Are You Too Sexy for Your Whisk?

You’ve planned a seduction with pie -- more than once. Your curry makes them hurry home. It’s not uncommon to find your dinner guests uncontrollably swooning between courses or lapping at your apron strings.

My, what big tools you have...(Kim O'Donnel)

And now, there’s a word for your kind -- gastrosexual.

According to UrbanDictionary.com, a “gastrosexual” is a guy “who sees cooking as a hobby and not just a chore,” someone who uses his culinary skills to win friends (and more importantly) lovers.

As a proud gastrosexual (actually I like to think of myself more of a temptress, known on a few continents for my morning-after apple coffee cake), I’m a bit flummoxed by the male-centric definition, as was radio cooking show host Lynne Rossetto Kasper, who had the presence of mind to rise above the soup scum and take gastrosexual matters into her own hands.

In fact, “The Splendid Table” hostess has just launched a “Gastrosexual of the Month” contest, one of the giggliest ideas I’ve heard in a good long while. Baby, if your kitchen moves are as slick as olive oil, Kasper wants to hear from you, whether you’re a lady or a gent.

But there's no time to waste, my culinary Casanovas; you’ve got until June 30 to submit an application, (which include questions such as “What do you consider the sexiest culinary tool?”); contestants with the hottest stuff will have the honor of appearing on Kasper’s show this summer.

Who said cooks don’t have more fun?

But more importantly, who's entering the contest? Any AMA reader who's chosen as a winner is guaranteed more ink in this here space.

By Kim ODonnel |  April 14, 2009; 7:00 AM ET Relationships
Previous: Meatless Monday: Party on With the Black-Eyed Peas | Next: On Tax Day, Cheap Is on the Menu

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Morning after...*cake*? Now you really are my hero. On a good day there's pancake batter (made the night before - sourdough) and bits of chopped apple but who the hell am I kidding still not a cake!

Posted by: ldgourmet | April 14, 2009 8:36 AM

There is nothing like someone demonstrating extreme competence in fulfilling one set of needs and desires to raise expectations of skills and abilities in other areas.

Posted by: esleigh | April 14, 2009 10:53 AM

Gastrosexual? Really? I don't think anyone is going to swoon over the guy in the trendy hotspot who reveals to a likely conquest that he's a gastrosexual. She's probably going to think he has something embarrassingly wrong with his plumbing. "Let me flex my culinary prowess for you, my dear. I think you'll be suitably impressed rise of my pâte feuilletage," he murmers as his eyes take in a most winsome tart.

Posted by: davemarks | April 14, 2009 12:04 PM

My husband is a gastosexual. I'm an excellent cook and I have a flair for it, but my husband truly seems to love cooking. He watches cooking shows and then goes into the kitchen and sees what new recipes he can come up with. He's mastered breadmaking and creates the most wonderful sesame crackers that I have ever eaten. His chocolate truffles are divine (though he eats more of them than anyone else).

Sharing his food is one of his delights. Hopefully, I can get him to enter.

Posted by: elyrest | April 14, 2009 12:23 PM

What a HOOT! This is along the lines of "the way to a man's heart is through his stomach," which, in my experience, involves copious amounts of fried bacon.

Posted by: CentreofNowhere | April 14, 2009 2:23 PM

I may have to change my ID to Arlington Gastrosexual. I met my husband at a happy hour on a Friday evening. Our first real date was the next day. I cooked dinner at his place. That was over 10 years ago.

Tonight, Kim's Cheddar Crust Pot Pie is in order on a cold, rainy day.

Posted by: ArlingtonGay | April 14, 2009 2:39 PM

DAVEMARKS! I think you need to write gastrosexual bodice rippers, you silver tonged devil, you! hee hee!

Posted by: Jess65 | April 15, 2009 8:11 AM

Hi Elyrest,

How about the recipe for those sesame crackers? Can you convince the husband to part with it? I love the Trader Joe's sesame crackers, but the nearest TJ is 6,000 miles away. . .

Thanks.