Nationals in the community

I get several e-mails a day from the Nationals, normal stuff like the media clips that include everything written about the team on a given day (the way the club makes sure players and executives and coaches have easy access to what we're writing). My favorite e-mail every day - I need it like a cup of coffee - is the organizational box scores, the results of all the affiliates' games from the previous night. Fun stuff. A great way to keep tabs on what goes on down there.

Too often, though, I get e-mails that I look at and think, "That'd be a good line for the end of my notebook," and then I forget about them, or someone's groin gets tweaked, or someone gets an eighth opinion on their balky elbow, and all of a sudden, I've got no room in the good ol' $.35 edition. That, friends, is what Nationals Journal is here for.

The items that get pushed to the side because of baseball are almost always related to the Nationals' efforts in the community. This isn't an intentional slight. But it's something of a double-standard for us in the media, because we constantly complain about how professional athletes don't give back, how they make all their money and blah blah blah. In some cases, obviously, that's correct. But it's become almost cliché to rip guys without even taking a look at what they really do.

When the Lerner family took over the Nationals, new team president Stan Kasten said that one of the pillars of the franchise would be community involvement. (Another tenet, he said, would be customer service. We've had much discussion about how they're doing in this regard, and when the new ballpark opens next year, I'm sure there will be more discussions.)

So it's worth noting some of the stuff that I leave out on a daily basis. This team sends players to Walter Reed Army Medical Center regularly, and they almost always come back moved.

But take this week. On Wednesday, Manny Acta made a noon appearance at the ESPN Zone downtown, signing autographs and taking questions. Not a charitable cause, but at least some interaction in the community.

Tomorrow, right fielder Austin Kearns and (injured) right-hander Jerome Williams will be on hand for the start of the Susan G. Komen National Race for the Cure, the breast cancer-awareness race down on the Mall. They'll be there in support of a huge contingent of players' wives and girlfriends who will be running. Here's the list.

Jarah Beidman -- Girlfriend of Nationals Pitcher Jason Bergmann
Keeley Bowie -- Wife of Nationals Pitcher Micah Bowie
Brayden Bowie -- Daughter of Nationals Pitcher Micah Bowie
Tina Church -- Wife of Nationals Outfielder Ryan Church
Liz Johnson -- Wife of Nationals First Baseman Nick Johnson
Abby Kearns -- Wife of Nationals Outfielder Austin Kearns
Shari Langerhans -- Wife of Nationals Outfielder Ryan Langerhans
Jen Lopez -- Wife of Nationals Second Baseman Felipe Lopez
Stephanie Proud -- Fiancée of Nationals Pitcher Matt Chico
Erica Rauch -- Wife of Nationals Pitcher Jon Rauch
Jordan Schneider -- Wife of Nationals Catcher Brian Schneider
Erin Wagner -- Wife of Nationals Pitcher Ryan Wagner
Sarah Williams -- Wife of Nationals Pitcher Jerome Williams
Perri Wilson -- Fiancée of Nationals Pitcher Levale Speigner

Tuesday, catcher Jesus Flores, infielders Felipe Lopez and Cristian Guzman and reliever Saul Rivera went to CentroNia, the multicultural learning center on Columbia Road NW in Columbia Heights. Wednesday, catcher Brian Schneider went to a career day for kids. Yesterday, the club brought third baseman Ryan Zimmerman and pitchers Matt Chico and Mike Bacsik to a clean-up at Oxon Run Park. This morning, Jon Rauch visited the Ronald McDonald House and will host a group of kids from the house at tomorrow's game against the Padres. Yesterday, John Patterson hosted a group of folks from Quantico at the ballpark.

Next week, the club will partner with Charles E. Smith Jewish Day School, Earth Conservation Corps and the D.C. Public Schools to help clean up the Anacostia River. Zimmerman, Schneider and Acta will join Mark Lerner and kids from Kimball Elementary School - the school the Nationals adopted last winter - in the project, ,which will involve picking up litter and planting trees.

That is one week. It's a ton of stuff I don't mention, which is too bad. I'll try to work more of it in. But just keep in mind that these guys are out there quite a bit more than you'd expect.

