Bits and pieces of news, plus your frozen lineups

Lineups first:

Kearns -- 9
Young -- 3
Schneider -- 2
Church -- 8
Belliard -- 4
Williams -- 1

Ok, for all you DISH Network customers out there -- IT'S HERE. You will have MASN. MASN will be on channel 432, MASN2 on channel 433.

(Alert: Canned quote from press release ahead.)

"Adding the Mid-Atlantic Sports Network to our existing Regional Sports Networks lineup gives Nationals and Orioles fans all the more reason to subscribe to DISH Network," said Eric Sahl, senior vice president of Programming for DISH Network. "By combining the latest and most popular sports programming with the functionality and technology of our industry-leading digital video recorders, they will find multiple ways to enhance their viewing experience."

(Alert: Canned quote from press release ahead, Part II.)

"We are pleased to have finally reached this agreement with DISH Network," stated Todd Webster , spokesman for MASN. "DISH Network recognizes the huge appetite for Major League Baseball in the mid-Atlantic region and has stepped up to the plate for its customers."

Isn't it great that everybody gets along?

Baseball: RHP Jason Bergmann and GM Jim Bowden had a long, animated (at least on the GM's part) conversation by the batting cage today. No mystery what that was about. A fake sample of what happened.

GM: "I think it would be a good idea to throw strikes."
RHP:
GM: "I also think it would be best not to walk six men in 3-2/3 innings."
RHP:
GM: "I also have a feeling -- though I haven't double-checked -- that 50 pitches in the first inning is more than the league average."
RHP:

Now, what each of them actually said afterward:

GM: "I do not want to comment on my private conversation with Jason or Mitchell Page or Robert Fick or Brian Schneider or any of the people that I've had conversations with today. But thank you for asking, Barry. It's your job." (At least we've got that cleared up.)

RHP: "Well, he basically expressed his disapproval in six walks. I think that's the biggest thing. Obviously it's not something I'm proud of. I agreed with everything he said."

Again, more of this getting along stuff.

Other news: Bergmann and Jerome Williams, tonight's starter, are flipping places in the rotation. Williams will go on five days rest next time around, Bergmann on a full week's rest. I could do the counting and figure out when they pitch, but I'm a bit rushed, so I'll leave that to you.

More other news: INF Bernie Castro, outrighted to Class AAA Columbus, is starting the season by serving a 15-game suspension for violating baseball's minor league drug policy. According to Bowden, this is left over from 2005 -- when he popped at the end of the season when he was in the Orioles' system, but he then was on the Nationals' 40-man roster, and because the drug policy wasn't in place, he never had to serve the suspension while on a major league contract. Now, since he's off the 40-man, he falls under the minor league policy again. Weird. (Not even really worth reading again if you didn't get it the first time.)

Enjoy the game tonight -- from the warmth of your living rooms. Not many people in the stands right now.

By Barry Svrluga  |  April 6, 2007; 6:07 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Didn't Make the Paper, Vol. IV -- and, finally, a chat
Next: Didn't Make the Paper, Volume V

Comments

I have comcast and can't find the nats game anywhere.

Posted by: .390 | April 6, 2007 7:19 PM | Report abuse

where are the Nats on DirecTV tonight?? The MASN website says they are on 671 (MASN2), but I am not seeing it. WTF????

Posted by: pete | April 6, 2007 7:31 PM | Report abuse

Ditto,

No MASN 2. I called Directv and they say that they are not getting any programming from MASN for channel 671.

I called MASN and they thought everything was fine. I explained the problem and they said they would look into it and get back to me.

We shall see - their number is 410-625-7100

Posted by: SacredCod | April 6, 2007 7:38 PM | Report abuse

I'm having the same problem. I called DirecTV and they told me that because the Nats are at home, the game is blacked out for me because I don't live in DC (I'm in Arlington). They are clueless...

Posted by: Bailey | April 6, 2007 7:55 PM | Report abuse

What joy Peter Angelos has spread down to Washington. Blacked out games and players suspended for steroids.

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | April 6, 2007 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Barry,

I'd love to post a comment about tonight's game. But MASN has blacked me out! Earth to Stan K.: Whatever happened to the customer experience?

Posted by: Ashburn | April 6, 2007 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Barry,

I just called MASN, told them of my blackout problem, and they hung up on me! I hope you'll report on this issue.

Posted by: Ashburn | April 6, 2007 8:14 PM | Report abuse

This is the last straw....NO Detail is to BIG for the NATS to screw up....I am so tired of STAN saying it is not our fault....an ANT has wider shoulders than STAN......He is the president and he is responsible....can't even get a beer in the upper deck so I am done with NATS unless they can admit they are a joke.....clean house of whomever is responsible to quality control with MASN!

Posted by: JayB | April 6, 2007 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Ah yes. MLB Gameday it is...

Posted by: Section 671 | April 6, 2007 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Game is now up and running on Directv. Channel 671. So check your TV if you've been having a problem. Total blackout: 1 hour 45 minutes. 5 1/2 innings. Frustration factor: Priceless!

Posted by: Ashburn | April 6, 2007 8:51 PM | Report abuse

I had DirecTV tell me that, get this, the Arizona Diamondbacks had bought the rights to the game so only people in Phoenix could see it. Of course, this was an obvious lie to cover up that they had no idea why I wasn't getting the game.

Posted by: O'Connor | April 6, 2007 9:45 PM | Report abuse

At least all you people who experienced the blackout missed the disastrous 4th (if I recall correctly) inning. Started with a horrible lazy play by Belliard, who was too busy spacing out after a hit to realize that a runner was coming his way, as was the ball from the outfield, and he had about a mile to tag the guy out but didn't realize it. Got some well-deserved boos for that one. Then Zimm made a rare throwing error to allow another base runner. Then a Kearns missed catch at the wall (tough play, but still). On a positive note, Williams went 6 innings and had a no-hitter through 3. Kearns redeemed himself with a rocket to Schneider to throw someone out at home. Nice Church HR with 2 outs in the 9th to save us from being shut out.

It was cold out there, but not unbearable. My toes are starting to unthaw now.

Posted by: JennX | April 6, 2007 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Barry, could you ask Manny and Stan about the absurdly high amount of mental errors the nats have been committing since the beginning of the season. I counted 3-4 of those tonight, along with several in each of the other games(King not covering first anyone?). I thought they were going to focus on better defense and less errors. The errors (and the maddening mental lapses that don't officially count as errors) are getting ridiculous

Posted by: CA Natsfan | April 6, 2007 11:44 PM | Report abuse

with all of these marathon innings coming as a result of our starting pitching walking guy after guy, you can expect a lot of errors. Players can't stand standing in the field that long game after game. It's time Stan "The Plan" admits that his plan isn't working out so well in the short term. Yes I realize this is a long term project, but you can see the GM is obviously as frustrated as we are. Maybe instead of yelling at Bergman, Bowden can break out a mirror and yell at himself for not bringing in some real pitching prospects. What is the over / under on when Hanrahan joins the Nats?

Also, heard an interesting interview by John Riggins of Manny Acta. It was interesting to hear Acta say something to the effect that they were going to use the 7 draft picks in the top 70 to draft some power arms, and that Chico could take getting pounded because of his tough makeup. I hope they don't rush the prospects to the majors ala Todd Van Poppel.
GO P-NATS 2-0

Posted by: erichardman | April 7, 2007 12:24 AM | Report abuse

Hey O'Connor,

What do you expect besides lies from the Murdoch organization.

Fox News = oxymoron

Posted by: Nats fan | April 7, 2007 6:43 AM | Report abuse

We need a miracle...are you listening?

Posted by: SC Nats Fan | April 7, 2007 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Hey Barry,

Have you gone soft already. What kind of coverage of last nights poor baseball and the MASN2 mess was that....No quotes from anyone on it? Just an "oh by the way" mention?

Posted by: JayB | April 7, 2007 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Oh, & btw...you think its ugly now, wait til tuesday when they travel to hotlanta & then to the big apple. Hopefully they'll somehow play a lot better on the road than they have at home. It's early in the season but they need something besides 1 come from behind win to jumpstart their confidence. I will still wear my Nats gear proudly, and wait...wait..wait for better days which are hopefully ahead.

Posted by: SC Nats Fan | April 7, 2007 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Bahahaha! Welcome to the Natosphere with the snarky "made up" conversation! You just forgost the "..." next to the RHP:

Posted by: misschatter | April 7, 2007 5:55 PM | Report abuse