Through four

Forget about the pitching staff. Maybe it's the offense that'll be a problem. (And we should really get to that discussion, because I keep having people asking me, "Is this team going to be involved in a lot of 9-7 games?" and I can't figure out how they're going to score seven runs all the time.)

Hill plowed through the Dodgers in the third and fourth, allowing groundball singles to Gonzalez and Bigbie in the fourth but no damage. His line through four (and I'm not sure if he's done or not):

4 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 2 K

But through three innings against lefty Randy Wolf, the Nationals managed only that Lopez single, and that was pretty much the only well-hit ball. Zimmerman, who entered today's game hitting a tepid .457, just grounded out for the second time in as many at-bats. Kearns flew out, and Church grounded out. As a team, Nationals 1 for 12 now.

So through four, it's still Nationals 0, Dodgers 0. (It's also cloudy, breezy and dare I say cool here, so you're really not missing much.)

(Oh, and in the top of the fifth, with Hill still pitching, there's a pretty good rain coming down. Fans scrambling. I hope DC is nice.)

By Barry Svrluga  |  March 19, 2007; 2:01 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Through two
Next: Top o' the Hill

Comments

Barry,

Good to have you back, by the way. Just lettin' you know that folks are reading.

Posted by: Two Weeks and Counting! | March 19, 2007 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Gee, if .457 is tepid, what do you have to do to get hot?

Posted by: Willie Gandabol | March 19, 2007 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Or is that a mostly-bloopers-and-bleeders .457?

Posted by: Tepid is better in Viera | March 19, 2007 2:18 PM | Report abuse

and it is partly sunny and 46. Stay down there this week.

Posted by: Not tepid at all | March 19, 2007 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Tepid: Kidding.

Posted by: Barry Svrluga | March 19, 2007 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Barry,
You have seen Shawn Hill pitch now a couple of times and apparently from your reports everything has been going well. But I was wondering as to what kind of contact other teams are making off of him (i.e. lots of hard hit groundballs / line drives that are getting hit at people for outs or is he fooling teams enough to get lazy flyouts and groundballs)

Thanks!

Posted by: Ray | March 19, 2007 2:32 PM | Report abuse

When are you / Sheinin / Boz / the bird beat writer going to have another baseball chat? I've been looking forward to posing another Cordero trade idea because it has been at least 3 days since I've heard one (Cordero + Broadway for WM Pena + 4A starter who could be a 5th guy for the Nats+ Edgar Martinez (hard throwing RP) + . . .)

Posted by: Federal triangle | March 19, 2007 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Hill is a sinkerball guy, and therefore he gets a lot of groundballs. Today, he had four pop-up outs to the infield, two fly balls to the outfield, four Ks and six groundball outs. Throw in a pair of groundball singles that could've been outs, and he's the guy you expect -- grounder after grounder after grounder.

Posted by: Barry Svrluga | March 19, 2007 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Barry,
Thanks for the analysis, thats exactly what I was wonderign since I could not see it for myself.

Go Natty's!
(By the way Natty's is way cooler than Nat's)

Posted by: Ray | March 19, 2007 5:49 PM | Report abuse

I like natty's as a reference to natural beer co. (anhieser busch) also you could call the potomic nationals the "natty lights" (i know... bad joke)

The best part is that they have just about the same effect: They make you sluggish and unmotivated, they leave a slightly bad taste in your mouth, too much will leave you feeling sick, and you still can never stop watching/drinking!

Gotta love cheap beer and cheaper baseball teams, go nattys

Posted by: Typical college kid | March 19, 2007 6:51 PM | Report abuse