25 Random Things, Kitchen Style

Even if you're not a Facebook user, you've probably heard about the "25 Random Things" thingy that's been spreading like wildfire. Just yesterday, you could read all about it here and here and here.

Like a gazillion other Facebookers, I succumbed to the pressure, but as suggested by a trusted consigliere, I limited my list-composing time to 15 minutes. In the midst of my pen-to-paper extemporaneous combustion (yes, I actually hand wrote my list), it occurred to me that this might be a fun exercise for us cooks.

To get things started, I've compiled my own "25 Random -- With a Kitchen Twist," below, which I've cut and pasted directly from my Facebook Fan page. You can use it as a model and make it your own "25" to share with your "friends" or weigh in at the bottom of this page or add your comments here. And in case this is completely Greek, I've included the rules and how-to.

If nothing else, this exercise feeds the writing muse. Have fun, and tell me something random!

Rules: Once you've been tagged, write a note with 25 random things, facts, habits, or goals about food and drink, your kitchen, cooking life or anything edible, culinary or gastronomical.

At the end, choose 25 people to be tagged. You have to tag the person who tagged you. If I tagged you, it's because I want to know more about you.

To do this, go to “NOTES” under tabs on your "PROFILE" page (you may have to add the tab by clicking on the + sign) click on "Compose New Messsage" and paste these instructions in the body of the note, type your 25 random things, tag 25 people (in the right hand corner of the app) then click publish.

1. During the week, I make coffee with my Bialetti stovetop espresso maker; on the weekend, it's a French press pot shared with Mister MA.

2. My first cookbook as a kid was the Better Homes & Garden Junior Cookbook; my first cookbook as an adult was "The New Basics Cookbook" by Julee Rosso and Sheila Lukins. I still own both.

3. For the first time in I don't know how long, I have a toaster. Not a toaster oven, but a four-slice toaster.

4. I used Sweet-n-Low and Cremora in my Maxwell House coffee in college.

5. I didn't learn to light a grill properly until I got married. That was two years ago.

6. The best peach of my life was in Greece, when I was 17.

7. One morning, about 15 years ago, I was getting ready for work in my basement apartment in D.C. I opened the kitchen cabinet to get a coffee cup, and a rat flew out of the cabinet.

8. My first day on the job as a line cook, I was asked to keep an eye on a pot of lemon curd, and I nearly fainted.

9. I much prefer eating at the bar than at a table.

10. I butchered 80 lobsters in cooking school with a Turkish guy named Sukru. At the end of the day, I smelled like a sewer.

11. Bourbon, neat. With a water back.

12. Livers, better than okay. Kidneys, thymus glands and brains, not so much.

13. I would like to be one of those people who bakes bread at least once a week.

14. I am determined to have my own vegetable garden.

15. I need more schooling on canning and preserving.

16. I have yet to cook Afghani food. Hawaiian too.

17. I am not a compulsive eater, unless there's a bag of chips or a plate of bacon on the counter.

18. Food does appear in my dreams, and usually there's music, the sea and the color orange.

19. I could eat beans every day. Except franks 'n' beans in a can.

20. No matter how hard I try, I still cannot make pasta to save my life.

21. Teaching someone how to cook, even just one recipe, is like giving someone a key to a door they never knew existed.

22. I am envious of people who have had recipes passed down from previous generations.

23. I would like to learn how to cure pork and make cheese.

24. I wonder if/when I have a bigger kitchen, as I fantasize, whether it really be all that it's cracked up to be.

25. I am at work, with my agent, on selling a cookbook to publishers.

By Kim ODonnel |  February 6, 2009; 7:00 AM ET Kitchen Musings
Previous: Cook’s Library: What’s Baking on the Shelves | Next: Meatless Monday: Indonesian-Style Noodles

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Who cares!!! Facebook is for losers!!! Wait a minute damn my sheep and gos have pages in Facebook.

Posted by: sheepherder | February 6, 2009 8:29 AM

Hi Kim,
I've always admired the stovetop Bialetti. Will it work on a smooth ceramic top electric stove? Please say yes-this will be my next birthday present!!!!

Posted by: awb1 | February 6, 2009 8:36 AM

Hi Kim,
What a wonderful 25. :) I succumbed to the pressure and did my own on Facebook after I was tagged a bunch of times.
It's fun to watch, isn't it?

Posted by: earlysun | February 6, 2009 9:44 AM

Awb1, yes, it works on a smooth ceramic top. We are currently renting a home where that is the case.

Posted by: Kim ODonnel | February 6, 2009 12:11 PM

There's no point in a bigger kitchen. Great things can be done in small spaces. I've found that since I moved from an apartment to a house with a real, human-sized kitchen, the food hasn't changed but the amount of junk in the kitchen that gets in my way has increased exponentially.
If you want to expand, keep the kitchen the same size, but add a butler's pantry with a sink.

Posted by: otherliz | February 6, 2009 12:38 PM

While I agree that the gadgets/junk can get out of control with a big kitchen, and the food might not taste any better, I have found my bigger kitchen to be a complete joy.

My old 1938 era galley kitchen was so small that I could not open my oven and fridge door at the same time. Counter space was tight and my spouse and I were constantly bumping. There was a lot of storage, but much of it was due to cabinets that reached to the top of the 9 foot ceilings.

My new kitchen has a better u-shaped layout, more counters, and room for an eat-on/work-on island. The storage amount is similar but more easily accessed. I also gained a pantry, so I no longer have to go to the basement to retrieve seldom-used but necessary pans like my large roaster. I can also now bulk buy more items.

The bestie was that when we moved, I now have a gas cooktop rather than the electric I had at our older home. Had we stayed, we were going to replace that stove with a gas one.

I think the convenience of my new kitchen is worth it, and the fact that my spouse, friends and others can gather in the kitchen now is a plus.

Posted by: khachiya1 | February 6, 2009 2:53 PM

i'm with you on no. 23. and No. 1 is my all in all! I have 4 of the, ranging from vintage to new. Without my espresso, I am not normal! Sippin' on some now actually! :)

Oh did u see a youtube vid on making your own cheese!? It's pretty cool. He did the vid in like 6 mins and shows you exactly step by step. Nothing too complicated at all. I'll find it and repost!

Posted by: FlanBoyantEats | February 9, 2009 9:59 AM

I've selected on of the Random Things on this last as one of the Best Random Things on the Web. No kidding.

Come to www.BestRandomThings.com to see this Thing and many others.

Thingmeister Jeffrey