My fortune=Nationals fortune?

All right, here's the big secret of spring: Asian Too has kind of replaced Panera as my go-to lunch place (and I've just recently made a pledge to skip out on the in-house Manatee Room for the remainder of the spring, as I don't want to leave here looking like a manatee). So kind of keep that to yourself, as I don't want to upset Panera People.

So when you go to Asian Too, you get, of course, a fortune cookie. And Stan Kasten should pay attention to my fortune today:

"Failure is the mother of success." (Lucky numbers 12, 19, 30, 44, 46)

So either that means I'm going to completely botch this season as a beat writer (always a possibility) and then thrive as, say, a food critic (Panera: Slipping?), or it means that maybe the whole we're-might-be-awful-now-but-just-wait-a-few-years-when-these-draft-picks-we're-talking-about-and-the-trades-we-haven't-made-yet-pan-out philosophy Kasten et al are espousing might work. Or, perhaps, there's no relation between my fortune in the cookie and the Nationals' overall fortune, though that is doubtful.

Actual news: Five guys released today. Colby Lewis, Jorge Toca, Luis Martinez, Jose Macias and Wayne Lydon. No shockers there. It's looking more and more like Josh Wilson is going to be the backup shortstop/utlitiy guy.

Another thought: Didn't it get late fast? When I left here last Wednesday night, Manager Manny Acta was still saying things like "it's early" and "we've only seen him for a few games," etc. All true. But spring training has a way of turning the corner and turning the corner in a hurry. Hard to pinpoint the exact moment, but it definitely happened over the weekend. The clubhouse is different now, with lots of vacant lockers, etc. No Larry Broadway. Dmitri Young there. There is now a crunch to determine the final spot in the rotation, the final bullpen spot(s), the first baseman, maybe even the left fielder. The phrases have almost instantly turned to "we don't have much time left," etc.

Opening Day is two weeks from today. Then, we'll have actual things to write about that actually, really matter. To somebody. I hope.

By Barry Svrluga  |  March 19, 2007; 11:55 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Any readers left?
Next: Through two

Comments

Barry - went to Panera today after eyeing Asian Too and must say I was disappointed. Your instincts are still good. Why is Brito playing today? And what happened to iFruto!?

Posted by: Live From HSCS | March 19, 2007 12:23 PM | Report abuse

I think you meant me as the UTIL guy

Posted by: Josh Wilson | March 19, 2007 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Barry - if your fortune cookie has any bearing on the Nats, could it be foretelling the roster? 'Cause if so, it would include Church (#19, as starting left fielder), Escobar (44), Wilson (12) and Booker (30). So who the heck is # 46?

Posted by: Kilgore | March 19, 2007 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Yes, UTIL, that's correct. I don't edit these things. I just write them. (Which is to say, no one edits them. (And yes, I know that's scary.))

Posted by: Barry Svrluga | March 19, 2007 12:51 PM | Report abuse

When are the next round of cuts?

Posted by: Brian | March 19, 2007 12:56 PM | Report abuse

and you also mean Josh WILSON, not Josh Lewis.......right?

Posted by: John IV | March 19, 2007 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Barry, there are some reports out on the web that Nick Johnson won't be playing this year. What are you hearing?

Posted by: Nats Fan | March 19, 2007 12:56 PM | Report abuse

You mention Colby Lewis, Jorge Toca, Luis Martinez, Jose Macias and Wayne Lydon released.

Lewis and Macias were released on Friday, so does that mean only 3 new cuts today?

Posted by: Cuts | March 19, 2007 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Oops. Yes. My bad. I just corrected that. Had Colby Lewis on the brain. Should say "Josh Wilson" now.

Posted by: Barry Svrluga | March 19, 2007 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Cuts - I believe Lewis and Macias were reassigned to minor league camp on Friday. Today, they, along with the other three, were actually released.

Posted by: Captain Pedantic | March 19, 2007 1:19 PM | Report abuse

OK - if Josh Lewis is the utility IF guy and we keep 12 pitchers (which we'll most definitely need!)...who gets the last spot on the 25-man roster? Belliard? Casto? Castro? Escobar? Nunez? Restovich?

13. C - Schneider
14. C - Flores
15. 1B - Young
16. 1B - Lee
17. 2B - Lopez
18. 3B - Zimmerman
19. SS - Guzman
20. OF - Church
21. OF - Logan
22. OF - Kearns
23. OF - Snelling
24. IF - Wilson
25. ???

Posted by: DE | March 19, 2007 2:36 PM | Report abuse

WHAT ABOUT ME! Ive already been guarenteed a spot on the roster. Travis Lee aint got *&%@ on me!

Posted by: Robert Fick | March 19, 2007 6:39 PM | Report abuse

Oh yeah - I totally forgot about you RF. You're definitely worth more to us than Travis Lee!

So Barry, what's going to happen? And then what will happen when Nicky J. comes back? Sure, Shawn Hill has been solid this spring as has Simontacchi, but there's no way we can go with only 11 pitchers, is there?

Posted by: DE | March 19, 2007 8:30 PM | Report abuse