Day of rest?

I wasn't going to post today. I really wasn't.

But considering Livan Hernandez -- remember him? -- just retired opposing pitcher Shawn Hill on a 1-5-3 groundout, I thought I'd alert anyone who wasn't watching: Hernandez has a no-hitter through five innings.

Just when you thought things couldn't get worse ...

By Barry Svrluga  |  April 8, 2007; 2:48 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Didn't Make the Paper, Volume V
Next: What a week

Comments

And I picked the wrong day to start reading your blog. Livan??? Good grief.

Posted by: Dorf | April 8, 2007 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Yay for Zimm breaking that up. If he didn't pitch well for us, I don't want Livan pitching well *against* us.

Posted by: JennX | April 8, 2007 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Hey, I've watch from game one of Manny's first season. Don't you thing maybe a little "Vinagor" from the coaching staff might help. Looks like a funeral home over there. I'm not asking for dugout cheerleaders,ect., but maybe some support or a kick too someone ass might be the missing persription. Notes the other night Fick barked back at the ump and was quickly tossed. Did we see any member of management involved. Nope!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Ronnie | April 8, 2007 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Good Point....it is time for Manny to do something......Do you think Frank would just sit back and accept this mess....I think Manny does not have the expirence needed to pick a spot and let lose and fire up the team somehow.

Posted by: JayB | April 8, 2007 9:24 PM | Report abuse

As a true Nats fan with low expectations this year, I'm still feeling pretty patient myself with this mess. But I do wonder, how is Manny acting these days and what's the feel in the clubhouse?

Posted by: NatsNut | April 9, 2007 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: NatsNut | April 9, 2007 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Most Minor League managers are told not to argue with the umpire, that their job is to develop the kids to play in the majors. However, the problem lies when one of those non-argumentative managers comes up to the show. He's so not used to arguing that he won't and the newer managers today seem to forget how to stand up for their players. I've seen it happen in several places. The teams that make the playoffs have a manager that'll stick up for them and get tossed, those who mire in last place all season with no hope, just sit there and take it. Doesn't make it easier on down the line either because one season like that can send you 10 years worth of treatment.

Posted by: Jarrod | April 9, 2007 9:27 AM | Report abuse

I think it's a little early to cast Acta as a shrinking violet. I mean, take yesterday's game: what's to argue? I think what the Nats badly needed was an even keel. Manny seems to be managing solidly. Sure, Frank would kick up a fuss to get games going. But he was also divisive in the clubhouse. I mean, who wanted to pitch for the guy? Zimmerman's highest praise was that Frank "left me alone." I think Manny's biggest test will be making sure the team doesn't splinter as morale gets low. And worse case, Jarrod, if you're right that Manny doesn't have any teeth, he'll be replaced once the Nats are ready to contend.

Posted by: Mick | April 9, 2007 9:52 AM | Report abuse

"couldn't get worse" ? Thanks a lot, Barry. First you put the mickey on Livo's no-no, maybe the best thing that could have happened this week at RFK; now you're tempting the baseball gods to prove that wrong.

Posted by: Half in jest | April 9, 2007 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Well, I for one am glad to see Livan prospering, and looking a little less prosperous in the bargain.

Posted by: Willie Gandebol | April 9, 2007 11:01 AM | Report abuse