About that offense

So the reserves have come in and basically broken the game open with a five-run eighth inning that's still ongoing and in which they batted around against the beleaguered Dodgers bullpen. Singles in this inning from Guzman (25 doubles), Casto, Fick (in as the catcher) and Belliard, the latter for two runs apiece, and four walks by Dodgers' pitchers.

But now, stop the presses (or however you stop the publishing systems that put up blogs): Nook Logan just drove in a run. With a hard single. Up the middle. Left-handed!

Nationals 9, Dodgers 1. Barring a complete collapse by the bullpen, I'm going to say this is my last post of the afternoon.

But I'll leave you with this: The team held Kangaroo Court today, and it took nearly two hours. Robert Fick was the judge, Brian Schneider the court clerk. I'll try to get an idea of who received the biggest fines and what they were for after the game, and I'll put a couple in the actual, ink-and-paper newspaper (only $.35). Also, you might be able to pick up the actual, ink-and-paper newspaper (only $.35) tomorrow for some news on John Patterson. In the Style section. I'll keep you guessing.

(They just started playing "YMCA" as we head to the top of the ninth, and some guy in a Jamey Carroll Nats jersey (No. 2) was standing and clapping. Scenes from HSCS.)

(Oh, and now that's a final: Nationals 9, Dodgers 1. Kool & The Gang on the PA system. Talk to you tomorrow.)

By Barry Svrluga  |  March 19, 2007; 3:36 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Top o' the Hill
Next: Does Snelling prefer "Wallaby Court"???

Comments

Thanks Barry, that was great today. Makes my workday just seem to fly by as I kept using the old "here comes the boss button" to follow the game.

Team looks like its starting to come around. I know, I know its only an exhibition win but 5 weeks ago it looked like it was going to be a starting rotation of Manny, Moe, Jack and Mac but now its as good as it could get, w/JPAT, JHILL, SIMONSAYS, MCHICO and JWILLS. Thanks for the good work and keep it up.

Posted by: 41 Games | March 19, 2007 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Glad to hear the bats are starting to come to live and that we've found a couple cubic zirconiums (maybe not diamonds) in the rough on this pitching staff. I still think this team is going to be better than people seem to think, but there's no pennant race this year, that's for sure.
Now, to the matter at hand. I haven't heckled you in a while, but your time down there is growing short. What's the word on Bizarro's?

Posted by: RFK Sec 309, Row 3 | March 19, 2007 4:02 PM | Report abuse

My guess on the Style article is that Patterson got engaged to his Miss DC girlfriend. If so, congrats to both.

Posted by: Kevin | March 19, 2007 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Am I the only one who is beginning to think this team will be closer to the 2K5 version than the 2K6 one?

Posted by: servicedept | March 19, 2007 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Good to have you back Barry. It's just like being there - sans the fortune cookie.

Posted by: cmcurtis | March 19, 2007 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Hi Barry...many thanks for signing my book today as I am now back in SC catching up on your blogs. I was sitting behind the Dodgers dugout for the game, taking in the catcalls of dodger fans for the first 3 innings. Funny how silent they got and how they started getting on Kent & Nomar. They were pretty ugly comments, but, oh well, what can you expect from them. Keep up the good writing and look forward to NP2.

Posted by: Jim Taylor | March 19, 2007 11:09 PM | Report abuse