I think they are just born of the dread most gardening cooks feel when they share their space with wildlife. Squirrels would have eaten all my NoVA strawberries dream or no dream.

Posted by: frostbitten | July 29, 2008 3:03 PM

Try fake owls as scarecrows.

Posted by: Shiloh | July 29, 2008 3:19 PM

Hey Kim...you wanted a list of some Omaha restaurants, the suggestions below are ones that I frequently visit and would recommend.

_McFoster's Natural Kind of Cafe_ (lots of vegetarian fare with a few chicken and salmon dishes)
_M's Pub_ (a wide variety of savory dishes from duck salad to various Lavoshes...the decor is actually inspired by the owner's trip to Georgetown!)
_Vivace_ (more upscale sister of M's Pub...I love the proscutio wrapped figs)
_Goldberg's_ (a "burger and fries" kinda place)
_The Upstream_ (a large local brewery with "fine" bar food...wings, burgers etc.)
_Zio's Pizza_ (very good, but it's "family" food as opposed to "fine" food)
_Dario's_ (a brasserie with lovely sandwiches, crab cakes and obscure beers)
And then the _e-creamery_ for homemade ice cream, gelatto and sorbetto
(If you are a beverage person, I also highly recommend stopping by the _Tea Smith_ It has over 50 varieties of loose leaf teas, including black, green, white, herbal, and Oolong)

Let me know (via the MA blog, I guess) if you are looking for something in a different vein. Omaha also has several lovely sushi bars (though I don't think of them as "the Nebraska experience") and of course, we have a large number of very good steak houses (though they may be a bit heavy for lunch.) Good luck with the move and the trip!!

Posted by: Omaha | July 29, 2008 3:49 PM

mental ward haiku

Had dreams of cooking
sought to serve humanity
all better now though

We're from the Achenblog, and we're here to help.

Posted by: SonofCarl | July 29, 2008 3:53 PM

Jeeminy Christmas, am I still in Kansas? I thought that I clicked my heels. Three times.

Posted by: Don from I-270 | July 29, 2008 4:25 PM

You guys! Thanks for joining!

I'll be faxing some peach pie to each of you to celebrate.

Posted by: dbG | July 29, 2008 8:58 PM

Can I have some ice cream to go with this pie?

Posted by: frostbitten | July 29, 2008 10:57 PM

Omaha: Thank you so very much for the travel tips.
Boodlers, it's nice to see you all in this space but please don't scare the Mighty Appetite natives. They need to be broken in slowly.

Posted by: Kim O'Donnel | July 30, 2008 12:04 AM

lmao!!! ha ha that was funny. i've yet to have a cooking dream, which is weird. Well one that I remember anyway! I always dream about things I love, hate or stress about! Go figure.

Posted by: Bren@Flanboyant Eats | July 30, 2008 1:38 AM

Years ago I had a dream in which I was scrambling eggs while John Lennon was at a sink to my left washing a head of lettuce. Out through the window above the sink, were rows and rows of corn and a figure with a scythe. I remember the sky was a weird purple-y red color.

Posted by: Sarah | July 30, 2008 12:47 PM

I don't recall ever having a cooking dream, but I do remember visualizing Julia Child and James Beard in a food fight, slinging gobs of mayonnaise, beurre noisette, champignons and vegetables at each other.

Posted by: Shiloh | July 30, 2008 1:43 PM

I am one of the Achenblog Boodlers nosing about for good eats. My culinary fame comes from cooking over open fires in Africa and keeping hyenas away from my Cordon Bush Cuisine.

The results of my open fire cooking in the Andes was called Condor Bleu.

Posted by: Brag | July 30, 2008 5:42 PM

How can I follow your footsteps......career wise.........please advise.

Posted by: Isabella Isaac | August 12, 2008 4:23 PM