Quick update

Homestand ends today. Sun is blaring out here right now. Grass being mowed. We'll see you in a week-and-a-half after this one, following stops in Minnesota, Baltimore and Toronto.

Draft begins at 2 p.m. First time it'll be on live TV. Check ESPN2 if you're interested. My money's on the kid from California, Moustakas, as the Nationals' selection at No. 6, but there could be a major, major surprise, too. We'll see how it unfolds.

Chad Cordero: His fastball is back to 2005 form, if you ask me. Can put it where he wants it. He's not getting any save chances right now, but he put himself in position to get the win last night with a 1-2-3 ninth in which he struck out two guys. ERA before he went on bereavement leave: 4.70. ERA in 12 appearances since: 0.00.

Nationals lineup:

Lopez 2B
Guzman SS
Zimmerman 3B
Young 1B
Kearns RF
Church LF
Schneider C
Langerhans CF
Chico P

I'll check in with draft and game updates during the day.

By Barry Svrluga  |  June 7, 2007; 9:54 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Patterson update
Next: Pregame Potpourri

Comments

Hey, I'm first!
I always knew Guzman could do this. And I'm sorry for all those things I said about Ryan Church.

Posted by: cevans | June 7, 2007 10:11 AM | Report abuse

I was at the game last night. Was Nook "Meat" Logan safe or out at 3B last night on that quick tag play? Thanks

Posted by: ChrisC | June 7, 2007 10:20 AM | Report abuse

ChrisC:

On TV, from four angles, he looked safe. Even Don Sutton said so.

Posted by: Section 506 (After moving) | June 7, 2007 10:34 AM | Report abuse

We should seriously consider swapping Lopez and Guzman, letting Guz lead off and Lopez bat second

Posted by: Jason | June 7, 2007 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Hey Barry,

Given that Zimmerman is pretty well established as the Nationals' third baseman of the future, should we be at all surprised that the Nationals have targeted two third basemen as good possibilities for their #1 pick--especially considering that last year's #1 pick, Chris Marerro, was also a third baseman and now seems to be having trouble finding a position in the minors?

Or are they just so concerned about getting a big bat that they're willing to take someone no matter their position?

Posted by: Jamos | June 7, 2007 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Jason speaks truth, at the very least. My run-hungry self wouldn't mind seeing less Lopez and more Belliard, for that matter.

See you this afternoon at RFK.

Posted by: Hendo | June 7, 2007 10:45 AM | Report abuse

odds on trying to pick up B. Cecil from Maryland at 31? this kid could help out the team quick.

Posted by: raph | June 7, 2007 11:07 AM | Report abuse

-Jamos:

It doesn't really matter what their high school/college position was, a lot of these guys change positions coming up through the minors due to how they develop, how their bodies fill out, etc.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 7, 2007 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Is it me or does there seem to be a sudden increase in umpire mistakes?

Posted by: NatsNut | June 7, 2007 12:05 PM | Report abuse

NatsNut: No, it isn't you! I have felt for too long that they are arrogant and over-rated, but lately, they have been getting worse. Floating strike-zones and just plain sloppy work on which the lesser team(s) consistently get the shaft.

Jason:As for switching Guzman and Lopez, I've been saying that for a month.

Posted by: Dancer13 | June 7, 2007 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Re: Umpire mistakes

Is it league wide or are umps just making bad calls on our last place team?

I loved when John Roberts was saying during his confirmation hearings that he was going "to be an umpire" and "just call balls and strikes" when everyone knows umpires are very subjective.

Posted by: Section 506 (After moving) | June 7, 2007 12:18 PM | Report abuse

My seatmate and I have a theory going: When there's a full count and the next pitch is borderline, players SHOULD NOT start walking to first until the ump calls it. More times than not, when our boys start walking before blue calls it, he's gonna call it a strike. Could be wrong, but it sure looks like it.

Posted by: NatsNut | June 7, 2007 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Right on, NatsNut, though last night it provided Guzzie with a hilarious "ran out of steam" moment as he slowed comically and let is bat droop.

Posted by: Section 506 (After moving) | June 7, 2007 12:40 PM | Report abuse

WHOOOOO, BANG, ZOOM GO THE FIREWORKS! Another home run for Dmitri

Posted by: Section 506 (After moving) | June 7, 2007 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Natsnut, it depends. A rookie does that, and the pitch can hit the mascot, it'll be a strike. Nick Johnson or another veteran known to have a good eye, maybe gets a call or two.

Posted by: cevans | June 7, 2007 2:21 PM | Report abuse