Rain, rain, go away

I'm not sure, but maybe you can help. Is it a good sign when the tunnel between the Nationals' clubhouse and the dugout is already stacked with sand bags? Mull it over.

I, myself, can't figure out how they're going to get this baby in. Both teams are off tomorrow, and it would seem that would be a logical makeup date. Perhaps in the afternoon? There's tons of Little League kids on the warning track right now, hiding under umbrellas. Not exactly what they had in mind for their big day at the ballpark, I'm sure.

However, the optimists in the house have printed lineup sheets and passed them out, so I'll pass them on to you.

San Diego:
M. Giles -- 4
Sledge -- 7
Gonzalez -- 3
Cameron -- 8
Bard -- 2
Kouzmanoff -- 5
Greene -- 6
McAnulty -- 9
Wells -- 7

Washington:
Guzman -- 6 (who woulda thunk he'd be hitting first -- and it would seem like a good idea)
Belliard -- 4 (just a day off for Lopez)
Zimmerman -- 5
Young -- 3
Kearns -- 9
Church -- 7
Flores -- 2
Logan -- 8
Simontacchi -- 1

News: John Patterson threw 40 pitches, including curveballs and sliders, in a rain-soaked bullpen session and said he felt good. He'll throw another bullpen on Wednesday, and then head to Potomac -- not for a rehab stint, but to throw a simulated game next Sunday, when the team is in Minnesota. He's very encouraged by all this.

I'll let you know if the rain stops.

By Barry Svrluga  |  June 3, 2007; 11:42 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Nationals in the community
Next: Stan Kasten is here saying ...

Comments

Thanks, Barry, for the weather update and encouraging news on Patterson.

Posted by: natsfan1a | June 3, 2007 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Lopez needs a day off after hitting into two rally killing double plays last night. Ugh.

I had the feeling when I got up this morning that there wouldn't be a game. In fact, I'm surprised they haven't called it off yet as it's supposed to rain all day.

But I just heard the news that Pinella has been suspended indefinitely for the tirade yesterday. Next to the Nats, the Cubs are my favorite team. So you know I like to suffer.

Anthony

Posted by: Anthony D. Langford | June 3, 2007 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Barry

I had the opportunity to attend last night's Seattle Mariners game and the pregame festivities in which they inducted Edgar Martinez into the Mariners' Hall of Fame.

Through the night they played over and over a clutch double he hit which they referred to as "the biggest hit in Mariners' history."

That got me to wondering, what was the biggest hit in Nationals' history?

discuss...

Posted by: I hate walks | June 3, 2007 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Totally annoying that they haven't called this game. I have tickets, but I am not going to schlep to the game that will start late and be delayed multiple times. Gotta wonder if they are thinking about the fans trying to get this game in today. Tomorrow is an off day, so why not do it then? No one is going to show today, anyway.

Posted by: Max | June 3, 2007 12:47 PM | Report abuse

I was thinking the same thing.

Posted by: natsfan1a | June 3, 2007 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Come on you diehards...get out to the stadium. Best ever Nationals hit...I vote for Zimms walk off against the spankees last year. If only I weren't several hundred miles away, I'd make the trek to RFK...but...GO NATS...STAY HOT

Posted by: SC Nats Fan | June 3, 2007 1:22 PM | Report abuse

That was a good one. Guillen's go-ahead hit the day before wasn't too shabby either. Two of my favorite Nats games ever, along with Patterson's complete game shutout in August 2005.

---