An accomplishment

Extra! Extra!! Marlins don't score in first inning! Rookie left-hander Matt Chico allows two-out single to God ... I mean, Miguel Cabrera, but gets out of inning.

Problem: Cody Ross hits two-run homer on the first pitch he saw in the top of the second. Chico gets out of that without further damaage. But try this for the third:

Hanley Ramirez with a leadoff triple. Sac fly from Dan Uggla. Absolutely monstrous homer from God ... er, Cabrera. Lineout from Willingham. Rocket of a homer from Mike Jacobs to right. Headed to bottom of third, it was 5-0, Marlins.

To review: Marlins led 3-0 after two innings on Monday. Marlins led 4-0 after one on Tuesday. Marlins led 5-0 after three today.

Chico, though, hit for himself in the bottom of the third, and pitched a 1-2-3 fourth. And the Nats cobbled together a run in the fourth -- leadoff double from Kearns, advances to third on grounder to first by Young, scored on grounder to second from Schneider.

Wow. Catch the fever.

Marlins 5-1 after four.

By Barry Svrluga  |  April 4, 2007; 1:51 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Didn't Make the Paper, Vol. II
Next: Didn't Make the Paper, Vol. III

Comments

woo hoo...go nats : > (

Posted by: SC Nats Fan | April 4, 2007 2:32 PM | Report abuse

well, thank jesus, the top of the 6th appeared to go well...

Posted by: derek | April 4, 2007 2:36 PM | Report abuse

I was going to leave work at 1:30 to try to get to the park for the 4th inning, but the game was over before my meeting was done. In 05 and 06 I went to about 60 Nats games, not much to see at RFK in 07, I'll be there on 9/23 and maybe a couple times before.

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | April 4, 2007 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Well, maybe I should have a little more faith. Way to go Church.

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | April 4, 2007 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for keeping up to date. It nearly blew my mind, when I saw the Post scoreboard at 1:12 pm and it said 0-0 after top of the 1st!! Powerboater obivously was not here for the new (Texas Rangers) Senators. '05 he saw a friging pennant race!!; 06, courtesy of Bowden, he saw Sorriano. If he waits until Sept., he will miss a lot baseball (some of it might be good). LETS GO NATS.

Posted by: Section 417 Row 8 Seat 9 | April 4, 2007 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Just had a glimpse of Mrs. Church after hubby clubbed that 3 run bomb. She is quite the looker...a lucky guy indeed!!

Posted by: SC Nats Fan | April 4, 2007 2:52 PM | Report abuse

So we actualy have batters after all, huh?

Way ta GO, Churchie! :-)

Posted by: Juan-John | April 4, 2007 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Bottom of the sixth came back with 3 runs. Glad to see they aren't giving up.

Posted by: Dancer | April 4, 2007 3:07 PM | Report abuse

rally time! let's go nats!

Posted by: gretchen | April 4, 2007 3:18 PM | Report abuse

scrap that.

Posted by: gretchen | April 4, 2007 3:22 PM | Report abuse

I saw a player on MLB.com last night, and listened after that game to a radio interview on XM. A player that we could probably use right now. Jose Guillen. He sounded very happy to be in Seattle, loves the attitude of the team. Vidro doing well as a DH also. That team beat oakland for the 2nd time in a row..matching the win total they had against the A's all last year.

Posted by: SC Nats Fan | April 4, 2007 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Watching now on MLB GameDay, Nats within one in the ninth, wish I was at the park. :(

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | April 4, 2007 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Holy Cow! This 9th inning sounds awesome!I so wish I was at RFK right now!!

Posted by: DE | April 4, 2007 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Nats win!! Nats win!! Nats win!!

Curly W is in the books!

Posted by: DE | April 4, 2007 3:46 PM | Report abuse

WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!!!

Posted by: JennX | April 4, 2007 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, that's the kind of heart that I remember!

Posted by: natsfan1a | April 4, 2007 3:49 PM | Report abuse

projected record...160-2

Posted by: SC Nats Fan | April 4, 2007 3:52 PM | Report abuse

I will have faith in my team. I will have faith in my team. I will have faith in my team. 1000x

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | April 4, 2007 3:52 PM | Report abuse

I think Church's homer might have saved the season!

Posted by: RA | April 4, 2007 3:55 PM | Report abuse

wahooo!!!

Posted by: gretchen | April 4, 2007 3:56 PM | Report abuse

NATS WIN!!! 7-6!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | April 4, 2007 3:58 PM | Report abuse

You see, ye of little faith...the plan is on course.

Posted by: imitation Stan Kasten | April 4, 2007 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Ahh, ya can't beat fun at the ol' ballpark!

Posted by: Harry Caray, sorta | April 4, 2007 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Gee, do you get the impression Barry likes Cabrera?

