No Wins for Nasty

Since he was a kid, John Patterson has gone by the nickname Nasty, so he says. He even has it stitched onto his gloves now (red at home, blue on the road). But some nasty things happened to Nasty today, and unless things turn around in a hurry, he'll be 0-3 on the year.

Right now: Jamie Moyer and the Phillies lead 4-0 in the bottom of the sixth. Patterson: 4-plus IP, 7 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 4 BB, 1 K.

Velocity: He hit 89 on the fastball, which on a warmer day he might get up to 91. He is, however, supposed to be the No. 1 starter (not "ace") of the staff. But right now, he is not pitching as well as Shawn Hill (or, you could even argue, Jason Bergmann, amazingly enough).

Meanwhile, Moyer: He's allowed two hits through six innings, singles from Young and Lopez. Austin Kearns just grounded into a double play to end the sixth.

Maybe Charlie Manuel's job is safe for a day. (Never mind that banner that was in center field a few years ago: "Hey Pat. Fire Charlie. Save our team." Ah, Phillies fans.)

By Barry Svrluga  |  April 19, 2007; 3:04 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Didn't Make the Paper, Vol. VII
Next: A chat! A chat!

Comments

Barry, ask him if he felt comfortable out there today? I bet it was the mound or maybe the tradewinds that bothered him today.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 19, 2007 3:31 PM | Report abuse

I am curious if he (Patterson) is injured, or not yet recovered from last season.

What I find most interesting is that Patterson seems to have excuses (contrast that to Cordero, who flat out says he stunk last night)...

I saw both of Patterson's games in DC at the beginning of the season, and there was just something about his presence that seemed "uncomfortable". Perhaps it was the weather the second time, but he had no excuse opening day... well, actually, he did, which in retrospect seems hollow, unless he's really not ready to be back.

Posted by: Wigi | April 19, 2007 3:50 PM | Report abuse

I hope the year proves me wrong but right now I would have to say that the two most overrated players on the Nats squad are Patterson and Cordero. I agree that Cordero was lights out in 2005 but since then, he has only been average. The most defining picture of him last year was when he jammed his glove in his mouth after he gave up the GSHR and lost that game. It looked like he was gonna bawl.

Posted by: Dancer | April 19, 2007 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Hey, be nice. I'm a delicate flower.

Posted by: ntr John Patterson | April 19, 2007 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Wigi is right on, Barry. What is the scoop on Patterson? Is he hurt or what.When Simontachi (sp?) is ready to be brought it might not be JW who is sent down.

Posted by: Sec 417 Row 8 Seat 9 | April 19, 2007 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Thought I would throw this out to you guys... I've been a season ticket holder for the past three years... including three of the very cold ones this season and last night. Around the bottom of the 10th, I decided to move from my modest 411 section to somewhere in the 200s at around 11:00pm. I'm an affable guy, but the usher grabbed me by the arm and threatened to throw me out of the stadium for sitting in a seat that wasn't mine. Two more ushers came to his assitance. I felt like a criminal. Honestly, I always thought that for an empty stadium, it was an unwritten rule that a person could move up towards the end of the game... cetainly in extra innings in 40 degree weather?! I was pretty upset, though technically in the wrong... Am I off base on this? (excuse the pun). Given everything lacking in the stadium, I kind of looked at this wink wink, nod nod as an appeasement. Help me out... thoughts?

Posted by: Should I be angry??? | April 19, 2007 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Hey, if ya don't wanna pay for the good seats, why should I let ya sit in an unused one just because you are one of the few suckers willing to pay me for a full major leage season ticket to watch the bunch of minor league players I'm willing to pay for ???? I suppose ya want free ketchup for your fries, too?

Oops, sorry I let that slip --- ya weren't supposed to know about the ketchup plan till we move to the new digs.

Posted by: Stan "The Man" Kasten | April 19, 2007 5:07 PM | Report abuse

They were pretty cut-throat at RFK the games I went. They must be on a short leash and not have a lot of job security. Not something you should be mad at them about, they're just doing their jobs... maybe a supervisor or that overseeing department. I have to say, the Fed Ex ushers were much more enjoyable.

