The fallout

So here's the fallout from this morning's moves, as best I can tell.

Dmitri Young is the first baseman. Could've seen this one coming. Young, though, was suprised by Travis Lee's request. Apparently, Lee told GM Jim Bowden that he no longer had the fire to play, that he came to camp trying to rekindle it, and that he wanted to retire. The club granted him his unconditional release, meaning that if another first baseman in another camp was injured, and someone came up with, say, one million reasons for Lee to get the fire back, he could.

Young was asked if he expected to be the starting first baseman here when he signed a minor league deal last month. "Oh, yeah," he said. "That was my goal. I was at the bottom of the mountain, the bottom of Mount Everest. I had to climb my way up, one day at a time, knowing that I had to work. I had to work. It wasn't going to be given to me by any stretch."

Young is hitting .333 with a homer and three RBI since he came over.

Bowden was not willing to commit to putting Logan and Simontacchi on the DL, but Manager Manny Acta indicated that both would likely end up there. He said Logan would be out "at least two weeks," and you can still back-date DL moves into spring training, so even if he's going to be ready a week into the season -- which is optimistic -- it might make sense to stick him on the DL.

Acta also said that not only is Kory Casto almost certainly on the team, but that it's time to see what he can do. Translation: Church goes to center, with Casto to left and Snelling on the bench.

Simontacchi: Acta said, "He's not going to be ready." Bowden pointed out that because Simontacchi is not on the 40-man roster, they can send him to Columbus for as long as they want for rehab, and he could be added when he's ready, whether that's the fifth game of the season or the 10th or the 15th. For now, it looks like Jason Bergmann would slide into that fifth starter's role -- Acta said it was "safe to say" Jerome Williams is the fourth guy -- and Levale Speigner could also help out there.

Is that enough for one day? What else could happen?

Oh, we're in the bottom of the second in the game, and Chico put down the first five guys he faced, including strikeouts of Chipper Jones and Jeff Francoeur. But he then allowed three straight singles to center, with Matt Diaz driving in Scott Thorman on the third.

The inning would have ended on Churck James's slow roller to shortstop, but even though Josh Wilson made the play, Dmitri Young -- gulp -- dropped the throw. Just dropped it. E3. Allowed a run.

These are the potential drawbacks. Here we go.

End of the second: Braves 2, Nationals 0.

By Barry Svrluga  |  March 25, 2007; 1:27 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Groins, dizzy spells ... and some NEWS
Next: Bits and pieces

Comments

Flores just PR for Schneider - already? Hope this isn't bad news. I've had enough!

Posted by: Another Nook? | March 25, 2007 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Why did they pull Schneider for a pinch runner in the third if he needs more at-bats? Please tell me he isn't hurt.

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | March 25, 2007 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Early word is that the plan was for Schneider to have two at-bats and then sit. Honestly, with all the news before the game, I didn't have time to ask Acta about that move. I'll find out before the game ends.

Posted by: Barry Svrluga | March 25, 2007 2:05 PM | Report abuse

How short is the leash for Dmitri Young? Casto is probably better at 1B anyway based on the fact he played 3B and can move. I'd imagine the backup plan could be Casto at 1B, Snelling in LF

Posted by: Anonymous | March 25, 2007 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Agree with the post above; Snelling in LF and Casto at 1b. Saw Casto playing 1b on the aux field last week in Viera and he has good baseball sense. Young missed a popup in the Braves game that even I could have caught. Snelling makes things happen; he should be in the lineup, but I can't argue w/ giving Casto a shot -- he likely will be the face of the franchise w/ Zim and Austin for years to come.

Barry what's the story on Patterson today? Is he ok??

Posted by: Ray | March 25, 2007 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Barry=hardest working man in news business.

Posted by: Svrlugamania | March 25, 2007 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Hey, dude looking for Patterson news: Read the previous post, man.

Chico shelled: 3-2/3 IP, 10 H, 6 R, 5 ER, 2 BB, 4 K, 82 pitches, 51 strikes.

Posted by: Barry Svrluga | March 25, 2007 3:21 PM | Report abuse

What about Spig being a Rule 5 does that give him an advantge over J Berg since he has options?

Posted by: Tom | March 25, 2007 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Dave, will the web page eventually have information on THIS year's team? I'm glad to see Vinny Castilla is out of the Bumps and Bruises section, and I wish Melvin Dorta all the best, but geez.

Posted by: Wally Pipp | March 25, 2007 6:06 PM | Report abuse

How bad did Chico get hit. 9 out of 10 hits were singles. Seems like if he was pitching really badly there would be more extra base hits. Balls just hit where nobody was?

Posted by: Anonymous | March 25, 2007 6:46 PM | Report abuse

All of this conjecture on the moves this team makes pales in comparison to the fact that HALF THE STADIUM REMAINS UNSOLD FOR OPENING DAY. I bet the citizens of Montreal are giggling.

Posted by: 6th and D | March 25, 2007 8:30 PM | Report abuse

With all the stuff Bowden was saying about Snelling in left field last week, how did Casto jump ahead of him? Just curious.

Posted by: CANatsfan | March 26, 2007 7:10 AM | Report abuse

To echo previous comments, I think there are several reasons for no sellout on opening day. First and foremost, is the weekday afternoon gametime. An overwhelming number of ticketholders, I am guessing, are not in a position to skip work. Second, RFK is, by baseball standards, cavernous. If you cannot fill a stadium that is significantly larger than other team's who do sell out opening day, that does not necessarily indicate a problem with your base of support. Third, is a lack of marketing (which may indicate problems with base of support). Every piece of information I've seen about the team and tickets has come directly from the team to me as a season ticket holder. Except for passing out paper schedules at some Metro stops, I've not really seen any effort by the team to build support in the city or to generate buzz. They need to reach outside their normal channels (i.e., their website and MASN) and make an effort to gin up support from folks who are not already committed to them.

The annual ticket delivery circus is just an embarrasment.

If it is true that they're not allowing food and backpacks into the game, then the team is really going to drive away fans. Most fans come to the game straight from work and have some sort of a bag with them. A bag prohibition is probably enough for some of them to say, screw it. As for food, the bottom line is that the food at RFK is overpriced and generally crappy and unhealthy. Again, another reason to stay away if you're coming straight from work and then are essentially highjacked into paying $5+ for a nasty hot dog or even more for a fat laden or fried concoction of some sort.

Posted by: Calvin | March 26, 2007 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Kasten was on DC101 this Morning. Did anyone else catch it? The real issue is this; When asked about the rotation Kasten named 4 of the 5 starters, Patterson, Hall, Chico and #4 goes to Simontacchi. This is exactly the opposite of what Manny is saying. Is this a case of Stan the Man sounding good on the radio or is there a discrepancy between what Kasten and Bowden are saying and what Manny is saying? I like Simontacchi as the #4 if only to say his name more, but if there is someone better maybe we should be going in that direction. Does Manny know who is in charge, him or Kasten?

Posted by: Sec. 418 Jr. | March 26, 2007 12:01 PM | Report abuse