News from up the Parkway (and a lineup)

As always, I really don't want to interrupt the discussion going on around the previous post, but there's a few worthwhile items.

Check washingtonpost.com/sports in a bit. We'll have a story updating the Orioles' managerial search, which might be coming to a close rather quickly.

Here's your Nationals' lineup. No surprises (and no new fodder for Logan's growing legion of detractors):

Guzman -- 6
Lopez -- 4 (couple better at-bats last night)
Zimmerman -- 5
Young -- 3
Kearns -- 9
Church -- 7
Schneider -- 2
Langerhans -- 8
Simontacchi -- 1

Nick Johnson taking more BP right now. Your boy Alex Escobar was here throwing recently. Luis Ayala threw two innings, allowing a hit and striking out two, last night for Columbus. Back-to-back outings are Friday and Saturday, and we'll see if he's ready then.

I'll be on "Washington Post Live" on Comcast SportsNet this afternoon at 5:10 p.m. Tons o' fun, I'm sure.

Rotation against the Indians this weekend:

Friday: Micah Bowie (4-2, 3.78) vs. Fausto Carmona (8-2, 3.12)
Saturday: Matt Chico (3-5, 5.35) vs. Paul Byrd (6-3, 4.81)
Sunday: Jason Simontacchi (4-4, 4.84 going into tonight) vs. TBD (who has a wicked curveball)

OK, back to your regularly scheduled discussion.

By Barry Svrluga  |  June 19, 2007; 3:28 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Three former Tigers, three different stories
Next: News! News! News!

Comments

Re. TBD, I would have been looking for the invisiball.

---

Posted by: natsfan1a | June 19, 2007 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Lemme guess: Girardi's already selected.

Please don't count me as Logan detractor yet. I'll stick with him for a bit longer. I do like Escobar too though. At least he'll give us some more depth. And wow, the pitching recoveries are moving along. It seemed like forever before we were going to be able to hear about original starters, much less O'Connor and Ayala. It's starting to look exciting but one does get attached to players. Wish we could just keep everyone, DY included.

Posted by: NatsNut | June 19, 2007 3:52 PM | Report abuse

If Girardi is hired by the Orioles after turning down the Nats, that is just another reason for us to keep beating the Orioles whenever we get the chance. His loss and Manny is our gain.

Posted by: Dancer13 | June 19, 2007 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Agree 100%!

---

Posted by: Dancer13 | June 19, 2007 03:58 PM

Posted by: natsfan1a | June 19, 2007 4:07 PM | Report abuse

You gotta love the Girardi quote in Barry and Dave's new story. I paraphrase, but it reads to me like, "I got to see my son play Little League and my daughter start to crawl. But enough of that stuff, let's PLAY BALL!!"

Think the Nats would have weathered this season, the slow start, all the injuries to pitchers, etc. as well under Girardi as under Manny? I say no way. More people would buy a ticket to a Girardi-Angelos face off than currently buy tickets to O's games. It's called justice, folks.

Posted by: Vandy | June 19, 2007 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Barry -- your article floats Dusty Baker as another possible candidate, but w/no sourcing. Did you get that from someone with knowledge, or are you and Mr. Sheinin just suggesting that as a logical possibility given the connection to Macphail?

Posted by: Sam | June 19, 2007 4:20 PM | Report abuse

I didn't like this guy before but now he is a complete TOOL. To think that taking the O's managerial job after "holding out for something more desirable" than the Nats job is just silly. I can't wait to continue to pound the O's into the ground if they hire him. Just one more stupid move to add to the list.

Posted by: Girardi Hater | June 19, 2007 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Joe - Call me before you do anything!

Posted by: Lee Mazzilli | June 19, 2007 5:06 PM | Report abuse

So Barry, why do you think Girardi wants the O's job over the Nationals? Both seem like long-term projects. But arguably, the Nationals have a clearer path to succeeding sooner. Thoughts?

Posted by: Ashburn | June 19, 2007 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Gee, I don't suppose salary had anything to do with Girardi's taking his name out of consideration with the Nats?

Somebody remind me what Manny's salary is (I don't think it's very high, right?).

Posted by: Juan-John | June 19, 2007 5:22 PM | Report abuse

HA HA HA...jokes on Girardi if he takes the job up the parkway...SUCKER. Yes, the Nats management should thank their lucky stars he didn't want this job. Manny is the man. Nice plug on WPL for Nats journal. Dusty Baker...please...it's over Dusty...stay on bb tonight.

Posted by: SC Nats Fan | June 19, 2007 5:24 PM | Report abuse

I am very much a Logan detractor. I cannot wait to get Alex Escobar back, so we can get a couple of months of solid productivity before he goes down until next May. Nobody would claim Logan off waivers, because his mythical defensive skills are as much a myth as his offensive skills. Once Escobar self-destructs, Brandon Watson could do no worse than Logan.

Posted by: Parts is parts | June 19, 2007 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of parts- any news on whether the Nats are interested in either Tomo Ohka or JC Romero, Barry? They are both available on waivers.

Posted by: Parts is parts | June 19, 2007 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Section 506 (After moving), re Little League: Yes. 8^D

Re Barry's Fick update two posts ago: Rob, you have many people by your side in spirit. Thanks for sticking with us. Know that we are with you.

Will be checking in from DFW Airport. AA Flight 1188 has just been delayed another 2.5 hours with no explanation as usual. (I think it's up on the roof and they can't get it down.)

Posted by: Hendo | June 19, 2007 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Okha signed with St. Louis.

Posted by: Sam | June 19, 2007 5:54 PM | Report abuse

But why would Gerardi sign with Angelos after leaving his last job because the owner is an alpha hotel? It's not like he pays for the privilege, like a certain football team owner.

Posted by: Cevans | June 19, 2007 8:09 PM | Report abuse