By Barry Svrluga  |  June 1, 2007; 3:25 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Johnson takes BP
Next: Rain, rain, go away

Comments

Wow. Barry, dude. You are psychic or something. Just had a long discussion earlier today with a co-worker on how I'd like to see the Nats get more in the community. The conversation started with my discomfort with how "white" the ballpark looks, i.e. not a fair representation of African Americans at the park, either on the field or in the stands, considering the DC demographic as well as the RFK neighborhood demographic. But I also said, "What I'd really love to see is the players really interacting with the DC school kids. What I'd love more than anything is to have as many baseball pickup games in lots and schoolyards as there are basketball pickup games, and to see little kids imitating Nats players." But man, these Nats are all over the place! I had NO IDEA.
And to repeat an illustrative story I wrote here last month, I was going to a dance class in northeast DC and a young girl in the neighborhood, African American, saw my curly W hat and curly W shirt and asked me if I played tennis, wearing all that "Wilson" gear. Ugh. Please, whether its you sportswriters or the Style section, or whoever, please, if at all possible, write more about this stuff. I know you're not the Nats PR office, but it's important. This town needs to get to know the team in as many ways as possible, not just the lineups, stats and scores for us die-hard junkies. At any rate, thanks very much for including it here. I'm grateful to know this stuff is actually going on.

Posted by: NatsNut | June 1, 2007 3:51 PM | Report abuse

1. St. Barry keep that stuff coming. Good to hear that Stan, the Lerners, and the Nats themselves are keeping their end of the community relations bargain.

2. When your newspaper gets accused of being one sided on Nats off-field issues like attendance, the stadium, etc. (I'm sure you have never heard such complaints ;)), it might be because no one gives you or others the inches in the $.35 to mention this stuff. Might want to talk to Emilio and the Metro editor about that. Do the Metro folks get those emails too? Does Steinberg? Given how he Bogged the Wizards community events so thoroughly, this would seem right up his alley.

3. BUT, shouldn't the Nats be telling that story themselves if the media won't do it? Where is the daily "Nats about Town" or "Nats in the Community" mid-inning scoreboard spot? Or on the website? This is good PR for a team during this rebuilding year on the field. You would think they would do more than just spoon feed it to you. Of all the images Stan forces down our throat at the park, there are two segments he needs to add to in game production now: 1. "Nats on the Farm," and 2. "Nats Giving Back." That is the best thing he is selling right now -- the future and the connection with the community.

Posted by: WebberDC | June 1, 2007 4:07 PM | Report abuse

At a game earlier this week, I'm sure I saw a promo on the video board that the Canned Food Drive is this weekend. But I can't find any info at Nationals.com.

Posted by: Cosmo | June 1, 2007 4:19 PM | Report abuse

I caught the tail end of something about this on the radio broadcast last night. I also thought it was this weekend.

---

Posted by: natsfan1a | June 1, 2007 4:30 PM | Report abuse

I agree with the comments above - have been seeing lots of pictures at the stadim of Chad Cordero working with one classroom of kids who are playing fantasy baseball - but why not have photos and a weekly update of community events and appearances? Clearly there is a lot more going on than just the Chief and one school.

Posted by: Another Nats' Fan | June 1, 2007 4:37 PM | Report abuse

It's always been on the team site, as far as I can recall (see link below). It's also written up in team publications like the media guide and programs, both of which are available at RFK.

---

Posted by: natsfan1a | June 1, 2007 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Wow they sure are - how do they fit it all in?

Posted by: Patty | June 1, 2007 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Barry -- Jayson Stark of ESPN had a blurb about the Devil Rays being willing to trade Elijah Dukes for relief pitching. Do you think there would be any interest from the Nationals and would Bowden consider Dukes to be enough of a return for Cordero or Rauch?

Posted by: Alexandria, VA | June 1, 2007 4:59 PM | Report abuse

natsfan1a:

I knew about the community link. Have you looked at the Nats in the Neighborhood section lately? Take a peek: http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/was/community/neighborhood.jsp

The first item references a JJ Davis appearance. The second has a Carlos Baerga sighting. The third shows Jamey Carroll. And the last refers to Coach Eddie Rodriguez.

