On Twitter: WPKatieCarrera and PostSports  |  Facebook  |  E-mail alerts: Redskins and Sports  |  RSS

Obama in attendance for Mystics-Shock game

President Barack Obama received a standing ovation from the Verizon Center crowd as he took his seat for this afternoon's Mystics game just before tip-off against the Tulsa Shock.

Obama is in attendance with his youngest daughter, Sasha, and is sitting courtside with Monumental Sports and Entertainment chairman Ted Leonsis and Mystics managing partner Sheila Johnson.

Earlier Sunday, Obama played basketball against an Army team at the District's Fort McNair, according to the Associated Press.

By Katie Carrera  |  August 1, 2010; 4:06 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Silver Stars 79, Mystics 75
Next: Mystics 87, Shock 62

Comments

Fort McNair is in DC

Posted by: shadowshopper1981 | August 1, 2010 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Let us all recognize that this article is about a dad taking his little girl to a WNBA game in order to help her appreciate and learn from Women that have dedicated themselves to physically and emotionally demanding sport of basketball.

I angrily disagreed with much of President Bush's agenda, but clearly he loved his family and they deserved respect and deference.

The mob leaves wives and kids alone - I think we can at least rise to an ethical level that is embraced by the Cosa Nostra.

Posted by: onebrightmonkey | August 1, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse

I guess he deserves or needs a vacation for all the VACATIONS he's been taking. LOL

Posted by: askgees | August 1, 2010 6:45 PM | Report abuse

The Great One went to the Spy Museum in
Shirtails and flip flops!!!
How disrespectful - how tacky!!!
Please spare us the dreadful details!!

Posted by: thornegp2626 | August 1, 2010 7:05 PM | Report abuse

It was awesome to have President Obama at the game - sitting just a few rows in front of me! The players and officials were also excited to see him. And his daughter looked like she was having a great time. Thank you, Mr. Obama, for bringing attention to the WNBA and to the Mystics. They played like they were worthy of his attendance.

Posted by: krae-kartoons | August 1, 2010 7:22 PM | Report abuse

I took my daughter to her first Mystics game today and it was awesome that the President was there with his daughter. The crowd loved the fact that he was there. Better yet, he spent a lot of time actually watching the game and stayed to the near end -- it would have been a logistical nightmare if he left the same time thousands of others did too. For the record, when I, a die-hard democratic, got to meet president Bush, I thought that was cool too.

Posted by: 18thGAmericanGirl | August 1, 2010 7:30 PM | Report abuse

It was great to see the President at the mystic game. Thanks President Obama for sharing your time in such a great game with the Breast Cancer Survivors.GO MYSTICS.

Posted by: eleanorjohnson1 | August 1, 2010 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Good DAD..!

and they had fun too.;-)

ISA

Posted by: vettessman | August 1, 2010 8:39 PM | Report abuse

@askgees -- WHO THE HECK ARE YOU KIDDING, YOU JACKWAGON?????

Don't you know George W. Bush spent 42 percent of his Presidency on vacation? On our dime?

Mr. Obama is working. I can't say the same for you, the 10-cents per Repugnant poster and poseur!!!!

Posted by: bs2004 | August 1, 2010 8:40 PM | Report abuse

"I'm sure this comment section will become a maelstrom of negativity and vicious insults.
Posted by: onebrightmonkey | August 1, 2010 6:06 PM
Posted by: krae-kartoons | August 1, 2010 7:22 PM
Posted by: 18thGAmericanGirl | August 1, 2010 7:30 PM
It was great to see the President at the mystic game. Thanks President Obama for sharing your time in such a great game with the Breast Cancer Survivors. GO MYSTICS.
Posted by: eleanorjohnson1 | August 1, 2010 7:40 PM
Good DAD..!
and they had fun too.;-)
Posted by: vettessman | August 1, 2010 8:39 PM"

*******************************************

I love your comments ... exactly what I was thinking and feeling. I love seeing the look of a little girl who loves her Daddy, and a Dad who makes sure his little girl knows she's special and he loves being with her.

Posted by: gitouttahere | August 1, 2010 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: amapola11 | August 1, 2010 9:02 PM | Report abuse

I did not vote for Obama, but I have no problem with him taking his kids to a basketball game. My only problem is, why is this news????

Posted by: VAtoLA | August 1, 2010 9:17 PM | Report abuse

Check out this post:

Posted by: onebrightmonkey | August 1, 2010 6:06 PM

++++++

You had me going until I read your nom de guerre! I feel the same about Obama! Hilarious!

Posted by: jamespmarion | August 1, 2010 9:19 PM | Report abuse

@askgees -- WHO THE HECK ARE YOU KIDDING, YOU JACKWAGON?????

Posted by: bs2004 | August 1, 2010 8:40 PM | Report abuse

LOL 14 rounds of golf and 4 vacations during the spill. LOL some people are f%^king simple.

Oh and while he's been running around seeing the sights SPENDING OVER 100,000.00 TRANSPORTING HIS DOG to Maine more soldiers died in Afghanistan in July then since the START OF THE CONFLICT. JACKWAGON!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: askgees | August 1, 2010 9:21 PM | Report abuse

I guess I was wrong thinking that the only people who attend women's basketball games are their family and close friends. Seriously, where else would Obama get a standing ovation but at a WNBA game in DC!

Posted by: jamespmarion | August 1, 2010 9:31 PM | Report abuse

poor ole amapola11 and askgees...gotta feel sorry for them....all riled up, flustered and angry at life (anybody complaining about someone doing traditional/genuine parent-child activity). It's even more sad that he believes any article he reads/hears without considering proper context. Poor amapola11 and askgees....what's wrong? Did anyone love you as a kid? Did they take you places? I have bridge that I want to sell you. You do believe me don't you. After all you believe other stupid notions....like this ---READ SLOWLY. PAY ATTENTION TO THE WORD "AND"---> http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5juui7didNwh_vzBmJyrbjxkeF-IgD9H08K580

Posted by: bcs2k | August 1, 2010 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Truthful and transparent everything that Obama IS NOT and keeps spending our money for his own benefit. Shameful!! Is he also teaching the daughter to lie and cheat like he does? and

Posted by: amapola11 | August 2, 2010 2:06 AM | Report abuse

"There is nothing ethic about a father exploiting a kid in this case the company of the younger daughter to get publicity and try to attract popularity through the kid. How come he didn't take the older daughter too and the wife. This man is as a father as I am a shoe shine-boy he he and as sleaze as a snake. He is in campaigning mood. The jobs have not appeared yet and he still hasn't donated the one million dollars he said he would and did not deserve!!!

Posted by: amapola11 | August 1, 2010 9:02 PM"

*******************************************

Your father obviously paid you no attention; otherwise you'd be able to relate to the genuine joy in Sasha's face that she's spending the day with her Dad. When me and my Dad hung out together, it didn't matter if we were going to the corner store to get a loaf of bread. All that mattered to this little girl was that I was with my Daddy.

It's sad you don't know the joy of that.

Posted by: gitouttahere | August 2, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Hello...This is to all who misspoke. His name is Mr. President, President or President Obama, not Mr. Obama or Obama. He deserves the same respect and honor as other Presidents, whether you support him or not.

Posted by: itstime | August 2, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse