What's Fort Lauderdale like this time of year?

Don't ask me. Seriously. In Tampa right now. Filing this from the media room at the ACC Tournament taking place at the St. Pete Times Forum. Don't tell anyone.

I packed the whole Journal staff in my rented Ford Mustang (standard issue rental car in this state) and drove west last night. But have no fear: Just because I'm here and not there (Ft. Lauderdale, where Nats-O's will take place today at 1:05 p.m.) doesn't mean I can't bring you some Nationals news, such as ...

Today's lineup:

(Oh, shoot. I seriously deleted that email. Um, hmmmm. What to do? Wait. I'm getting one of my staffers on that now.)

D'Angelo "E6" Jimenez -- SS
Rafael/Ronnie Belliard -- 3B
Ryan Church -- LF
Michael Restovich -- DH
Honest Abraham Nunez -- RF
Larry "On" Broadway -- 1B
Darnell McDonald -- CF
Joe Thurston -- 2B
Danny Ardoin -- C (pronounce that name as if he's a hockey player from Quebec)

(Private aside: After seeing that lineup, the overwhelming guilt I felt about not going to Lauderdale has been alleviated. Again, don't tell anybody.)

Matt Chico gets the start, with Chris Schroder, Jermaine Van Buren and Ryan Wagner among those slated to follow. I'll try to get an update or two throughout the game (though I do have some basketball to watch/cover on my busman's holiday).

Thanks for stopping by. I'll do what I can to keep you informed today. But remember: The game's on MASN, too.

By Barry Svrluga  |  March 9, 2007; 10:23 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Cel-uh-brate good times, Come On!
Next: Game updates? You want game updates?

Comments

Barry - caught the rebroadcast of yesterday's game on MASN last night. What's up witht he urban Camo hats?

The Nats looked like they were going duck hunting. I know Viera is not the center of class in the universe, but I doubt the baseball players need to hide their heads from the animals in the area.

Posted by: NationalsPride Mike | March 9, 2007 10:37 AM | Report abuse

So that's what the Columbus lineup is going to look like. Good to know.

Posted by: Brian | March 9, 2007 10:40 AM | Report abuse

It was Military Appreciation Day at Space Coast Stadium

Posted by: Military Appreciation Day | March 9, 2007 10:42 AM | Report abuse

I see - I caught the game in the 4th inning, and they never explained beyond that point. Good for the Nats to do that in spring training too.

Posted by: NationalsPride Mike | March 9, 2007 10:45 AM | Report abuse

I think EVERYONE would appreciate it if they retired those hats...permanently.

Posted by: .390 | March 9, 2007 10:48 AM | Report abuse

sorry to hear you won't be at the game today, but i'm sufficiently jealous that you're in tampa right now. go tar heels!

Posted by: gretchen | March 9, 2007 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Hey Barry, just wanted to thank you for the updates on Spring Training this year. You've done a great job keeping us in the know as to what's happening with the team and it's always an interesting and informative read, even back here in in 30 degree Washington.

Posted by: Mike | March 9, 2007 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Barry -- You've got a Mustang? I'm usually driving a Kia, if I'm lucky. Don't tell us if it's a convertible.

It just shows the difference between writing for the Post and writing for American Brewer magazine.

Of course, when your beat is beer press releases often have a six-pack attached so I suppose it evens out.

Posted by: Jealous Journalist | March 9, 2007 11:55 AM | Report abuse

So tell me if you agree that today's lineup was constructed strictly to determine the Nats' bench for 2007. Seems to me the next round of cuts will feature several of these players with the rest standing a good chance of warming the pines.

Posted by: Kilgore | March 9, 2007 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Kilgore ... even we don't believe we have a chance to be anywhere other than Columbus

Posted by: Darnell McDonald, Abraham Nunez, Joe Thurston & Danny Ardoin | March 9, 2007 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Can anyone tell me if I'm somehow missing the link to the audio for this game? I can only find the TV button. I paid $14.95 for this?

Posted by: NoAudio? | March 9, 2007 1:52 PM | Report abuse

I'm looking for the link myself. My guess is that since its on mlb tv that they aren't airing the audio .. which is major BS

Posted by: Steve | March 9, 2007 2:28 PM | Report abuse

I'll just have to go and look at "Little" Roch's game blog.

Posted by: jon (dc) | March 9, 2007 2:35 PM | Report abuse