As my old baseball coach would say, "C'mon now, that ain't real good right there."

Especially since the team is actually walking the walk, it should also talk the talk.

Posted by: WebberDC | June 1, 2007 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like the media guides and programs are more current than the site.

---

Posted by: natsfan1a | June 1, 2007 5:03 PM | Report abuse

On the plus side, they *do* have info on this weekend's food drive (June 1-3).

Posted by: natsfan1a | June 1, 2007 5:08 PM | Report abuse

On the plus side, they *do* have info on this weekend's food drive (June 1-3).

Posted by: natsfan1a | June 1, 2007 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Whoops -- sorry about the duplicate posting. It said that my submission had been rejected so I resubmitted.

Posted by: natsfan1a | June 1, 2007 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Thanks. They must have just posted that this afternoon. It wasn't there when I looked earlier today (though I did find the info on LAST year's drive).

Posted by: Cosmo | June 1, 2007 5:17 PM | Report abuse

You're welcome, Cosmo. Who knows, maybe they'll update the other info, too.

---

Posted by: natsfan1a | June 1, 2007 5:26 PM | Report abuse

.blogs PostWa the infected have posters-top the now, Great

Posted by: joebleux | June 1, 2007 6:37 PM | Report abuse

... excellent, excellent, excellent, excellent, excellent, excellent stuff.

... I knew pro teams did a lot of work, but this seems way beyond the call of duty.

... CUDOS all around.

Posted by: natscan reduxit | June 1, 2007 7:19 PM | Report abuse

... and on the baseball front, I'm just thankful we don't feature the Barrett/Zambrano show. Even tho the Nationals have certainly had their struggles this year, they've done a masterful job of keeping them on the field.

Posted by: natscan reduxit | June 1, 2007 7:32 PM | Report abuse

Who is this guy playing shortstop and where did Cristian Guzman go? 4-5! Hitting .316! Don't get me wrong, it's AMAZING. . . I just don't understand. Good job, Nats. Couldn't force the loss on Peavy, but way to go, boys!

Posted by: Atlanta | June 1, 2007 10:10 PM | Report abuse

Guze rules!

Posted by: natsfan1a | June 1, 2007 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Please no on Elijah Dukes to the Nats! I don't care how good he is.

Posted by: misschatter | June 1, 2007 11:20 PM | Report abuse

Awesome, awesome game. Just got back and man how I wished Peavy got the loss tonight instead of Meredith. It would be awesome for his record to be 7-2, with our sparky little Nats being the 2. I mean, we ROCKED Peavy right from the start. I'm so proud. It was great seeing the team run out and pummel Belliard (with joy of course) and celebrate like they won the world series. I LOVE it when they do that.
GO NATS!!!

Posted by: NatsNut | June 1, 2007 11:41 PM | Report abuse

P.S. I'm just as bummed Chico didn't get the win. Hope he knows how awesome he was tonight!

Posted by: NatsNut | June 1, 2007 11:42 PM | Report abuse

Let's hope that 2nd base umpire gets sent down to referee a minor-league game to learn how to get his reaction times back...

Posted by: Juan-John | June 2, 2007 12:29 AM | Report abuse

... and how about Churchie gunning down the runner at third, and Kearns nearly doing the same thing later on?

Posted by: Juan-John | June 2, 2007 12:32 AM | Report abuse

Ladies and gentlemen, the Nats just faced the major leagues' best pitching... and won.

I have a ton of respect for Peavy, Bell, and Meredith. Respect does not equal deference or submission, as our guys demonstrated tonight. (I also have gained a ton of respect for our guys getting in there and knocking it around some.)

Way to stay in and battle and WIN! Oh you Nats!

Posted by: Hendo | June 2, 2007 12:46 AM | Report abuse

AHHHHH...How sweet it is!! Undefeated in June...ok, so its one game, but 14-7 in the last 21 looks pretty good doesn't it. Keep plugging away and .500 might be achieved. The real Guzie has shown up this year...healthy and hungry. His defense will improve as time goes on, at least I hope so. And how about the Meat Hook...is he hot or what. WOW....GO NATS...STAY HOT off to dreamland

Posted by: SC Nats Fan | June 2, 2007 1:18 AM | Report abuse

By the way, good luck to all our ladies tomorrow at the Race for the Cure. Thanks for reporting this, Barry.

