A trade!

So the moves are coming hot and heavy now.

Gotcha.

Yes, there has been a trade: the Nationals acquired INF Wade Robinson from Houston in return for C Danny Ardoin.

I'll give you a moment to catch your breaths.

Robinson is a 26-year-old who played at three levels in the Houston chain last year. He's a .269 career hitter in four minor league seasons. Not sure of the thinking behind the move yet, though it does make sense to get something for Ardoin (whose name is pronounced as if he was a winger for the Quebec Nordiques), then they should do it. (This, of course, could be the last time we discuss this.)

Other nuts-and-bolts issues:

*Tim Redding, Michael Restovich, Jermaine Van Buren and Bernie Castro all have accepted their assignments to Class AAA Columbus, as expected. Gives some depth there.

* The club also purchased INF Matt Rogelstad from Seattle. Trying to find out if that means he's on the 40-man. He's a .280 hitter in four minor league seasons. Hit .260 at high Class A last year, .185 in 23-game stint at Class AA. (Update already from Nats PR guru John Dever: Rogelstad will not be on the 40-man roster.)

Detroit lineup:
Ivan Rodriguez -- 2
Placido Polanco -- 4
Gary Sheffield -- DH
Magglio Ordonez -- 9
Craig Monroe -- 7
Marcus Thames -- 3
Brandon Inge -- 5
Neifi Perez -- 6
Omar Infante -- 8

Mike Maroth -- 1

Other "news," as it were: Bernadina prefers to go by "Roger," and Acta says he'll play all nine innings today. Booker may or may not throw an inning today, but Acta says his six-day absence to attend the funeral of his mother-in-law (who died of cancer) won't affect his standing, which is still to be determined. Schneider is catching Patterson's side session today, so they'll get to work together, and Schneider is scheduled to play five innings tomorrow night against the Mets.

Other than that, a pleasant day in Lakeland. I'll try to get you an update or two during the game.

Oh, and one late update: Felipe Lopez scratched from the lineup with a stiff neck. Ronnie Belliard replaces him straight up.

By Barry Svrluga  |  March 26, 2007; 11:50 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Bits and pieces
Next: Apologies, and Some Updates

Comments

I wonder if the trade and purchase of the two infielders means the Nats are going to be trading Josh Wilson? You mentioned previously that there was talk about other teams expressing interest in him.

Posted by: Kevin | March 26, 2007 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Although I'm not as commited a fan of this player as some are in DC, do you get the feeling that time has run out on Ryan Church and maybe Bowden is shopping him and one of the viable relievers for a decent starter and another outfield bat?

Posted by: 41 Games | March 26, 2007 12:28 PM | Report abuse

A quick look at the two guys and my initial take is the Nationals were looking to fill utility infielder spots in Columbus and/or Harrisburg.

Posted by: Brian | March 26, 2007 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Why don't the Nationals just take a longer look at Darnell McDonald or Michael Restovich, both whom have MLB experience?

Posted by: outfielder | March 26, 2007 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Barry, All;
I received an email from the NATS on Saturday that my season tickets would be FedExed and would arive today. They did, this morning.

Posted by: Chris | March 26, 2007 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Tickets arrived today. But while you're talking with Kasten, ask him why the tickets were shipped from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan.

Posted by: Adam | March 26, 2007 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Consistent with the brilliant marketing decisions made thus far, today's game is apparently not being broadcast by either the Nats or Tigers. Looks like the only info we'll be getting on this game will be coming from you Barry, so bring on the updates please.

Posted by: Kevin | March 26, 2007 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Got my tickets today.

Posted by: rgib | March 26, 2007 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Barry! What happened in the 5th???

Posted by: rgib | March 26, 2007 2:35 PM | Report abuse

GUZMAN!!!

Posted by: armory-gallery | March 26, 2007 2:44 PM | Report abuse

A bit OT for the Nats Journal, but check out the article on the main website about Mark Lerner being optimistic that parking will be fixed at the new stadium. While he says he's optimistic, he admits that they still need as many spaces "as we can get our hands on."

Next season's transportation disaster has been obvious since they announced the stadium site plans. Why aren't people more up in arms about this?