Posted by: Dorf | April 19, 2007 5:14 PM | Report abuse

i have never been approached for trying to move down. next time don't bring your "i'm moving into expensive seats that i didn't pay for" sign with you.

Posted by: assigned seats | April 19, 2007 5:33 PM | Report abuse

I've worried all along that Patterson's comeback was being taken way too much for granted. All the hoopla in spring training was about the 4 open starting positions but I had a strong feeling that Patterson (and Cordero too for that matter) wasn't getting enough playing time and that his ability and position warranted a little more scrutiny. Oh well. I'm still hoping he (and Chief) are still just warming up and will continue to get better like the rest of the rotation.

Posted by: NatsNut | April 19, 2007 5:34 PM | Report abuse

"Can we all stop with the stupid nickname now? He is not the Big Nasty. He is not even the Tiny Nasty. "

I dunno...he's probably the nastiest pitcher in the rotation right now. My thesaurus defines "nasty" as: foul, horrid, horrible, revolting, bad, disgusting, nauseating, sickening, ghastly...

Sounds about right to me....

Posted by: one of Barry's Babes | April 19, 2007 5:35 PM | Report abuse

In Stan The Man's further plans to alienate the suckers who paid for tickets, I was standing cheering on a rally in the 8th. My seat-neighbor and I were in row 5 of section 406, and there was NOBODY (seriously, nobody) behind us in the section. There were people in the 500 level, but they were about 20 feet above us, so we weren't blocking anyone. But here comes security telling me "you can't stand during the game." I ask "you mean in the aisles?" and he says "No, you can't stand here while the game is going on."

So now we're not even allowed to have fun if we TRY?

Who the hell is running this show? Is there anything else they can do to alienate us?

Posted by: RFK Security | April 19, 2007 6:15 PM | Report abuse

In Stan The Man's further plans to alienate the fools who paid for tickets, I was standing cheering on a rally in the 8th. My seat-neighbor and I were in row 5 of section 406, and there was NOBODY (seriously, nobody) behind us in the section. There were people in the 500 level, but they were about 20 feet above us, so we weren't blocking anyone. But here comes security telling me "you can't stand during the game." I ask "you mean in the aisles?" and he says "No, you can't stand here while the game is going on."

So now we're not even allowed to have fun if we TRY?

Who the heck is running this show? Is there anything else they can do to alienate us?

Posted by: RFK Security | April 19, 2007 6:17 PM | Report abuse

I'm surprised you guys got in trouble. Almost every game I go to I just buy the $5 upper reserve seats and don't even bother going up the ramp. Tuesday night I went in and sat in the second section right next to third base, great seats!

The key is to walk in with your hands full of beer and talking to someone. A little bit of swagger helps too. Like I said, I've never been caught, and I think I've done this at over 20 games or so.

Posted by: NattyDelite! | April 19, 2007 6:22 PM | Report abuse

To 'Should I be angry'
Perhaps you should read the signs on the way into the stadium. Sitting in seats you aren't assigned to is grounds for ejection. While it is a point of contention, I side with the people who paid for the seats in that section. If you'd like a better seat feel free to pony up at tickets.com

Posted by: Roger | April 19, 2007 10:14 PM | Report abuse

On Patterson - Does he have a toughness problem. Don't know how to say this delicately...is he a wimp? Or just still not 100%? I'd love for Roger Clemens to do a "Curt Schilling" on his fellow Texan! Not a real good Texas attitude from our "ace!"

The despotic ushers really surprise me. All the games I've gone to RFK (about 20) all the personnel except the food service folks have been really nice, friendly, accommodating. One example - they ALWAYS let my kids go down before the game to get autographs.

I stopped going to Camden Yards in large part because the ushers were so surly - they REFUSED to let my sons down for autographs unless we had a ticket in that section.