And let's all show up both Saturday and Sunday with a bag, or at least a can, of food for the Food Bank. This is a seriously underpublicized promotion for a great cause. We -- Mark, are you listening? -- can and must do better publicizing of this kind of event.

Posted by: Hendo | June 2, 2007 1:25 AM | Report abuse

Can't say more than the excellent preceding posts.

Re community: maybe part of "the plan" (unpublicized) is to cultivate future fans via the D.C. public schools? That would not be a bad thing. I played hookey in HS to take a trolley and watch Robin Roberts pitch in an exhibition at Griffith Stadium..

Posted by: JohnR (VA) | June 2, 2007 7:31 AM | Report abuse

Let me throw in another "Please, No!" on Elijah Dukes. I don't even think he'd be much of an addition on the baseball front. He sounds so fouled up mentally and emotionally that I don't think he'd be able to sustain consistent performance over 162 games despite his physical gifts.

Posted by: Simon Oliver Lockwood | June 2, 2007 8:02 AM | Report abuse

Couldn't do a Food Drive with Elijah Dukes. His wife might perish by his hands before she got to the game to accept the non-perishables.

Posted by: swanni | June 2, 2007 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Nostalgia corner: At 1:05 this afternoon, Nats alum Livan Hernandez (5.2, 3.58) goes for the Diamondbacks against the Mets and Jorge Sosa (4-1, 3.64). Go get 'em, Livo.

Posted by: Hendo | June 2, 2007 11:23 AM | Report abuse

RE: canned food drive. We only knew about it because we'd been at the game Wednesday when they announced it. Had two bags of canned food to give at the game last night and we really had to hunt around for the drop off points. Didn't see the collection points on arrival so went looking again later in the game. Went to guest services and they said drop them off at one of the gates. Went to the main gate and the guy said go to guest services. (!) Luckily right then someone on his radio said the drop off point was *outside* the gate. Sadly, only about 4 other bags of canned goods were in the big collection baskets. Word probably could have been put out a little better, but hope they have more collections today and tomorrow.

Posted by: NatsNut | June 2, 2007 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Here's another take on the A-Rod "Hah" stunt. My fellow season ticket holder, obviously not a "purist", said last night that ultimately baseball is entertainment. She goes to a game and she thinks "okay guys. entertain me." She hates the Yankees, could care less about A-Rod, but she said "he does his job. he entertains me. he may be a little screwed up, but whatever. I'm entertained." I'm a new baseball convert so I'm a little more into the purity and gamesmanship of the sport and I don't necessarily agree. But it's a valid and interesting take.

Posted by: NatsNut | June 2, 2007 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Today on TWIB they announced the candidates for clutch player of the month and one of them was our own Felipe Lopez. You can vote for him via the link below. The show also featured Dmitri Young and his baseball card collection.

Posted by: natsfan1a | June 2, 2007 2:11 PM | Report abuse

That's a shame. Hope that they do better this weekend. They've been announcing the dates and gates on the radio broadcast but must not be getting the word out elsewhere (including to employees!).

---

Posted by: natsfan1a | June 2, 2007 2:15 PM | Report abuse

A-Rod was right. If an infielder is so unfocused that he drops a ball because a runner yells at him, well, every Little Leaguer knows not to fall for that trick.

And Joe Torre is out of line in criticizing A-Rod. If he had done it to win the seventh game of the World Series, you think Joe would have had a problem? I don't.

Posted by: Swanni | June 2, 2007 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for sharing, Barry. This is great stuff they're doing; the kind of thing that keeps you feeling good as a fan even when the team is way below .500!

Posted by: Vienna, Va | June 2, 2007 2:28 PM | Report abuse

thanks for the link natsfan1a...just cast my vote for Felipe...GO NATS...STAY HOT

Posted by: SC Nats Fan | June 2, 2007 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Not sure about Felipe going clutch. Last night's line: F8, K, F8, F8, F8.

Posted by: NatsNut | June 2, 2007 4:24 PM | Report abuse

You're welcome, SC Nats Fan.

