Sunday's game washed out

Just got word that this afternoon's scheduled 1:10 p.m. start at Shea Stadium is already called off, the Nationals' first postponement of the year. No one gets to see that Matt Chico-John Maine matchup the world awaited.

No makeup date yet. Should find out later today. The Nationals travel here for the weekend of July 27-29, and both teams have Monday July 30 off, so that would make sense. That's my early bet.

Huge weather system headed this way. Started raining at perhaps 1 a.m. and isn't supposed to let up.

The tough part: Dmitri Young, who was supposed to wear Jackie Robinson's No. 42, won't get to do so. Jackie Robinson Day comes and goes without a game in Queens, the closest major league stadium to where Robinson debuted in Brooklyn.

I'll get you more info when I can. Have to make some new travel arrangements right now.

By Barry Svrluga  |  April 15, 2007; 8:50 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Have I mentioned that I love you people?
Next: Fallout From the Rainout

Comments

Bummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmerrrrrr - No, seriously.

Posted by: Andrew S. | April 15, 2007 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Two questions on Jackie Robinson Day:

1) The Nationals have a Jackie Robinson event of some kind listed on the promotional schedule for tomorrow - could he wear it then?

2) When this first came up, Dmitri said that it meant so much to him to wear the number that he "would cry" (or something to that effect) if he didn't get to keep the jersey. Well, MLB says that they are auctioning the jerseys off for charity. Where would that leave Dmitri if he ever does get to wear it?

Posted by: Svrlugamania | April 15, 2007 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Too bad...

Posted by: Anonymous | April 15, 2007 10:45 AM | Report abuse

... first of all Barry, could you extend my thanx to the Nationals next time you're with them. In our society these days, there is nowhere near enough gratitude offered to those who deserve it. And the Nats surely do; deserve it for their efforts, deserve it for the personal successes they have, and certainly deserve it for yesterday's game.

... it is quite fitting that MLB is celebrating Jackie Robinson this way (too bad about the game today) and quite interesting for the Nationals since Jackie R. first broke into the pro leagues with the Montreal Royals back in the forties. The Royals laid the fan base for the Expos, and of course the Expos/Nats connection is well known.

... and that weather system in NYC today is scheduled to bring more snow to my driveway tomorrow.

Posted by: david f watts | April 15, 2007 11:54 AM | Report abuse

From the "Silver Lining" desk, the Nats split the series with the Mets on the road...

It is amazing how the occasional win changes the perception of things.

Posted by: Wigi | April 15, 2007 1:30 PM | Report abuse

...for now atleast. The game still has to be made up and thats when the series will be decided.

Posted by: Andrew S. | April 15, 2007 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Barry: A podcast thought: maybe you could include some of the calls from the radio broadcast instead of running through all the play-by-play yourself. Not that you don't do it well but the live call brings a bit more of the vibe of the game. I'm not sure about the copyright issues, but it shouldn't be too tough to work something out this year while WTWP has the broadcasts, maybe promise to advertise their broadcasts at the end of each podcast....

Just drove down 95 from Philly. yuck. I was carrying more than $200 of fresh pasta from Tolluto's (on 9th in philly) back to DC for my parents. I went up last night to see a game and hang out with my buddy and end up spending all morning wading through a nor'easter for lobster ravioli. But the pasta should be worth it. and there's a cheese shop named claudios next door which is also off the hook. highly recommended if you're ever up there.

Posted by: derek | April 15, 2007 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Hey, there's nothing that say's I can't bid on it myself...

Posted by: Dmitri Young | April 15, 2007 6:10 PM | Report abuse

not that I would do it, but there is always Roo, the Old Switcha.

Posted by: Dimitri again | April 15, 2007 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Barry:

It never occurred to me that you would be checking the hits on the "Journal." I for one don't visit every day...but when I do...I read all the way back to the last time I was there. Your followers are legion. Our interest is strong!

Posted by: Section 214, Row 10 | April 16, 2007 8:13 AM | Report abuse