The Nats should do everything possible to please their fans -- they need every one of them! Still much too small a group!

Posted by: natswriter | April 19, 2007 10:24 PM | Report abuse

I guess I must be weird -- I LIKE sitting up in the 500 seats, as long as I'm somewhere close to behind home plate (outfield seats suck). Sitting in the lower vs. the upper bowl never made much of a difference for me in a large ballpark.

A minor league ballpark is different. There, I wanna be as close to the action as possible.

Posted by: Juan-John | April 19, 2007 11:43 PM | Report abuse

... And the fact that the Nats lost today (Thursday) doesn't bother me that much anymore. Boz's Friday column pretty much sums it up the best.

Posted by: Juan-John | April 19, 2007 11:46 PM | Report abuse

Patterson and Flores did not seem to be working well together today. Carpenter/Sutton made a remark about the difficulties of a struggling pitcher working with a rookie catcher. I know the Nats have to give Schneider a rest and Flores some work, but maybe Fick would have been a better fit for Patterson today. A few Nats runs occasionally might also take some stress from Patterson. He is having a tough time right now, no doubt about it, but his curve ball looked good and his velocity was pretty consistant around 88-89. His control is certainly an issue right now, but hopefully that will improve as he regains arm strength. I was surprised and dismayed to hear some so-called fans boo him when he left the game today. Don't give up on him - he needs your suport now more than ever.

Posted by: thunderstrucknatsfan | April 19, 2007 11:54 PM | Report abuse

Patterson needs: A haircut, some 80 degree weather, some run support, and to quit walking batters. I hate it when our pitchers do that.

I would also second the idea that he should be paired up with Schneider or Fick, at least until he performs at 100% for a while. (although I thought Flores did a good job of catching today, but when it comes to calling the game he's no Schneider).

I didn't hear anybody booing him when he came out of the game, but I think it is unacceptable to boo our own players. That's the lesson to be learned from Guzman's hamstring injury on opening day.

If one of our own players needs to be booed, *this* is the appropriate forum to do so. In-game boos are reserved for umpires. ;)

Posted by: i hate walks | April 20, 2007 12:33 AM | Report abuse

"Shame on you Barry Svrluga. You know Patterson is struggling and doing the best he can at the moment. How about giving him some encouragement instead of kicking him when he is down. Are you for or against this team? I am disappointed in you!"

That's insulting on so many different levels. It's not the job of the people covering the team to root for them.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 20, 2007 5:31 AM | Report abuse

Patterson is way too delicate and ready with the excuses. If you don't have your best fast ball then throw off speed more and hit your spots. It's blows my mind that he complains about ONLY throwing 89 on a night he lost to guy who hasn't hit 89 in 10 years! What game was he watching? Moyer was in the 70s most of the game and shut us down for 8 innings.

No excuse for a team having its ushers keep people from moving up in a virtually empty stadium in April.

Posted by: mlwagnercpa | April 20, 2007 6:03 AM | Report abuse

1) I agree w/natswriter re the ushers at RFK. They've always been great to me and my kids. 2) It is not unusual for pitchers to struggle somewhat after having the type of surgery Patterson underwent. Let's give him some time to get things squared away. 3) There's no doubt the Chief's command has been off, but his ball is still moving and it isn't like people have been hitting the cover off of the ball against him. Once he gets command of his fastball and starts throwing first pitch strikes, things will be fine. Hopefully he'll have some chances to close games. 4) Nice job by Bowden signing D. Young. Young can sure hit and while he's not Mark Grace at first, he's been better than I thought he'd be.

Posted by: Hondo Lives | April 20, 2007 7:56 AM | Report abuse

During those freezing games last week I had a fantasy that after the 2nd inning they'd make an announcement telling us all to just come on in and sit together in the 100-300 seats. That would have been a cool gesture.
To the guy who was told to sit down: were you drunk or acting a fool? Maybe they were looking out for your safey? Just saying....