Posted by: Willie Gandebol | April 4, 2007 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Game, schmame ... did everyone get enough hot dogs?

Why aren't we talking about the food anymore?

Posted by: Captain Snarky | April 4, 2007 4:15 PM | Report abuse

but I see on gameday Church came out after 8. Hope that was for defense, and not the ambulance.

Posted by: Willie Gandebol | April 4, 2007 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Nope - double switch.

Posted by: CoNATStant Lurker | April 4, 2007 4:19 PM | Report abuse

OK, so they got clobbered, they gave one away, and they took one away. That projects to ... about 54-108. But I figure the second half will be better than the first, so maybe this won't be sooo bad ...

Posted by: cevans | April 4, 2007 4:21 PM | Report abuse

THAT is why you never leave a game early.

Imagine what it must be like to have left early today. The humanity....

Posted by: Eric | April 4, 2007 4:23 PM | Report abuse

You don't need me. Plenty of fans are negative enough to make up the loss.

Posted by: Jose Guillen | April 4, 2007 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Snarky: Probably cuz we're listening/watching the game from the comfort of our offices/homes with a belly full of Mee Goreng from Cafe Asia. Of course, the curly W does help too. :)

Posted by: JennX | April 4, 2007 4:30 PM | Report abuse

This is great, if Dmitri Young can keep up his bat production we should be able to package some sort of a deadline deal for a prospect. Anyways, starting pitching is 0/3, our offense has at least been making good contact... 63 wins is possible if everything goes right.

Posted by: Jason the homer | April 4, 2007 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Tomorrow's headline:

Veterans getting it done for Nats.

For a team that is only promoting its rebuilding efforts, names like Young, Belliard and Fick figured heavily in the Nationals' victory...

Posted by: just me | April 4, 2007 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Starting Pitching is 0-2, actually. Bullpen is 1-0, though...

Posted by: Tom Bridge | April 4, 2007 5:36 PM | Report abuse

I'm back on the bandwagon!!!

Posted by: Nats Fan | April 4, 2007 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Who else's productivity at the office tanked during the ninth inning (be it listening to the game on radio, waiting for the doggone gameday updates to come through, etc)? :-)

Posted by: Juan-John | April 4, 2007 7:48 PM | Report abuse

I was at the game today and couldn't believe the amount of noise such a small crowd could make. It was awesome!
Glad we went ahead when we did. Don't know what we'd have done with a 10th inning--the bullpen had tumbleweeds in it by then!!

Posted by: NatsNut | April 4, 2007 7:52 PM | Report abuse

Juan: I shut the door to my office in the bottom of the ninth so no one would interrupt my listening to the game with, you know... work.

Just saw the highlights and interview with Dmitri Young on ESPN2. Very cool to see them all celebrating at the plate after the winning sac-fly (hit?). That first curly W must mean a lot for those guys morale-wise!

Posted by: JennX | April 4, 2007 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Been to all three here's my thoughts.

Positives
The regular scoreboard operator must be back.

that "good feeling" is back... Finally something to cheer about other than 4 straight walks (yesterday's game). Somehow the Nats looked like a real team again after Bowie got out of a jam, and Rauch bailed out King.

HITTING out of the bottom of our lineup! Belliard was huge today, Fick came through, and I'm sorry I was down on Church yesterday (I was obviously wrong.)

Bullpen did well Kudos to Bowie, Colome, Wagner, & Rauch...

NEGATIVES
the need for a right handed pinch hitter. The fact that we needed Jesus Flores to come off the bench and pinch hit in a key situation today was scary. (Where is Jimenez?)

Ray King needs fielding practice... (yesterday he didn't cover 1st, today a super wild throw)

Starting Pitching not doing well & neither is Speigner (He's lucky he's a Rule 5 guy and can't be sent down. I'm in favor of keeping him, but 2 appearances in 3 games might be a little too much!)

OTHER THOUGHTS
I like the scoreboard "New Ballpark Building theme" ... Also, like the "I pledge" video before the game... Also, like the scoreboard "Host" ... Also, very appreciative of the ushers not getting too picky about people moving down or around. Thank you to all of you season ticket holders who didn't show up or left early the last two days, so I could sit in your seats :)

Posted by: erichardman | April 4, 2007 8:52 PM | Report abuse

um, erichardman, don't get anybody fired, ok?

Posted by: shhhhh | April 5, 2007 12:48 AM | Report abuse

Hey erichardman - you must not have been sneaking down to better seats in/near our section (205) because the lady with all the pins on her ballcap would have dragged you out by your ear!! She's a hawk!

Posted by: DE | April 5, 2007 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Eric, aren't you supposed to be, ummm, working???

Posted by: Your Boss | April 5, 2007 9:27 AM | Report abuse