Posted by: hope plus 25 cents... | March 26, 2007 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Didn't get my F*(& tickets today:

Mar 26, 2007 2:57 PM

Package received after FedEx cutoff

3:29 PM

Left origin

SASKATOON, SK

Mar 22, 2007 8:58 AM

Package data transmitted to FedEx

Supposedly FEDEX is not delivering my tickets cause they had too many deliveries to do today. This has been fumbled by everyone. Kastan better have a very good excuse to why us full season ticket holders are getting crapped on. 3 years in a row now this has happened. The first year I didn't even get my tickets on time!

Posted by: Paul | March 26, 2007 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Transportation Problems = One word: METRO

Posted by: Greg | March 26, 2007 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Metro vs Parking - just trading one transportation for another. To get back to Huntington requires a change to the Yellow line at L'Enfant (which is a 30 minute wait), or riding the Blue line 8 extra stops, and then switching at King St. and then waiting.

No matter, I still don't have my tickets. FEDEX says thay they are in Memphis. My ticket rep. insists that I am getting them today. FEDX is more believable at this point.

Posted by: MW, Alex., VA | March 26, 2007 4:21 PM | Report abuse

jeez, I'd almost rather go to baltimore. I thought things were supposed to get better with a real owner?

Posted by: no tickets | March 26, 2007 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Balmer? I can take the train to Philly in less than 2 hours for under $50.

Posted by: cevans | March 26, 2007 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Oh yes, Metro. The savior mode of transit for baseball. The problem is, the new ballpark is on the Green Line. I'd hazard a guess that 90% (or more) of paying Nats fans live on either the Red, Blue, Orange or Yellow lines, with the bulk of those on Orange and Blue. This means that 1) after night games you can take the mob scene at the RFK stadium station and at least double it, as you only have one line of trains to do the job formerly done by two lines in two directions, and you'll have most passengers heading north, rather than south. It also means 2) you can repeat this mob scene at L'Enfant Plaza and Gallery Place, where people will kill each other crushing to catch their next train.

While Metro is generally good about putting extra trains on the line for the stadium itself, they are generally terrible about also queueing up trains on transfer lines.

So yes, I agree Metro is the solution to our parking problems. Wish I'd thought of that.

Posted by: hope plus 25 cents... | March 26, 2007 5:46 PM | Report abuse

I live near the Franconia/Springfield metro. I can drive to RFK in about a half hour. To get to the new ballpark I suppose I'll have to take Metro (as there will be no parking), which means I'll have to take the Blue line to the Yellow line to the Green line. 2 Transfers!! It might take me an hour and half to get home! I hope Metro considers running special Blue line trains directly from L'enfant Plaza to Franconia/Springfield along the Yellow line route before and after games. If they don't do this, I might have to stop going to the games, which would be a shame for me and for the Nats.

Posted by: Ed | March 26, 2007 6:05 PM | Report abuse

2 Transfers???? GASP! You deserve so much better than that. I hope Kasten's reading this because it's time he put the revamping of the entire metro system higher on his priorities.

I got my tickets and I can't believe there's a F***ing typo on the letter. Can't they do anything right???

Barry needs to hurry up and post another entry. This constant negative grousing is getting a little tired.

Posted by: rgib | March 26, 2007 6:14 PM | Report abuse

You would prefer positive grousing?

Posted by: Henny Youngman | March 26, 2007 7:20 PM | Report abuse

It's about 11 months too early to get worked up over parking. By the time the ballpark is ready, there will be places to park, whether they pave over vacant lots, get agreements with existing buildings to use their garages after hours, etc. Will it be enough? Who knows at this point? It's not worth worrying about until they tell us specifically what will be available.

Posted by: Cosmo | March 26, 2007 7:44 PM | Report abuse

I have a 20 game plan. Never got an email with a tracking number but got the tickets today. (BTW, my email and contact information registered with the Nats is up to date and current, and the email was not in my junk folder -- it was just never sent). Just background info for the rest of you in case it helps. Oh, and yes I am still irritated by the Nats failures. Getting them this week is not ok. No sign of the free MP3 player for paying all up front in December. Also no interest payments for financing the Nats acquisitions of Colby Lewis and Travis Lee this spring.

Posted by: Dog Frenzy | March 26, 2007 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Alas, my tickets are sitting in Memphis...

Posted by: DE | March 26, 2007 9:28 PM | Report abuse