Fallout From the Rainout

So I talked to Manny Acta a little while ago as the team's charter train was making its way from New York to Union Station, and he said he didn't even consider skipping Matt Chico in the rotation after the postponement of today's game in New York.

"We're going to see every one of these guys pitch, especially early in the season," Acta said.

So that, once again, bumps everyone back one day, giving an extra day's rest. The matchups for the Atlanta series, then, are Chico against Chuck James on Monday night with Jerome Williams against John Smoltz on Tuesday. The Braves had some shuffling of their rotation, too, because they were rained out on Saturday night, but they shuffled the back end, keeping Tim Hudson on his normal turn Sunday and leaving James and Smoltz where they are now.

That sets up the rotation for the rest of this (short) homestand, with Jason Bergmann opening up the Phillies series and John Patterson making his fourth start of the year in the final game against Philadelphia -- Patterson's third start at home this year.

This is actually a tough stretch of the schedule for the Nationals travel-wise. The team doesn't have a homestand of more than four games until May 11-20, and 21 of 28 games were scheduled for the road (though Sunday's washout knocks that down to 20 of 27).

Okay, hits to the Journal on the weekend are few and far between, so I'll leave some other discussions for later on. No postgame podcast today, obviously, because without a game, you can't have a postgame.

Also, as a heads-up, I'll have my first two off days of the season Monday and Tuesday (though I'll probably head out to the park on Monday afternoon). I'll try to hit you with a few Journal entries during that time, but I'll be fully up and running again on Wednesday, when the struggling Phils arrive.

Stay dry.

By Barry Svrluga  |  April 15, 2007; 5:13 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Sunday's game washed out
Next: We're No. 6! We're No. 6!

Comments

Thanks for the heads up on the Journal void we'll have Monday and Tuesday. At some point, can you check on the status of Nook for us?

Posted by: Barb | April 15, 2007 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Barb, Nook is eligible to come off the DL Wed., but according to Manny, won't. Probably because Church and Snelling are both hitting, lately. Gotta try to bump up those trade values while you can.

Posted by: cevans | April 15, 2007 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Dude, a day off means a day off. It's a long season.

Posted by: D.F. | April 15, 2007 7:19 PM | Report abuse

I got in yesterday via train from Boston. I'm hoping I get stranded here and can watch the whole homestand. As is, I'm a lock for Chico-James tomorrow. Look out Atlanta!

PS Barry, I noticed that in my .35 cent (PAPER AT LAST) version that Jorge is out to ESPN mag. Is this grounds for elation? Is the O's coverage going to diminish with his departure?

Posted by: NattyDelite! | April 15, 2007 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Ditto -- not that we won't miss you, of course!

---

Dude, a day off means a day off. It's a long season.

Posted by: natsfan1a | April 15, 2007 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Any word on the status of Guzman? Not that I'm unhappy with Belliard or anything...

And as far as Nook goes, why won't he come off the DL regardless of how Church and Snelling are performing?

I would rather have Nook on the bench than Kory Casto.

Posted by: SantanaClaus89 | April 15, 2007 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Sanity Clause, probably because he isn,t 100/cent, either. Although I hear the Nats are negotiating with Elijah Price.

Posted by: Cevans | April 15, 2007 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Relax, Freebie. We can cover for you here for two days. It's not as if this needs an editor.

Posted by: Willie Gandebol | April 15, 2007 9:17 PM | Report abuse

Take a day off, Barry-you deserve it. We'll try to manage! ;-)

Posted by: NatsVA | April 15, 2007 11:38 PM | Report abuse

Barry,
So enjoy your coverage. Thanks for your hard work. Am tired of the PR site, also known as nationals.com.... It is important to have perspective and an independent voice. Don't stop asking all the questions. Am looking forward to Patterson's next start vs Phils @ the Bobby on Thursday, weather permitting.

Posted by: randycop39 | April 16, 2007 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Wait, they have charter trains now on the NY subway system?? Does Metro know about this???

Posted by: Charter Train | April 16, 2007 10:37 AM | Report abuse

It blows my mind that you're going to a nats game on your day off instead of, say, catching an evening showing of grindhouse, but hey, it's your life. pledge your allegiance...

Posted by: derek | April 16, 2007 10:51 AM | Report abuse