Attention, Nationals fans

Is this huge news? Not really, I guess. But I know there are some folks out there that will think this is the case.

The Nationals are considering -- and I stress CONSIDERING -- changing public address announcers at RFK Stadium. They recently held tryouts, and they included the man who has done the job the first two years, Jim Clarke. He could win the job back, but it is, indeed, a competition.

I have heard from many fans who have been frustrated by Clarke, particularly the first year, when substitutions were frequently announced in the middle of an inning, when a pinch hitter was announced with a 1-1 count. He has improved on that count, no doubt. But it's another indication that every aspect of this operation will be scrutinized.

Stay tuned. Could have official word later this week.

By Barry Svrluga  |  February 22, 2007; 9:41 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Uniform day
Next: Thursday Morning Presser

Comments

Great news -- I can't stand his work. I don't expect the Nats to wind up with a Bob Sheppard (there is no other), but I wouldn't mind having a Dan Baker-type at the P.A. (he's done Phillies games since the '70s).

Posted by: Vincent | February 22, 2007 10:06 AM | Report abuse

It's too bad your video guy wasn't there to record your dance of joy when you heard the news.

Posted by: Chris | February 22, 2007 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Finally! I've spent the last 2 seasons wishing that the PA announcer would just be picked from the stands at random...it couldn't have been much worse!

Posted by: Nats446 | February 22, 2007 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nats446 | February 22, 2007 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Now if we can just get a scoreboard operator to post the correct count and relief pitcher stats during the warm-ups, we'll really have something!

Posted by: Section 408 | February 22, 2007 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Section 408 | February 22, 2007 12:32 PM | Report abuse

This shows that there is a BASEBALL man in charge who understands how important it is for the PA announcer to follow the game. Clarke is so bad that you can't keep score at RFK without listening to the game on the radio for substitution and scoring information. Now, if only he would stop the overblown hype for the between innings promotions like he's some over-caffeinated disc jockey...

Posted by: leetee1955 | February 22, 2007 1:45 PM | Report abuse

I second the motion about the scoreboard operator. I'd also like a scoreboard that I can see without binoculars! That might have to wait until '08.

Posted by: j. ward | February 23, 2007 12:36 PM | Report abuse

I care very much about this stuff. Great news to have a new announcer, especially one who stands out above all the rest. All of it, every last bit of this whole business, is very exciting for a fan like me.

Posted by: Rachel | February 23, 2007 1:28 PM | Report abuse