Meatless Monday: Mushroom Holiday

This week’s Meatless Monday post comes from washingtonpost.com colleague Michele Hatty, an avid home cook, and much to my delight, a mushroom enthusiast. As some of you may know, I’m allergic to mushrooms and am therefore unable to test any recipes containing my beloved fungi. Below, her recent recipe find. Fellow 'shroom lovers, don't be shy: share your favorite mushroom treats in the comments area.

Before I got married this past May, I rarely cooked for myself. And those times when I did cook, I typically chose vegetarian recipes. My new husband, however, grew up as a meat-and-potatoes Midwestern boy, so most nights some sort of fish, chicken or beef stars in whatever entrée I’m preparing. That’s why I was secretly a bit excited when he was out of town for a business trip last week. Although I knew I would miss him tremendously, it would afford me a chance to go meatless again in the kitchen, and even better, to get creative with the mushroom, a vegetable that he isn’t crazy about.

(Michele Hatty)

I found a recipe that seemed written for me -- Mushroom Turnovers With Sour Cream –-- published in the November issue of Everyday Food magazine.

The recipe calls for just five ingredients: a mix of mushrooms, frozen puff pastry, onion, olive oil and a little bit of sour cream served on the side. To prepare, thaw and roll out a sheet of puff pastry, cut into four equal portions and fill each with onions and mushrooms that have been sauteed in olive oil.

Sprinkle a little salt and pepper into the mix, then fold each puff pastry rectangle over mini-mound of mushroom mixture to form individual Hot Pocket-like turnovers. Crimp the edges of the turnovers with a fork so that nothing escapes out the sides as they bake, cut slits in the top so that heat can escape, then bake in a 425-degree oven for 20-25 minutes, with sour cream as garnish. It was so simple.

I really liked my mix of mushrooms: chanterelle, enoki, shiitake, plus a few porcini instead of my old standbys of white button and portobello.

Thinly sliced, they made for a woodsy mushroom-lover’s delight. I did have some thoughts on giving the end result more oomph, though. If I make these again, I might play a little more with the ingredients, adding some thyme, a splash of white wine and perhaps some butter to the pan before sauteeing the vegetables.

Note to puff pastry novices: You need not fear the dough. At first, I was slightly intimidated by puff pastry, as I work with it infrequently, but it was essentially idiot-proof. A little flour on the counter and on the rolling pin made for an easy experience. Plus, it was fun to use my rolling pin for something other than cookie dough.

By Kim ODonnel |  December 22, 2008; 7:00 AM ET Meatless Monday
Previous: Deep-Fried Philosophy | Next: Baking for the Troops

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

My hubby is also allergic to mushrooms - think you could substitute tofu for this recipe?

Posted by: jbird3 | December 22, 2008 10:32 AM

Once in a while, I like to saute sliced mushrooms, onions, and green peppers in a skillet and serve on a hard roll with melted provolone. The hard roll soaks up the juices in a minute and it's a nice warm treat on a cold day.

Posted by: justhere | December 22, 2008 10:42 AM

Jbird -- saute some tempeh like I did a few weeks back -- it's quite meaty like mushrooms.

Posted by: Kim ODonnel | December 22, 2008 10:50 AM

Sorry about the apostasy, but I can't help but think how good this would be with a little beef, onion, provolone and green pepper. Oops! We just made a philly cheesesteak en croute.

Posted by: davemarks | December 22, 2008 1:55 PM

Marinated Wild Mushroom Canapes from MarxFoods.com

Party Recipe:
Makes about 50 Servings

2 lbs. wild mushrooms (chanterelles, hedghogs, porcini, black trumpets or a mix)
1 leek, thinly sliced
½ yellow onion, thinly sliced
1 small carrot, thinly sliced
½ stalk celery, thinly sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon ground coriander (or 2 tsp. whole)
3 tablespoons sherry vinegar or Ritrovo Black Currant Vinegar
1 sprig thyme, whole
3 tbsp parsley, chopped
1/3 cup chicken stock
2 baguettes, sliced crosswise into ½ inch-thick rounds
Salt & Pepper to taste
1/3 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil

1. Clean mushrooms and chop in ¾ inch pieces.

2. Add mushrooms to a large pan, heated to medium-high and coated with olive oil. Add teaspoon of salt. Saute for about 10 minutes or until most of the water released from the mushrooms has evaporated.

3. Remove mushrooms from the pan and set aside. Leave oil in the pan.

4. Add leek, carrot, celery and onion. Saute over medium heat until the vegetables are golden brown.

5. Add bay leaf, thyme, garlic and coriander (wrapped in sachet if coriander is whole). Return mushrooms to the pan. Stir and let sauté for three minutes.

6. Add vinegar and sauté for 1 minute.
7. Add chicken stock. Bring to a simmer for 1 minute.

8. Turn off heat. Transfer to heat resistant bowl. Add 1/3 cup olive oil.

9. Let sit for 2 hours.

10. Adjust seasoning with salt and fresh lemon juice.

Toasts
1. Slice baguette crosswise into ½ inch thick slices.

2. Lightly brush slices on both sides with olive oil. Season with salt.

3. Lay out on a sheet pan. Bake at 350 degrees, until golden, about 8 minutes per side.

Presentation
Lay toasts out on a plate and, using a spoon, place marinated mushrooms on the toasts. Serve and Eat.

Wine Pairing: Pinot Noir from Burgundy or the Russian River.

Beer Pairing: Amber Ale

For Photos and step-by-step instructions: http://marxfood.com/marinated-wild-mushroom-canapes/

Posted by: emily12 | December 22, 2008 2:15 PM

one of my favoite meals consisting using mushrooms can be served at all three meals breakfast,lunch,dinner and a snack.
i cook all ingredients in a large skillet together,vegetarian egg (1),a sliced tomato,small amount of spinach,small amount mushrooms,toast pre sliced bagel and add a small amt. of extra virgin oil to toast.once cooked add all ingredients on the bagel.cook with extra virgin oil, it's optional to use salt but i prefer not to.this is a wonderful and healthy breakfast with wonderful nutrients.i prefer using pepperidge farm pre sliced 100% wheat bagels.for juice drink a fresh orange juice or cranberry.ENJOY!!!

Posted by: ronaldtennillegeorgia1 | December 23, 2008 6:21 AM

Anyone have any good techniques for making your own puff pastry? I'd love to try this from scratch!

itastedc.blogspot.com