Not to worry, NatsNut, the poll is for the month of May and last night was June ;)

Posted by: natsfan1a | June 2, 2007 4:54 PM | Report abuse

... I understand the thinking behind the inevitability of trading Dmitri Young whenever the right deal comes along. But there's a very big part of me which says let's keep him, and not simply because he's on a tear recently. I think he'd be a good guy to have on our bench - to fill in at 1B for Nickie J. (and that may be necessary more often than we know), or to pinch hit for power.

... many of you have one up on me; you've actually seen him in play and you may set me straight in the places where I'm way off-base, but from where I sit (and being a small 'c' conservative in such things) I'd be willing to keep him around. And besides all that, I just like the guy.

Posted by: natscan reduxit | June 2, 2007 6:53 PM | Report abuse

Natscan: he's sure showing his value now... I think he's only interesting to other teams for his bat, so unless you're an AL team looking for a DH, I think he's probably sticking around...

Posted by: Wigi | June 2, 2007 8:59 PM | Report abuse

I to am fond of the meathook. While not privy to the clubhouse, he seems to be the type of guy that probably helps keep things loose in there. That, I think, sometimes is more important than we know. Of course, that mammoth shot in the club level a bit ago doesn't hurt. It appears that some of the guys didn't bring there A,B or C game to the park tonight. It happens occasionally I guess, especially after such an emotional win last night.

Posted by: SC Nats Fan | June 2, 2007 9:16 PM | Report abuse

natscan, it's "kudos" with a k, and btw, it's singular, not plural. A kudos is a laurel wreath, the winner's prize at the original Olympics. (that and the endorsement contracts)

Posted by: Willie Gandebol | June 2, 2007 11:20 PM | Report abuse

Ugly, folks. Warned you this was coming.

I can try to make allowances for the pitching, our staff being in tatters and all. But the Ghastly Award needs to be divided somehow among the fielding, batting... and scoring.

How Speigner can be charged with six earned runs in the top of the first defies even the most hard-hearted scoring philosophy -- and my sectionmate Pat will tell you I'm a tough scorer. The lack of E's on the Nats line in the official box score has me shaking my head.

My scorebook shows quite a different view of the action from the official box. But to see it, you'll need to show proof of age, as I don't want to shock or discourage our youthful fans with the real (admittedly, in my subjective judgment) story of the game.

Way to hang in, Speig; good luck on the road Friday. Good effort tonight, Meat. Guz, Zimm, you did a nice job setting the table in the sixth. Hope the rest of you guys can give us something more closely approaching 100% tomorrow. That is all.

Posted by: Hendo | June 2, 2007 11:23 PM | Report abuse

let's see, baseball credibility ... Swanni/Joe Torre, Swanni/Joe Torre ... hmmm.
I don't know Torre personally, but after watching him for several decades, I get the impression he WOULD have a problem with it. He might be too professional to say it in the press -- he has dealt with the Boss for a long time now -- but that begs the question.

Posted by: cevans | June 2, 2007 11:28 PM | Report abuse

A-Rod's 'Ha' is simply a smart play if the infielder is dumb enough to fall for it.

Most of baseball's unwritten rules are ridiculous -- don't steal second if up by more than five runs; don't run hard to first on a "routine" grounder; don't ask the umpire to check if the pitcher is scuffing the ball (remember the Angels going nuts over Frank when he actually deigned to do so?)

But you should play hard -- and play to win within the rules -- regardless of the circumstances.

Posted by: swanni | June 3, 2007 6:22 AM | Report abuse

By the way, speaking of not running hard to first, what's up with Nook Logan? Not only did he misjudge two fly balls last night, he lollygagged his way down to first on a grounder.

Posted by: swanni | June 3, 2007 6:24 AM | Report abuse

And what's up with Felipe Lopez frequently forgetting to cover second? Last night in the first inning, Zimmerman kept staring at Felipe after he had to wait before throwing to second for the force out. After waiting, he rushed the throw and it pulled Lopez off the bag.