Posted by: NatsNut | April 20, 2007 9:00 AM | Report abuse

I haven't had problems with ushers. Then again, I've never moved down from my seat. I did have an upsetting incident with security last year. I was sitting above our bullpen peacefully watching the game when a security person came up, accused me of throwing peanuts into our bullpen, and warned me to watch myself. I was upset because (a) I had not done so, (b) not far from my seat were several peanut-eating kids and a rowdy group of young Braves fans with empty beer bottles lined up along the ledge in front of them, and (c) why single out Nats fans and accuse them of attacking their own team (Phillies fans, maybe -- Nats fans, I don't think so)? Yet I, a (not young) Nats fan, was singled out as the culprit. It totally ruined my enjoyment of that particular game and made me apprehensive about attending subsequent games. I have continued to attend and support my team but I would never sit in that section again.

Posted by: natsfan1a | April 20, 2007 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Ok, how about this one for you. The midnight game last year against Philly, I'm in the 400's. As the game is about to start, the usher in my section tells me we can move down to the lower bowl. We never got to our seats, we just walked around and were told this as we were heading out to the bowl. As we head to the lower level, we go to sit in seats that are totally vacant, about three rows from the top of the lower bowl. Another usher comes over and tells us that we have to leave...the stadium. We ask to see the supervisor and he tells us the same thing, but gives us a choice to go back to our seats in the upper deck. We told the supervisor what happened and we go walking back up the ramp to which we meet with another apparent supervisor that informs us that part of the upper deck is closed and we should find seats on the lower level. Supervisor 2 then walks us down to some seats and is gone no more than 5 minutes when Supervisor 1 brings a cop to escort us from the ballpark. On our way out, Supervisor 2 interceeds and the two Supervisors have a pow-wow. They then send us to seats all the way down the third base line and Supervisor 1 actually says this at 12:47 a.m., if the people who have these seats come, you have to leave. In order to be an usher at RFK, you don't need an IQ, a sense of time, or sense at all. Goes right along with the concessions doesn't it.

Posted by: Ushers | April 20, 2007 9:33 AM | Report abuse

It is unacceptable to boo our own ushers. They are recovering from surgery, they're in AA, it's cold, it's windy, they get no vendor support, and Frank overworked them.

Posted by: I Hate Whining | April 20, 2007 9:53 AM | Report abuse

I have a general question now that we're on the usher subject. Whenever a manager or coach goes out to the mound, yellow jacket security comes out to the field facing the stands and the ushers go down to the front, also facing the stands. Why is that?

Posted by: NatsNut | April 20, 2007 10:11 AM | Report abuse

that's to ensure no one shoots the pitchers...

Posted by: derek | April 20, 2007 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Nope, standing, clapping, yelling "let's go nats!". 2 beers for the night. The usual enthusiastic-but-behaved fan stuff.

Posted by: ToldToSit | April 20, 2007 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Shout out to Charlie in the mezannine level (if he's still there). Best usher I've ever met at any event ever.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 20, 2007 11:29 AM | Report abuse

This thing with the Ushers amazes me. I have only been to opening day so far (next game May 12 due to vacation--I will miss us beating the METS-4/28-darn it!) so I can only comment on the prior two seasons. People from 500 have always managed, with no problems, to come inton my section after the 4th inning for the empty seats. As for standing up and cheering, my section always does it, again with no problem. Of course, we usually do it all togehter. I hope the problems discussed this year do not represent a new STAN PLAN.

Posted by: Section 417 Row 8 Seat 9 | April 20, 2007 12:06 PM | Report abuse

To the people who have had bad usher experiences, I know it is embarrassing to get busted like that, but could you tell us what sections it happened in? Maybe that way we could map out where the friendlies are and where the grumpy ushers are? As stated above and from my own experience, the 417 section (and surrounding areas) tend to be accommodating. And we cheer.

Speaking of which, how about that big double that "Big D" Young belted for us yesterday? Even if we lost the game was exciting to the very last (pathetic) out.

Posted by: i hate walks | April 20, 2007 12:27 PM | Report abuse

I predicted this. Fall of the House of Usher. You could look it up.

Posted by: EA Poe | April 20, 2007 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Juan-John wrote: "I guess I must be weird -- I LIKE sitting up in the 500 seats".

The late great Bill Veeck (and if you love baseball and laughing, you should read his excellent and funny autobiography) used to say that a fan's love of and knowledge of the game of baseball was inversely proportional to the price they paid for their tickets.

I know I'm happier seeing 41 games from my cheap seats rather than spending the same amount of money for only 20 games in a -- supposedly -- better location.

Posted by: 41 Games In Section 502 | April 20, 2007 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Most of the fans at RFK don't know enough to not walk in the aisle during an at-bat, and the ushers never enforce that here (as they do in lots of if not most other MLB parks).

http://
washington.nationals.mlb.com/was/
ballpark/guide.jsp

Posted by: I Hate Windges | April 20, 2007 1:07 PM | Report abuse

I have seen ushers go up to season ticket holders who have been attending games all year and been in their seats for almost the entire game and if they go get a soda and come back the usher demands to see their tickets. This despite the fact that the usher has been guarding that section all day and in fact all year. This borders on harrassment. Yesterday two kids with Virginia Tech gear on were thrown out of the 200s for moving up. They were not bothering anyone. If ever there was a time to relax a rule, that was it but nope. I saw ushers move a man along for pausing to take a picture -- he was there for less than 10 seconds (no exageration) and they would not let him focus and click. I saw an usher ask people to move along who were actually pausing to let a vendor complete his sale -- their path was blocked by a vendor - but the usher moved them along (courtesy be damned). It's one thing to want to do your job or hide behind the almighty rules, but to aggressively pursue people for being fans is beyond rude --its irresponsible. This is an opportunity for training (or re-training) the staff. And if this is what they have been taught then heaven help us. Baseball in DC is doomed.

Posted by: Dog Frenzy | April 20, 2007 1:22 PM | Report abuse

---

Posted by: natsfan1a | April 20, 2007 1:45 PM | Report abuse

That lady with all of the pins in her hat is one mean usher. Stay away from Secs 204-206 (and lower) because she is always on the lookout for seat poachers.

I'll never forget one time after a long rain delay (against the Bucs maybe?) when two guys with tickets in Sec 106 (who had been sitting there all game) went back to their seats looking like they were trying to sneak closer to the field just to get her to check and when she did, they reeled around and flagrantly flashed her their tickets. Everyone in the area applauded!

By the way, I have no problem with people moving closer to the field later in the game and most of our ushers are unnecessarily overly zealous, but "Dog Frenzy" - why would having Virginia Tech gear on be a reason to let those two do it vice others? Yes, the VT tragedy was terrible, but it does not give a free pass to anyone who puts on orange and maroon.

Posted by: DE | April 20, 2007 2:09 PM | Report abuse

You know Dog Frenzy, saying "Baseball in DC is doomed" just turned what might have been a reasonable post into a completely idiotic one.

Posted by: R | April 20, 2007 3:14 PM | Report abuse

>>How about the vendors who obscure one's view during an at-bat -- aren't they taught not to do that?!?<<

Clearly not. Who would teach them?

Posted by: cevans | April 21, 2007 1:47 AM | Report abuse

I'm not sure that "Baseball in DC is doomed", but I think that we can safely say that if the ushers are rude enough to tick off the regular, hardball fans they are going to really sour the experience for those people who will come out to the park once or twice each year and pony up for $25-$55 tickets to get "good seats". That's a shame, because those folks make the difference between attendance of "sixteen and change" and 24k+.

Stan and Ted should have a pow-wow about this themselves. I mean, really ... if this kind of customer courtesy doesn't start getting corrected now are we really going to believe that this --and the food --and the team ... are all just magically going to get better in a new stadium?

Posted by: i hate walks | April 23, 2007 9:19 AM | Report abuse