A Shutout? By the Nationals?

Yes, it's true. I know this is a bit late, but the final was Nationals 3, Marlins 0. And that was a Marlins' lineup that featured Cabrera, et al, so not bad.

Chad Cordero works out of bases-loaded jam in the eighth, when it was still 1-0. So let me lay some stats on you, provided by assistant to the assistant to the P.R. guy, Mark Rogoff of the Nats:

Last four games, Washington pitching staff has a 1.25 ERA.

Last seven games, Washington pitching staff has a 2.11 ERA.

During that stretch, the mighty Nationals have gone 3-3-1. As someone we know has said before, "Pitching, pitching, pitching." Oh, and, "Pitching."

Acta stopped just short -- and I mean, JUST SHORT -- of throwing Chico into the rotation to start the season. Translation: He's in there, but the manager doesn't want too talk to much about it until the last week of spring training, which is, of course, next week.

Tomorrow: A night game against the Bravos. (MASN, I believe, as I said before.) I likely won't blog early and often tomorrow, what with the late game and nothing to update (unless you want to know whether I get Sumatra or Breakfast Blend).

Thanks for stopping by. And keep me posted with anyone's thoughts about today's version of "Washington Post Live." I'm interested.

By Barry Svrluga  |  March 20, 2007; 5:46 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Bowden on Astacio
Next: Your turn

Comments

Many thanks for the updates! Feel free to update us on the wireless hot spots that serve food, even if there are no roster developments.... Darned night games resulting in less news during the day.... Fewer excuses to take a break.

Posted by: BLOG withdrawal | March 20, 2007 6:02 PM | Report abuse

With Chico, I would have four of five in the "Pick the Rotation" contest... but since I forgot to sign my name (and Traber was number 5) I will get no recognition.

I will point out that I was probably closer than Jim Bowden.

Regarding the updates, you've no idea how much I enjoy them... and I would get home delivery of the paper, if only it were available...

Posted by: Wigi | March 20, 2007 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Wonderful blog!! Really look forward to every post. And I've been subscribing to the Post for 26 years. Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to watch the WPL tonight because there's a Nationals Classics game (July 6, 2006 vs. Markins) on MASN.

Posted by: Dog Frenzy | March 20, 2007 7:16 PM | Report abuse

WPL was good again tonight. Real nice extended interview with Brian Schneider. Maske did a great job with interesting questions. "Is there truth in Bull Durham", "who is the hardest base runner to throw out" - some good conversation. No tough questions, tons of softballs, but still better NATS coverage than we've seen from anyone not named Barry.

Posted by: GoNats | March 20, 2007 7:26 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, the blog is great, keep it coming. You should try Roobois in the morning.

Posted by: JHM | March 20, 2007 7:52 PM | Report abuse

WPL was good. I liked Schneider's green Nike sweatshirt. Also, why didn't Steinberg wear a tie? Is that a blogger thing?

Posted by: thenationalsenquier.com | March 20, 2007 9:24 PM | Report abuse

The blog is great. It's like we're all in a secret club coming to this site everyday. Let's all give a sign or something at the game opening day and see how many actually read this.....

Posted by: rgib | March 20, 2007 10:35 PM | Report abuse

I love this blog. We moved out of DC to Lawrence last fall and it is so nice to be able to follow our Nats so closely from afar. When the Nats are in St.Louis for a series this summer we'll make the trip down and will be wearing curley Ws on our hats cheering the Nats on. Barry - thanks for making DC seem not so far away.

Posted by: Joe (Lawrence KS) | March 20, 2007 11:16 PM | Report abuse

Chico definately makes the rotation. Not only do we need a lefty but if you plan on bringing him up sometime later in the season why not do it in the beginning. That way you give the kid the confidence of making the team out of camp...

I still think Hanrahan is the fifth man. Not is he younger and has all his options but he has actually looked good his last three times out, including the minor league game. The Met game was much better than the box score shows, bloop hit by Wright, misplayed ball by Zim and who knows what 2b was thinking on that liner...

Posted by: natrat | March 20, 2007 11:25 PM | Report abuse

So I guess I don't need to keep needling Barry to find a way to keep running the blog inseason anymore. For the torch has been pased to a new generation of commenters, for a team sort of born this century, tempered by the devasting collapse of 2005, disciplined by the slow aching belowaverageness of 2006, proud of . . . . their third baseman?

Posted by: Sam | March 20, 2007 11:30 PM | Report abuse

Pretentious joke less funny with the grievous typo. Although devasting seems look it should be a word. How about: "Dmitri Young has been hitting OK, but he could sure use some devasting."

Posted by: Sam | March 20, 2007 11:34 PM | Report abuse

Nice to see the Nats' pitching come around, giving us a little hope for a competitive season. And after both Terp basketball teams were bounced in the second round of the NCAA tournament, I need something to be hopeful about.

Posted by: Vincent | March 20, 2007 11:56 PM | Report abuse

Ah yes, spring training e.r.a. stats. Is it just a mirage...or...might there be gold in them there arms? Time will tell. The bell tolls 4/2.

Posted by: Natsfan from SC | March 21, 2007 12:53 AM | Report abuse

Great job with the blog. I can't wait for the season to start. This morning on Mike and Mike, Buster Olney reported that many scouts think the Nats may end up being the worst team in MLB history. Maybe I'm looking at things through the wishful eyes of a fan, but I don't think they'll be that bad. The everyday lineup is a little short on power but otherwise solid, the bullpen is good and the rotation, even if it is shaky as expected, can't be as bad as last year's....or can it? I think we're likely looking at 90-95 losses, but I don't see a disaster of epic proportions. Is anyone with me?

Posted by: Hondo Lives | March 21, 2007 7:52 AM | Report abuse

Worst team in MLB history??? That hurts my feelings.

Posted by: rgib | March 21, 2007 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Worst team in history? No way. Despite the free agents they've lost and questions about the starting rotation, I feel better about this team than I did about the team around this time last year.

Posted by: Ron | March 21, 2007 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Mr. Lives, those are probably the same scouts who said the Marlins would lose 100 games last year, minimum. Ignore them.

Posted by: cevans | March 21, 2007 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Barry, any news on Nick Johnson? Is his ETA still "sometime after the break"?

Posted by: Willie Gandabol | March 21, 2007 9:26 AM | Report abuse

err, the All-Star break, of course. Bad choice of words. Sorry, Two-four.

Posted by: Willie Gandabol | March 21, 2007 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Worst team in history? Bullhockey! Give me this rotation over last years! Livan was awful up until July. Patterson was out. Armas was never any good. At the end of last year, Frank was starting the bullpen and playing them for 3 inning stretches. We're going to be fine and I don't think we will end up a Loverro 58-104 either. I'm not talking playoffs here, but I think this team can win 70 games.

Posted by: Reddy Kilowatt | March 21, 2007 10:38 AM | Report abuse

misschatter just uploaded photos from her trip to Florida today. Here is the Snelling collision at the plate. Doesn't look too bad as it is his good leg. It was taken from behind the home plate screen but still good.

Posted by: Eric | March 23, 2007 9:58 PM | Report abuse