Cox on ...
Bobby Cox is an interesting guy to sit and talk baseball with. He has, in my estimation, seen a large number of games. Among the pearls gleaned today:
* "Wild Hogs" is a very funny movie, though not a great movie. But you will laugh.
* If the Braves and Nationals get into a run-down, their uniforms are so similar that they might not know who to throw to and who to tag.
* Yes, as Stan Kasten says, the Braves really were built from the minors first and by spending no money on payroll in the early years.
* The Braves have an interesting battle at second base, with Kelly Johnson coming back from injury, Pete Orr not looking like much but really being a very good player and Martin Prado as talented as any of them.
* Talked to John Schuerholz for a while yesterday. He said the Braves' run ended last year because the bullpen didn't perform as they would have hoped (and, really, it was similarly bad in 2005, when the Nationals smacked it around quite a bit). So with the additions of Mike Gonzalez (hard-throwing lefty), Rafael (No Relation) Soriano and Bob Wickman (who came over late last year), he feels like the team is ready to contend again. We'll see.
Kelly Johnson -- 2B
Edgar Renteria -- SS
Willie Harris -- LF
Jeff Francoeur -- RF
Scott Thorman -- 2B
Yunel Escobar -- 3B
Ryan Langerhans -- CF
Corky Miller -- C
Kyle Davies -- P
Nationals' pitchers took BP for the first time today. "No blisters," John Patterson reported happily afterward. Patterson hit .250 last year (2 for 8). I'd take the under on that this season.
Patterson, a noted animal expert and hunter who had a very scary looking bow in the clubhouse a couple of weeks ago (actually, it was two bows, and he explained the differences to me, but I had no idea what he was talking about and was actually frightened just to be near them so I think I just nodded a lot as I back-pedalled), said that picking up a raccoon by the scruff of the neck is a (technical term upcoming) "bad idea."
"You don't corner an opossum," he said. "You don't corner a raccoon."
Ballgame upcoming. It's a nice day here in Viera, despite the fact that they just recently played "Who Let the Dogs Out?" on the PA. Seriously.
Posted by: rfk section 355 | March 6, 2007 12:43 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: .390 | March 6, 2007 2:29 PM | Report abuse
The comments to this entry are closed.