MA Road Trip: Birthday Cowgirl Tips Wanted

Good morning from Bozeman, Mont.! I've just been treated to a fabulous daybreak light show, and I couldn't ask for a better way to start my birthday. Yep, this cowgirl has another knot in her lasso, and life keeps getting better. Giddyup!

It is a chilly 45 degrees here, but the forecast is promising temps in the mid-70s. Mister MA and I arrived late yesterday afternoon and holed up at Lehrkind Mansion B&B, the Victorian-style residence of 19th-century Montana brew king Julius Lehrkind. A registered historic property, the mansion was built in 1897 next door to Mr. Lehrkind's Bozeman Lager Beer brewery, the fa├žade of which remains today.

Dusk in Bozeman, Springs, Mont. (Kim O'Donnel)

Before we checked in, we checked out Plonk, an uber-chic wine bar right on Main Street.

We're headed west this morning to Missoula, but here's where you come in: I'm in search of birthday-worthy spots and nibbles between Bozeman and Missoula. Where should this cowgirl blow out her birthday candles? Holler with your ideas.

This weekend, Mister MA and I will peel across Idaho, into eastern Washington and make our way into Seattle by Sunday afternoon. Monday, I'll have a final road trip report with reflections. Have a delicious weekend!

By Kim ODonnel |  August 22, 2008; 9:26 AM ET MA on the Road , Travel
Previous: MA Road Trip: Small Town Lovin' | Next: MA Road Trip: Farm Market Weekend

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Kim, Happy Birthday! I wish I was there... I'll visit you soon enough in Seattle. xoxo

Posted by: Nan | August 22, 2008 1:00 PM

Happy Birthday Kim-

I moved from Greenbelt, Md to Northern Idaho a year ago and I've enjoyed reading your blog about your road trip adventure (as I can relate!) I'm a little jealous of all the things you are able to see and do, because during our move my husband and I were trying to set a land speed record and did the trip in 5.5 days and saw absolutely NOTHING memorable - we took only two pictures the entire trip: 1) the cat having a meltdown in the WV Cabela's parking lot and 2) the "Welcome to Idaho" sign at the top of Lookout Pass on I-90.

We have been to Missoula several times and here are my suggestions: try the Moose Drool beer from Big Sky Brewing Company (per another MA reader) and also give Glacier Brewing Company's Slurry Bomber Stout a try. Moose Drool is readily available in the PNW, but I have only been able to find Slurry Bomber in Montana, so indulge! Yes, I'm a Stout fan....

Also, we make it a point to eat at MacKenzie River Pizza Co. (two locations in Missoula) whenever we travel to Montana. They have about 10 locations spread throughout the state, so maybe you have stumbled on them in Bozeman or Billings. And one last thing, I think the Missoula Farmer's Market is on Saturdays in the old downtown and it's peak huckleberry season. About 15 vendors last time I was there, small but great for local flava'.

Safe Travels!

Posted by: Vernia | August 22, 2008 1:17 PM

You may not be able to find it but if you can, you must try Old Faithful Ale. My husband has only been able to find it around Yellowstone (and even then, scarce except in the park) but it is awesome. We even searched for some in the Rockies back in June on a trip to Denver. If you see it around Missoula, ya gotta try it.

p.s. we are from the South but have traveled out to Yellowstone country a few times and each time only makes us want to move out there permanently. Maybe one day...

Posted by: apfromal | August 22, 2008 1:26 PM

oh yeah... also, try to Huckleberry Ice Cream- amazing!

Posted by: apfromal | August 22, 2008 1:27 PM

Happy Birthday again, Kim. I know you are thrilled that "Hubby, Mr MA" has joined you on the last stretch to Wash State. Have a great weekend, and a bottle of wine. CHEERS! : )

Posted by: East Coast | August 23, 2008 7:24 AM

Happy birthday and safe travels Kim!!!

Posted by: heather and charlie | August 23, 2008 10:08 AM