Posted by: swanni | June 3, 2007 6:42 AM | Report abuse

Natscan, Wigi,

I like Meat Hook as well, and he does seem to be a "good clubhouse guy," (does that seem right, Barry?) but that's what this team is about this year - finding useful pieces for the long-term. Part of the reason you sign a guy like DY for cheap in the offseason is hoping he gets hot and that you can turn him into more stuff for the long-term. I'd be sad to see him go, but I very much hope Bowden has a conversation with Cashman sometime today.

Posted by: Brisketologist | June 3, 2007 7:47 AM | Report abuse

Brisketologist: "you sign a guy like DY for cheap in the offseason is hoping he gets hot and that you can turn him into more stuff" ... but it doesn't mean you must.

To All Concerned (about calling for the ball): ... Manny says this: "I'd rather see two guys collide trying to catch the ball instead of two guys looking at each other." And I agree with Manny.

... and finally, once again GameDay gave me the line but not the details. It's really difficult to get a sense of what's happening if you have no audio/visual access. For example it wasn't until this morning I knew about the defensive miscues in that ugly first; to go by the simple line, you'd have thought Levale was a hideous mess on the mound. But on the whole, it's way better than nothing.

Posted by: natscan reduxit | June 3, 2007 8:13 AM | Report abuse

Natscan, re da Meat, it could be argued that his is the veteran presence we want on the club and would be willing to pay bigger free-agency bucks for. If he is traded, we'd better get full value in at least prospects in exchange for his (thus far) solid contributions.

Re GameDay, you have identified its biggest flaw. But it can only report the errors it knows about.

Posted by: Hendo | June 3, 2007 8:37 AM | Report abuse

I was surprised not to see several E's come. up in that inning. I'd imagined that we might see a change in scoring for that inning at some point (they have 24 hours, right?).

---

Posted by: natsfan1a | June 3, 2007 9:41 AM | Report abuse

"I'd imagined that we might see a change in scoring for that inning at some point (they have 24 hours, right?)."

That's my understanding. One thing's for sure, there needs to be either a change in scoring or a change in scorer.

Posted by: Hendo | June 3, 2007 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Gosh, natscan has been one of our most erudite, thoughtful posters, and I always look forward to reading his contributions. We all have an interest in the team in common, so perhaps we could declare a moratorium on grammar/spelling nitpicks (although, if we're doing so, "kudos" seems to be used more often than "kudo," and there is some disagreement on which is correct).

---

natscan, it's "kudos" with a k, and btw, it's singular, not plural.

Posted by: natsfan1a | June 3, 2007 9:52 AM | Report abuse

I wonder whether the usual scorer had the day off.

---

Posted by: natsfan1a | June 3, 2007 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Perhaps the Nats' official scorer was in Salisbury last night watching our class-A Hagerstown Suns battle the Delmarva Shorebirds to a 4-3 loss. At least to read the game log on MILB.com, Hagerstown's Jhonny Nunez was correctly absolved of responsibility for a baserunner on what reads like a muffed throw to second by Suns SS Michael Martinez attempting a force play.

Nunez had a decent outing, by the way: two earned runs in six frames, and nine groundball outs to only four flyball outs. He earned a no-decision, maintaining a record of 1-4 and improving his ERA to 4.44. May have a bit of a control issue, leading the Suns' rotation in both innings pitched (50.2) and hit batsmen (7). (In the ironic way these things work, last night saw Delmarva starter Bradley Bergesen hit a pair of Suns batters, while Nunez plunked no Shorebirds.)

Posted by: Hendo | June 3, 2007 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Folks, the Food Bank collection ends today. Don't forget to collect some dry and/or canned food items from the pantry or to stop by the market on the way to the game.

See you this afternoon at RFK.

Posted by: Hendo | June 3, 2007 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Do you think they'll get the game in today? The forecast doesn't sound good.

Posted by: natsfan1a | June 3, 2007 10:52 AM | Report abuse

I think Speigner deserves another chance, but I think the scorer was correct. The two fly balls were untouched, and the play by Zimm would have required more than ordinary effort to complete, though he could have done it. But Speigner by no means pitched as badly as 6 earned runs. In fact, he threw the equivalent of 5 shut out innings, and we should have been ahead when Dmitri hit the homer.

Posted by: markfromark | June 3, 2007 7:27 PM | Report abuse