On Twitter: WPKatieCarrera and PostSports  |  Facebook  |  E-mail alerts: Redskins and Sports  |  RSS

Mystics Take Motown

The Mystics made a little more of their own history Wednesday night, beating the defending WNBA champion Detroit Shock, 75-69, to improve their record to 3-0 for the first time.

The win was Washington's first at the Palace of Auburn Hills since June 24, 2005.

Alana Beard scored 15 points and Crystal Langhorne added 14 points for the Mystics, who closed the first half on a 23-4 run to take a 38-27 lead into the break.

"It's the first time I've ever beaten Detroit," Langhorne told the Associated Press. "I know they are missing some players, but they are still the champs, so this is a big win."

A three-pointer from Detroit's Katie Smith (14 points) cut the Mystics' lead to two with 42 seconds left. But Washington's Lindsey Harding answered with her own long-distance shot to put the Shock away.

"They gambled and left Lindsey open, because she hadn't been hitting her shots," Washington Coach Julie Plank said. "She came through when we needed one."

Detroit, which fell to 1-2, was missing several key players: Cheryl Ford (knee), Plenette Pierson (shoulder) and Kara Braxton (suspension). The signed Kelly Schumacher Wednesday to have nine healthy players.

So what did you think of the Mystics' performance? Is the win a sign of how far they've come? Or did they catch Detroit on an off-night?

By Melissa Rosenberg  |  June 10, 2009; 11:34 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Sanford: "I don't care how beat up they are."
Next: Laimbeer Resigns as Shock Coach

Comments

WOW!

That's incredible! Looks like we just might have a team worth watching this year.

Posted by: EricS2 | June 11, 2009 1:19 AM | Report abuse

Even if Detroit had an off night, it's still an impressive win. The Mystics are showing some fight and confidence they haven't had before. Kudos to the coaching staff and players! Keep it up!

Posted by: krae-kartoons | June 11, 2009 6:35 AM | Report abuse

Nakia Sanford is terrible!!!!!! Please? Does anyone see this besides me?

Posted by: antoniologan | June 11, 2009 7:19 AM | Report abuse

No, antoniologan, you are not the only one who noticed. I was hoping they would get rid of her. I'm always shocked when she manages to make a lay-up.

Posted by: cwarddc | June 11, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

cwarddc,

You are sooooo right she blows so many lay ups..... I know we blew some easy ones last night but she is just ugh!!!!! She really doesn't add that much to the team on the floor so why? She turns the ball over as much as AB! I love AB though!!!! Just say no to Sanford!!!!!!

Posted by: antoniologan | June 11, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Let's not forget about Nakia's prowess -- or lack thereof -- from the foul line! I always hold my breath when she's there.

Posted by: stwasm | June 11, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Having said that, though, I trust Angela Taylor. Maybe she sees something we as fans don't. What, I'm not sure.

Posted by: stwasm | June 11, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

I love the way the Mystics are playing this year. They are showing a lot of intensity on the defensive end, and having a true point guard in Harding is really paying off. I love the second team -- Coleman, Ajevon, Humphrey are great.

BTW, I watched the game last night via webcast on WNBA.com. A lot of games are being broadcast that way this year, so we'll be able to see most of the Mystics away games. And it looks like it'll be a pleasure, instead of torment as in years past.

Posted by: nsw43 | June 11, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

This is the same Detroit team that trounced LA just a couple days ago. The Mystics have been revamped, re-energized and reborn! They won't win them all but this team has the most potential I've seen since 2002. Anything can happen but for now I'm really loving the way this team plays.

Posted by: amesv | June 11, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

This team is playing with a lot of confidence at the moment and it is refreshing to see. You can tell they have really improved defensively and that was a huge issue for this team in the past. Good luck to the ladies the rest of the season.

Posted by: uknowmeas-GQ | June 11, 2009 8:42 PM | Report abuse

You get the feeling with this year's edition of the Mystics that there is a good blend of talent and enthusiasm with the right type of teaching, coaching, and motivational approach that will carry this squad a long way, maybe all the way to October. The Dukies hold down the backcourt, and we have yet to see Humphrey's best. I see Tasha as an eventual starter. Lindsay drops more dimes than a caller at a 60's phone booth. Alana doesn't have to carry the load, and Coleman can explode at any time-The team is entertaining, and more fundamentally sound than ever. GO MYSTICS!

Posted by: rdberry | June 12, 2009 7:17 AM | Report abuse

We need to beat Detroit when they are healthy to see where we are.

But it is nice to see hustle, steals, and open shots being made! Those types of things will win some games!!!

Posted by: Rufus711 | June 12, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

I can't wait to see the rematch on June 19th! This has been one long week.. Mystics will be well-rested and re-energized! Go Coleman and Mystics!

Posted by: RedCherokee | June 15, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse