Your lineup

Young -- 3
Kearns -- 9
Church -- 8
Schneider -- 2
Restovich -- 7
Hill -- 1

Miguel Cabrera not expected to play because of a strained oblique. Why would you care? He only hit about 3.000 in the opening series against the Nationals earlier this month.

More later.

By Barry Svrluga  |  April 20, 2007; 3:23 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A chat! A chat!
Next: What's wrong with ...

Comments

I think Carpenter and Sutton are a great broadcasting team as well. Makes it very enjoyable to watch a game. Thanks for the info on the chat today. Good stuff.

Posted by: calebt17 | April 20, 2007 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Absolutely, 110% agree with the assessment of Carpenter and Sutton. I really enjoyed Bob P. (don't know how to spell his last name) last year, and was upset when I heard they weren't bringing him back, but Sutton is SO knowledgeable about the game, and he and Carpenter seem to be finding a groove together.

Posted by: AT | April 20, 2007 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Hey AT, the first name is Tom, but thanks for the thought.

Posted by: Tom Paciorek | April 20, 2007 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Seriously? Sutton is putting me to sleep. Bring back Tom Paciorek! He was so comfortable being goofy, which I just totally loved. Like when he'd sing, "Schneiderman, Schneiderman... hitting the ball like a Schneider can." Maybe he was comfortable doing these kinds of antics because only DirecTv subscribers who also happened to be Nats fans were watching for most of the year... all 15 of us. But still. I hope Tom knows that some of us were able to watch and appreciated him! Also, he and Bob played off each other strengths quite well IMHO.

Posted by: JennX | April 20, 2007 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Two innnings in, and the Nats are up by 2 runs?!?

Good to see somebody ELSE's pitcher having trouble for a change...

Posted by: Juan-John | April 20, 2007 7:37 PM | Report abuse

Paciorek was absolutely delightful. Like Sutton too. Carpenter is great. Mel Proctor was fun. Ron Darling .... not so much. Wish we could still have Paciorek for a few games. Hope they will renew Carpenter. I think they signed him to a 2 year deal. Ten year deal would be fine with me. Very comfortable to listen to.

Posted by: Frenzy | April 20, 2007 7:39 PM | Report abuse

Carpenter's great. Bob Knight, the pre- and post-game show guy, is good too, but he reminds me of the Saturday Night Live actor who used to impersonate Bill Clinton.

Posted by: Juan-John | April 20, 2007 7:52 PM | Report abuse

Juan-John:
Great comment!
I didn't even think about the comparison with Darryl Hammond (I think that's how you spell it), had me cracking up as soon as I read it. Spot-on call!

Nats up 5-0, Belliard cranking one! Whoo-hoo!

Cheers, and happy baseball

Posted by: bang the drum Natly | April 20, 2007 8:18 PM | Report abuse

So, here we are in the top of the 14th (according to mlb gameday), and the Post play-by-play says that Jason Wood homered in the bottom of the 12th to end the game. Um, huh? Am I losing my mind?

Posted by: wha? | April 20, 2007 11:29 PM | Report abuse

I've been following tonight's game online, and just wanted to point out that the Post's online coverage currently shows the game with a final score 5-6 Marlins at the bottom of the 12th...when the game is definitely still going on at the top of the 14th tied 5-5. Someone is really on top of things there...

Posted by: Megan | April 20, 2007 11:31 PM | Report abuse

Church scores on a hit by Snelling... 6-5, bottom of the 14th. Rivera in to pitch.

Posted by: Wigi | April 20, 2007 11:32 PM | Report abuse

Rivera Saves!! NATS WIN IN 14!! The Chief needs to get his act together though. 2 blown saves in a week? Church sure has his act together. So does Hill.

Posted by: Section 417 Row 8 Seat 9 | April 20, 2007 11:46 PM | Report abuse

Okay, that is the LAST time I EVER celebrate a lead early on in a game. Yeah, we won, thank Gawd, but I can't shake the feeling that I may have jinxed the Chief...

Oy Vey...

Posted by: Juan-John | April 20, 2007 11:47 PM | Report abuse

I think the critical play was Hill getting caught in the rundown. If Hill doesn't get caught, who knows what happens then, and Hill might have gone another inning or two...

Posted by: Wigi | April 20, 2007 11:51 PM | Report abuse

Cordero needs to get his hat out of his eyes and lock it up.

Rule #76: No excuses, play like a Champion!

Posted by: Dorf | April 20, 2007 11:56 PM | Report abuse

Hill apparently strained his left (non-throwing) shoulder in that dive back to third. MASN just reported it a couple minutes before finishing their post-game broadcast.

And get this: the FIRST commercial after the end of the Nationals Post-Game Show is an ORIOLES commercial. Doggone AngeLoser...

Posted by: Juan-John | April 21, 2007 12:01 AM | Report abuse

Wonder how many Nats commercials there are during an Orioles game?

That would suck if Hill is hurt badly...

Posted by: Wigi | April 21, 2007 12:22 AM | Report abuse

OK, I gotta say my piece, sitting here at 2 am after x number of drinks and coming home to see another win. Don't come to me with your entitled attitude about ushers, tickets, food, and your right-to-better-seats-than-you-paid-for. Far as I'm concernced, being a baseball fan, the ONLY think I'm entitled to in this town is good baseball. I saw the "one" when we were still 1-8 and that 'one' was from one jaw-clenching lucky inning. But since then, even with the losses, I'm seeing good baseball and that makes me happy. From the (relative) beautiful Bergmann pitching (remember, he's the 6th guy in the rotation, supposedly filling in for Simontacchi) to Dimitri's rare, gorgeous out at home, to the savvy extra run on the Snelling fielder's choice play, to great plays from AA players, to tonight's 14th inning stunner. Yea, I could be a BoSox, Braves, or even Yankees (cringe) fan and still see good baseball. But I'm attached to our guys, to the team that's now OURS. All I need, all I really expect is to see good baseball from them. Hot dogs slow and cold? Told to sit in the seat I paid for? Tickets arrived only 4 days before game 1? WHATEVER. Give me one of those graceful double-plays by 3 guys in their sort-of unlikely positions, give me an RBI hit off a slumping player and you can call me grateful.

Posted by: NatsNut | April 21, 2007 2:32 AM | Report abuse

NatsNut...you are my kind of fan. The heck with all the fluff surrounding the game..just give me good baseball effort and I'll be happy to wait for the good stuff coming in a couple of years. This team has heart and that speaks to the leadership by the skipper. The core of this team is set and maybe 2 pitchers & a power producer might put them in the mix. GO NATS

Posted by: SC Nats Fan | April 21, 2007 10:35 AM | Report abuse

"core of this line up is set"????????

I still see no fundamentals and Fick should be cut for not hussling down the line last night.

Only Zimmerman and maybe Johnson (before his yearly injury) are core players for a team that is going to be better than .500.

Of Kearns, Lopez, Belliard, Young, Schneider, Church, Guzman, Logan, Schnelling.........maybe one is a starter on any team that will be going to the win a World Series. Maybe Hill is a starter but nobody else from this rotation would be pitching in say ATL in the 90's. Wagner and Rauch are fine in our bullpen but trade Chad as soon as he gets a few saves and anyone else who can bring in a true centerfielder and shortstop and starters who can throw strikes at 93 or above....we have none.

Posted by: JayB | April 21, 2007 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Did you see Chad's face when he gave up that 9th inning dinger? Did you read his lips? I thought it was funny. But I am glad we won.

Posted by: Joanna | April 21, 2007 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Like these other two posters, I'm a baseball purist, I sit in my own seat and bring in my own food - but, look at the attendance! There's not enough of us die hards out there to sustain this franchise. The club needs to get things like friendly ushers who use common sense in seat "discipline", quality food, a clean stadium, you know, those little things, right to build a sustainable fan base here. And they need to start showing, displaying, and celebrating Washington's baseball history.

Everyone thinks this is a bad baseball town that "lost" not one, but two franchises due to lack of fan support - Srvluga even believes that. It's implicit in his writing. Perhaps Boz can educate the lad.
But, we have many years of good history and great players going way back to Babe Ruth's time - Walter Johnson, Goose Goslin, Bucky Harris, George Case, Cecil Travis and don't forget Frank Howard, Darold Knowles, Dick Bosman, Chuck Hinton, Fred Valentine...and radio broadcaster Ron Menchine still lives in the area. Don't forget this was one of the homes of the Homestead Grays, with all their great negro league players. Where are the photos of these players at RFK? Where are the pictures and highlights? The Nats need to make the ballpark a nice visit for the casual fan and educate all fans that DC has a rich, wonderful baseball history and legacy. Heck, we even have a 16 year lead over the Cubs in winning a World Series!!!

It just doesn't seem to me like the Lerners and Kasten are doing what they need to do...guess they're preparing for 2008...but will enough people even care by then?

Posted by: natswriter | April 22, 2007 10:30 PM | Report abuse

I was hustling, I'm just that slow.

Posted by: Robert Fick | April 23, 2007 9:33 AM | Report abuse