It's spring training for ... MASN

So I just got an email from a friend watching the game tonight who was watching the game at home. He was enjoying the MASN broadcast, and they went to an interview with the team's third baseman ... Brian Zimmerman.

Now, I know it's spring training, and we all make mistakes. But this is the guy we should know, right? I mean, if there's one guy on the team ...

They'll be in fine form by the opener, I'm sure. Already hearing good things about Don Sutton as the color analyst. Even Bob Carpenter, who loved working with Tom Paciorek last season, said that because there are so many interesting storylines with the pitchers that it might be good to work alongside a pitcher this season. They had the game on in the clubhouse when I was just down there (we're allowed into the clubhouse in the spring after the starting pitcher comes out), and Jason Bergmann was pitching, and after he had cruised through two innings he got in trouble in the third, and Sutton pointed out that Bergmann's fastball was now belt-high, rather than having the sinking action from the previous two innings. Good stuff.

Here's Tim Redding on his outing: "Unfortunately, the first inning was obviously a very big disaster." Well-put. He seems to have a clear idea of the nature of this competition, and he knows other people have pitched better than he has. Simontacchi's injury, though, may give him one more chance. We'll see.

Going to the ninth, it's Braves 5, Nationals 3. And yes, that is it for the night. I'll get you news about the cuts in the actual ink-and-paper newspaper (just $.35).

By Barry Svrluga  |  March 21, 2007; 9:24 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Simontacchi, Redding ... and Wally Pipp?
Next: In search of 25 good men

Comments

I think what was almost more telling was about 2 innings of referring to Redding as "Snelling" continually...

Posted by: William | March 21, 2007 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Yep, he referred to Redding two or three times as Snelling - cracked me up!

Posted by: misschatter | March 21, 2007 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Oh and once called Redding Redman.

Posted by: misschatter | March 21, 2007 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Without giving away the ending, I was at the game and it will be well worth the $.35 tomorrow!

Posted by: I hate walks | March 21, 2007 11:42 PM | Report abuse

Hey Barry, do me a favor. If you happen to see Stan Kasten or one of the Lerners sometime this week, can you ask him why the glitch in getting season ticket holders their tickets this year? I thought because we had owners this stuff wasn't supposed to happen. Also, ask him why the promotional schedule isn't up yet with less than two weeks to go until Opening Day. Thanks.

Posted by: Natsfan1 | March 22, 2007 12:19 AM | Report abuse

Brian Schneider wasn't in the game last night, so I couldn't tell whether Sutton had gotten over his habit of calling our unofficial team captain and #1 catcher "Snyder." But I hope he has.

Debbie Taylor grated on my nerves a bit, but late in the game I realized she really was asking intelligent questions in her interviews. Then she tried interviewing Chris Snelling after the game and he gave her NOTHING. She hung in there quite well in an impossible moment, I thought.

Posted by: Dave | March 22, 2007 5:20 AM | Report abuse

I wonder if anyone out there knows when and if MASN will broadcast ballgames in Hi DEF? There is nothing like a baseball game in HD - Specifically when the BoSox Tim Wakefield is throwing that nasty Knuckleball. MASN HD for both O's and Nat's fans IS A MUST.

Posted by: 6th and D | March 22, 2007 8:02 AM | Report abuse

MASN is saying that they will be broadcasting in HD next season, but they were saying the same thing about this season last year. And if they're going to keep the fans of both teams happy, convincing the cable providers to carry TWO HD feeds every night is not going to be an easy feat.

Posted by: Ron | March 22, 2007 8:16 AM | Report abuse

Yeah NatsFan1 - I'm with you. I haven't heard anything re: my season tickets and I'm getting a bit anxious. The customer service in the ticket office isn't any better - I'd dare to say it's even worse.

Barry - do you know whether Kasten or the Lerners have a direct line e-mail like Ted Leonsis?

Posted by: DE | March 22, 2007 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Season tix folks: I'm sure Barry'll do what he can. But I'd email Screech's Best Friend at Nats320. The front office has all but dubbed him the #1 fan and when he blogs about fan issues, they listen. It's as direct a line to Kasten as I've found.

Posted by: Mick | March 22, 2007 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Hey Barry,

Redding must be in lala land, because he was getting smoked after the 1st inning, it's just that the balls were scorched right at people. There was one close-up of Andrew Jones actually laughing a one of Redding's curveballs.

You know how Wilbon interviews opponents to get their take on the Skins or Wizards' players...maybe it would add some insight if you ask Nats opponents what they think about our "pitchers" after they face them. Because, honestly, I don't trust any of the propaganda that comes from Bowden, Kasten, or (obviously) player's self-assessments.

Posted by: DC Champ | March 22, 2007 9:54 AM | Report abuse

I've been told the Nats will send tickets to season ticket holders by Monday, 3/26. Late isn't the word I'd use to describe this in yet another ticketing problem for the Nats. Fiasco is more like it. When? When is this franchise going to start behaving and acting like a Major League franchise? The Lerner's are not doing themselves any favors with this third year season ticket holder.

Posted by: Sec. 311 | March 22, 2007 3:53 PM | Report abuse