Does Snelling prefer "Wallaby Court"???

So I promised yesterday to write at least a little about Kangaroo Court, the mock trial the Nationals undertook for about two hours behind closed doors before yesterday's win over the Los Angeles Dodgers. I promised, and then I completely forgot.

(I did, however, deliver on the news of John Patterson's engagement to former Miss D.C. Shannon Schambeau. He popped the question last Thursday. Seemed very happy about it. Read a very little more about that in the Reliable Source. (And if Steinberg had ever taught me those nifty link tricks, I would provide a link to the Reliable Source (which appears in the print edition of the Washington Post (only $.35)) without much trouble, but he never did, and therefore I also cannot link to Ms. Schambeau/Mrs. Patterson's personal Web page either so you'll have to find both of them on your own.)

Robert Fick, predictably, had a prominent role in Kangaroo Court, in which offenders are fined for such transgressions as fraternizing with the opposition, being late, cranking inappropriate music and God knows what else. But Fick was reluctant to talk on-the-record about specifics. He clearly, though, couldn't believe that many longtime Nats -- such as first-time court clerk Brian Schneider -- had never been involved in a Kangaroo Court. I was standing outside the clubhouse during the tail end of it (not eavesdropping, really, I wasn't, I had to talk to someone in there and I needed to wait it out) and there was much laughing going on inside. The coaching staff wasn't in on it, though I had been told that Manny Acta was going to be a prime target for fines because of his chummy relationship with several New York Mets. Acta confirmed that he expected to be a target, but he was in his office while court was going on (and as I walked past to head upstairs, he yelled, "Let's go win a ballgame!" and clapped his hands once, as if this was maybe August and a pennant race and not March and the Grapefruit League).

Anyway, Schneider emerged from the meeting with a long list of fines and said he had fun. Acta said that most good clubhouses -- and when he was with teh Mets the last two years, they had good clubhouses, no question -- do that sort of things. "It keeps guys loose and let's them know when they're out of line," Fick said.

(And, of course, the day couldn't pass without some references to one of the most famous Kangaroo Courts of all-time, the one in the Baltimore Orioles clubhouse in the early 1970s in which one Frank Robinson served as the judge, complete with a mop upon his head for some gray hair. There's a pretty hysterical photo of that somewhere.)

Anyway, we're here in Jupiter today. Nationals v. Marlins. Don't have lineups yet. I know Kearns and Zimmerman were not on the travel roster, nor was Schneider, who was supposed to rest his tweaked hammy. I believe the team bus just rolled in. Tarp is being removed from the field, but there were some major league downpours on I-95 headed south. We'll see if we can get this one in.

Oh, one more thing: Did anyone watch "Washington Post Live" on Comcast SportsNet last night? It's from 5-6:30 p.m. (yes, again, that's right, 90 minutes of Mike Wise, which is roughly 89 minutes too much). I'd be curious as to what anyone thought. It should be a great venue for local sports discussion, and Zimmerman was one of the guests last night. We sports writers, however, are no TV stars, so I can imagine it being ... well, awkward, too. Thoughts?

More later.

By Barry Svrluga  |  March 20, 2007; 9:49 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: About that offense
Next: Your lineups, etc.

Comments

Caught some of the Post sports show. Steinberg is kind of nerdy on camera (no shock), while Wise dresses like Rob Dibble. Show has potential, though.

Posted by: matt b | March 20, 2007 10:09 AM | Report abuse

They only showed it 3 times last night, how could you miss it?? :D Nice of Steinberg to shave for his broadcast debut. At least Boz kept him and Wise in check. When's you first appearance Barry?

Posted by: BoysOfSummer | March 20, 2007 10:11 AM | Report abuse

So did Zim get you a shirt? I think you are going to go on camera when they interview the Nats for self protection.

Posted by: Tom | March 20, 2007 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Wise made fun of you multiple times and said Zimmerman should take your shopping or something. Show had some awkward moments but should be good to tivo. Zimmerman's interview finally showed he has a personality.

Posted by: WaPo show | March 20, 2007 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Awkward is an apt word for it. They need to work on not talking over one another.

Mike Wise looked like Huggy Bear in that shirt yesterday.

Posted by: Brian | March 20, 2007 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Frank Robinson, Kangaroo Court | March 20, 2007 10:21 AM | Report abuse

The WP Live show was all right, actually. It has some rough edges but it has definite potential (and it gives me something to watch before and after PTI comes on). They probably shouldn't have Wise and Steinberg on at the same time, though. That's a bit too much on the pasty, poorly dressed, peanut-head front.

Posted by: Kevin | March 20, 2007 10:34 AM | Report abuse

try it, you'll like it. as gore vidal said, "never pass up an opportunity to have sex or go on television."

Posted by: Anonymous | March 20, 2007 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Caught part of the WP show. It was fun to watch the first episode and see the rough edges. Zimmerman handled it well and showed maturity and diplomacy.

Posted by: I hate walks | March 20, 2007 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Interesting to say the least for the first time out. Certainly hope its more baseball centric as they go through the season (wouldn't that be an idea). Suspect over time it will become just another Redskins 24X7X365 outlet, especially if the Nats are as bad as you say they are going to be and the Wizards tank after round 1 of the NBA playoffs. Hopefully that won't happen and it will be "fair and balanced", but I'm not keeping my fingers crosssed for that. Good Luck either way!

Posted by: 41 Games | March 20, 2007 11:06 AM | Report abuse

I just hope she doesn,t change that name.

Posted by: Willie Gandabol | March 20, 2007 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Not a bad show for the first time out. I was puzzled to see Jason Campbell as a guest. The Redskins are not currently playing, while the Caps, Nats, Bullets, and United are. I hope this doesn't turn into a breathless Redskin Sidelines show, featuring Warner Wolff.

Posted by: Jhoon Rhee | March 20, 2007 12:53 PM | Report abuse

I liked the show.

However, 90 minutes is a long time for a TV show. Not hard to fill the time when its in the middle of the NCAA tourney, the Nats are about to break camp, and the Wizards and Caps are in season. Will be interesting to see how the show goes in July when the Nats are the only game in town, and they are 20 games under .500.

Posted by: Dilson | March 20, 2007 1:14 PM | Report abuse

When you asked about the Kangaroo Court, Fick should have pulled a Tony Snow and said, "the nationals are not going to talk about an ongoing case." Then you could have done your best David Gregory and said, "but these cases, the cases are completed, so now can you talk?" and then Fick could say, "I will not talk about these cases becuase they are ongoing."

Posted by: jon | March 20, 2007 2:05 PM | Report abuse

"Will be interesting to see how the show goes in July..."

Are you kidding? By July, if not sooner, the show will probably spend 89 minutes on the Redskins. (Note post above about Jason Campbell appearing already.)

Posted by: Cosmo | March 20, 2007 3:58 PM | Report abuse

We have Scheider on WPL today for those who are interested ... probably around 6:00 pm ...

Posted by: littles | March 20, 2007 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Wow. littles would probably have better credibility with this crowd if it said "Schneider," the catcher's actual name.

Posted by: Barry Svrluga | March 20, 2007 4:59 PM | Report abuse